When 10000 barrels of crude oil roll down your street

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: When 10000 barrels of crude oil roll down your street

Unread post by Vrede too »

Army Corps Denies Easement For Dakota Access Pipeline

... Jo-Ellen Darcy, the the Army's assistant secretary for civil works, said after talking with tribal officials and hearing their concerns that the pipeline could affect the drinking water, it became "clear that there's more work to do."

"The best way to complete that work responsibly and expeditiously is to explore alternate routes for the pipeline crossing," Darcy said in a statement.

The Army Corps says it intends to issue an Environmental Impact Statement with "full public input and analysis."
:clap: :clap: :clap: :---P (alcohol based flamethrower)

I think my posting here the 2 petitions on the previous page was the tipping point. :D

Yes, Trump can grant the easement, but this means that most of the water protectors won't have to suffer through the worst of the ND winter.

I may never have gone, but I was thinking about it - possibly mid-January figuring that it would be the worst and that I have better gear and experience for dealing with High Plains cold than many. Now, I'm sorry that I'm not there for tonight's party.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Signs Of A Creepy Government Conspiracy At Standing Rock

Anyone doing ANY protesting - or who might happen to be in the vicinity of any protesting - should read this.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Someone here, along with Snowden, has been saying for years that the prime purpose of the national security state is and always has been to spy on Americans and stifle dissent rather than to "fight terrorism, interdict drugs", etc. Oh wait . . .

Now, imagine that you're a dissenter without the moral credibility of a Native tribe, 5000 nonviolent yet hardcore onsite people, healthy fundraising and massive national and international solidarity.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Now for the downsides:
DAPL may still get built as originally planned, hurting and jailing a lot of people in the process.
DAPL may get rerouted, probably an improvement over a particularly bad choice but still a grave environmental threat.
If somehow stopped entirely, it's still 92% complete. They could ship by truck and rail from one terminus to another.
Stopping a single pipeline alone does little about our destructive gluttony other than minimally increase costs.

That said, this is a huge victory for Earth and climate organizing even if the one battle ultimately fails. It will serve as an inspiration and model for years to come in this fight that we must win. Also, historically oppressed Native Americans have new political life and power. In most cases this will lead to good things.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Why I Joined My Fellow Vets at Standing Rock This Weekend

By Tom Petersen, Former Marine and Retired Air Traffic Controller

When I joined the Marines 40 years ago, I took a vow to “support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.” That’s why I drove from the suburbs of Minneapolis to the Standing Rock Indian Reservation this weekend to join other military veterans in protesting the Dakota Access Pipeline.

For the past few months, I have watched from afar as para-militarized police forces from nine states have targeted peaceful protestors at Standing Rock with tear gas, freezing water, rubber bullets, concussion grenades, and other life-threatening crowd control weapons.

The Standing Rock Sioux understandably don’t want an oil pipeline so close to the source of their drinking water and don’t want it to cross through their sacred ancestral lands. They and their supporters have every right to protest this, and the way they were treated really bothered me. It really looked to me like the government of North Dakota felt like they could do whatever they wanted because these people are Native Americans, and I don’t approve of that....
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Speaking of pipelines, the Missouri River and western North Dakota:

Weather Affects Oil Pipeline Spill Cleanup in North Dakota
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

When 176,000 gallons of crude oil roll down your creek

Same spill:
Pipeline spills 176,000 gallons of crude into creek about 150 miles from Dakota Access protest camp

... North Dakota officials estimate more than 176,000 gallons of crude oil leaked from the Belle Fourche Pipeline into the Ash Coulee Creek....

It's not yet clear why electronic monitoring equipment didn't detect the leak ...

Energy Transfer Partners says the Dakota Access pipeline would include safeguards such as leak detection equipment and that workers monitoring the pipeline remotely in Texas could close valves within three minutes if a breach is detected....

Suess said the spill migrated almost 6 miles from the spill site along Ash Coulee Creek, and it fouled an unknown amount of private and U.S. Forest Service land along the waterway....

Suess says about 37,000 gallons of oil have been recovered.

"It's going to take some time," Suess said of the cleanup. "Obviously there will be some component of the cleanup that will go toward spring."

True Cos. has a history of oil field–related spills in North Dakota and Montana, including a January 2015 pipeline break into the Yellowstone River. The 32,000-gallon spill temporarily shut down water supplies in the downstream community of Glendive, Montana, after oil was detected in the city's water treatment system.

True Cos. operates at least three pipeline companies with a combined 1,648 miles of line in Montana, North Dakota and Wyoming, according to information the companies submitted to federal regulators. Since 2006, the companies have reported 36 spills totaling 320,000 gallons of petroleum products, most of which was never recovered.
Make that at least half a million gallons now with only 18% or less having been recovered from this spill.
1312. ETTD.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Mr.B wrote:Image
Agreed. I've made this point a couple times in this thread.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

rstrong wrote: "Agreed. I've made this point a couple times in this thread."
Just backing you up. A picture is worth a thousand words.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Heck, I made that point on this page. However:
They are defending that one locale.
People are also working on truck and rail transport.
The assumption that we can't reduce consumption is fallacious. Increased costs by whatever means contribute to that.
Mr.B never does anything to be "environmentally friendly". That he cares about it is a far more laughable "illusion".
1312. ETTD.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

Vrede too wrote:"Heck, I made that point on this page. However:
They are defending that one locale.
People are also working on truck and rail transport.
The assumption that we can't reduce consumption is fallacious. Increased costs by whatever means contribute to that.
Mr.B never does anything to be "environmentally friendly". That he cares about it is a far more laughable "illusion".
You needn't worry Vrede; I wasn't trying to top your earlier points; you're safe. ;)

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Gravity-defying protesters hang high above Vikings field (US Bank Stadium) during game

Don’t you dare call this a meaningless game between the Chicago Bears and Minnesota Vikings. High above the field in US Bank Stadium in Minneapolis, a man was hanging out in the rafters from a banner that appears to protest a pipeline in North Dakota.

Oh, and the man happens to be wearing a Brett Favre Vikings No. 4 jersey....

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

3 released in Dakota Access pipeline stadium protest

... The protesters rappelled into place during the second quarter ...

The protesters willingly climbed up their ropes when the game ended ...
:clap:
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

The train in the Lac-Mégantic rail disaster - which killed 47 people - was carrying crude from North Dakota. It's good to hear that they're trying to build a pipeline to replace the rail shipments!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Warning: Opinion may not be universally popular.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

As you know, consumption can be reduced, alternative energy can be pursued, pipelines can be rerouted and rail can be made safer, but I'm not surprised to hear 'Drill, baby, drill, build, baby, build, screw the Injuns' from Cruz and Palin's countryman. :P
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Sure, consumption can be reduced and alternative energy can be pursued. Instead of 74-cars rolling into a town and exploding, it'll be only 64 cars.

Oil usage can and will be lowered a lot more, but that's further off. Replacing rail with pipeline makes things safer in the short term. Pipe can also be made safer.

But yes, rerouting the pipeline through a reservation was just obnoxious.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Major lithium deposits have been found in Wyoming's Rock Springs Uplift. Which will make Wyoming a tad less picturesque, but you can visit the state when it trundles past on rail cars on the way to the battery factory.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Most of the new pipelines I'm aware of are for expanding production, not replacing rail.
1312. ETTD.

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Boatrocker »

rstrong wrote:Major lithium deposits have been found in Wyoming's Rock Springs Uplift. Which will make Wyoming a tad less picturesque, but you can visit the state when it trundles past on rail cars on the way to the battery factory.
". . . Well, I'm sorry, my son, but you're too late in askin',
Mr. Peabody's coal train done hauled it away."
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.