Big Brother is Watching You

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Leo Lyons
Ensign

Re: Big Brother is Watching You

Unread post by Leo Lyons »

Vrede too wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 9:15 am
Leo Lyons wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 5:54 pm
You're too funny. Thanks for the laugh Mr. Deuterostome. :lol:
Back at ya'. It's hilarious when you get busted whining and lying and then run shrieking away from all personal responbsibility. (sic)
Still clinging to your copyrights on those fancy phrases, I see. (Ya'ought'a try spell-check)

Leo Lyons
Ensign

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 10:15 am
Kinda funny that he actually says he cares much more than he could.
That's a good way to put it! :lol: Caring and not wanting to get involved is two different matters.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Leo Lyons wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 5:15 pm
Still clinging to your copyrights on those fancy phrases, I see. (Ya'ought'a try spell-check)
Still clinging to wussy deflection from having been busted whining and lying, desperately seeking vindication in a typo and emulating Mr.B. Poor widdle mass murderer of kids defending snowflake.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Engadget: UK orders Cambridge Analytica to provide data on US voter

As Cambridge Analytica had processed his data in the UK, an an American professor had filed a test case to see if he would receive access despite living on the other side of the Atlantic. This was back in January 2017, well before the Cambridge Analytica data sharing scandal became public.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

rstrong wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 12:57 am
Engadget: UK orders Cambridge Analytica to provide data on US voter

As Cambridge Analytica had processed his data in the UK, an an American professor had filed a test case to see if he would receive access despite living on the other side of the Atlantic. This was back in January 2017, well before the Cambridge Analytica data sharing scandal became public.
My family, more tach savvy than me, scoffed when I said, "I don't do NSAbook."
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Leo Lyons wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 5:17 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
That's a good way to put it! :lol: Caring and not wanting to get involved is two different matters.

You are the one who screwed up the english. The phrase you were looking goes thisa way,

I couldn't care less.

See how simply l am able to communicate that no matter how hard I try there is no way that I could care less because I am already at my extreme for not caring.

Had I stupidly said that "I could care less", as you did, it would mean that I really do care, since I could have cared less than my current level of caring.
As in, I couldn't care less how many names you use.
See, it's so easy.
Now and forevermore i can truthfully say that I taught you something. Cool.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 12:12 pm
... As in, I couldn't care less how many names you use....
I could care less how many names Leo Lyons uses. :D
1312. ETTD.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Vrede too wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 5:50 pm
.... emulating Mr.B.
Vrede too wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 12:55 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 12:12 pm
... As in, I couldn't care less how many names you use....
I could care less how many names Leo Lyons uses. :D
I love how Mr. B messed with your heads. :lol:

Leo Lyons
Ensign

billy.pilgrim wrote:

You are the one who screwed up the english. The phrase you were looking goes thisa way, I couldn't care less.

See how simply l am able to communicate that no matter how hard I try there is no way that I could care less because I am already at my extreme for not caring.

Had I stupidly said that "I could care less", as you did, it would mean that I really do care, since I could have cared less than my current level of caring.
As in, I couldn't care less how many names you use. See, it's so easy.
Now and forevermore i can truthfully say that I taught you something. Cool.
Please know your kind gesture is greatly appreciated, but it seems it would be a matter of personal preference; unless of course, you are attempting to unseat Vrede as the top grammar policeman! :lol: :lol:

What’s the Trouble?

People say they could care less when, logically, they mean they couldn’t care less.

The phrase "I couldn’t care less" originated in Britain and made its way to the United States in the 1950s.
The phrase "I could care less" appeared in the US about a decade later.

In the early 1990s, the well-known Harvard professor and language writer Stephen Pinker
argued that the way most people say could care less—the way they emphasize the words—implies they are being ironic or sarcastic.

Other linguists have argued that the type of sound at the end of "couldn’t" is naturally dropped by sloppy or slurring speakers.

** Regardless of the reason people say they could care less, it is one of the more
common language peeves because of its illogical nature. To say you could care less means you have a bit of caring left,
which is not what the speakers seem to intend.
The proper "couldn’t care less" is still the dominant form in print, but "could care less"
has been steadily gaining ground since its appearance in the 1960s.

** Shouldn't that word be 'Irregardless'?

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

"but "could care less" has been steadily gaining ground since its appearance in the 1960s". "as republicans claim victory in their war on education and against words having actual meanings.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Leo Lyons
Ensign

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 2:00 pm
"but "could care less" has been steadily gaining ground since its appearance in the 1960s". "as republicans claim victory in their war on education and against words having actual meanings.
I couldn't care less! :mrgreen: I am so past the '60's! :mrgreen:

Leo Lyons
Ensign

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 2:00 pm
. . . as republicans claim victory in their war on education and against words having actual meanings.
And the Democrats want to abolish cursive writing and analog clocks in schools. You have to admit it Billy, the whole damn system is gone ape-sh!t bonkers; it makes no difference in your political leaning. The Republicans can claim no more of a victory than anyone else; hell, they don't even have to compete.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Dropping mandatory instruction in cursive (not "abolish") isn't really a partisan issue, and California - one of the most Democratic states - is one that does require it.
Useful information for someone interested in cursive here... https://www.pbs.org/newshour/education/ ... ss-schools

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Leo Lyons wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 9:53 am
And the Democrats want to abolish cursive writing and analog clocks in schools.....
It's a widespread and dishonest myth that Common Core is a Dem thing. It originated with the GOP-dominated National Governors Association.
1312. ETTD.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Vrede too wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 10:19 am
Leo Lyons wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 9:53 am
And the Democrats want to abolish cursive writing and analog clocks in schools.....
It's a widespread and dishonest myth that Common Core is a Dem thing. It originated with the GOP-dominated National Governors Association.
In your link, Wikipedia dishonestly wrote: " As part of this education reform movement, the nation's governors and corporate leaders founded Achieve, Inc. in 1996 as a bipartisan organization to raise academic standards and graduation requirements, improve assessments, and strengthen accountability in all 50 states"

Maybe I shouldn't have said "abolish". Anyway, regardless what or who makes these decisions are about as fruitloop as these numbnuts who write articles in Yahoo that tell us "You've been doing (whatever) all wrong". Democrats and Repubs are no different; each group wants people to do, think, act, and want what they think we should do, think, act or want.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Leo Lyons wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 2:00 pm
In your link, Wikipedia dishonestly wrote: " As part of this education reform movement, the nation's governors and corporate leaders founded Achieve, Inc. in 1996 as a bipartisan organization to raise academic standards and graduation requirements, improve assessments, and strengthen accountability in all 50 states"

Maybe I shouldn't have said "abolish". Anyway, regardless what or who makes these decisions are about as fruitloop as these numbnuts who write articles in Yahoo that tell us "You've been doing (whatever) all wrong". Democrats and Repubs are no different; each group wants people to do, think, act, and want what they think we should do, think, act or want.
Riiight, like you had any clue at all before I posted the link.

Ummm, if the National Governors Association was 49 Repugs and 1 Dem, it would still be bipartisan, duh. It was and remains GOP-dominated, as I said. Maybe an ESL class will help you out, irony. You screwed up in perpetuating a myth by dishonestly blaming the Dems rather than saying "bipartisan" or even more accurately 'mostly GOP'. Just man up when you flub, it won't be as humiliating.

Fwiw, I kinda like analog clocks, but have and use mostly digital ones, don't care what kind of clocks are in schools and am fine with it if they abolish cursive writing. I stopped writing in cursive in 3rd (?) grade when a teacher neatness shamed me in front of class and it didn't hurt me in any way to print for the rest of my life. Why are you so upset over clocks and cursive?
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

I don't remember when I stopped using cursive, but it was decades ago. For a long time, I've used a sort of cursivish printing style, mostly print. The best argument I head for cursive is to create a signature. There is the problem of not being able to read original documents written in cursive, but really, that applies now for anything written much earlier than the early 19th century. Must we really learn to read middle English, too, so we can read Chaucer in the original?

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 5:40 pm
I don't remember when I stopped using cursive, but it was decades ago. For a long time, I've used a sort of cursivish printing style, mostly print. The best argument I head for cursive is to create a signature. There is the problem of not being able to read original documents written in cursive, but really, that applies now for anything written much earlier than the early 19th century. Must we really learn to read middle English, too, so we can read Chaucer in the original?

I am now the only family member who can read Mom's writing. Well, Mom probably could, but she doesn't do reading much these days. Alzheimer's sucks.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Vrede too wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 2:16 pm
Riiight, like you had any clue at all before I posted the link.
Hell, you never had no clue AFTER you posted the link! You wrote that it's a widespread and dishonest myth that Common Core is a Dem thing. It originated with the GOP-dominated National Governors Association. You silly dingwoofle, it's a known fact that Bill Gates, a staunch Democrat was and probably still is, the largest contributor to Common Core.

Ummm, if the National Governors Association was 49 Repugs and 1 Dem, it would still be bipartisan, duh. It was and remains GOP-dominated, as I said.
Will you ever forgive me for ever doubting you? Sorry I baited you; you're too easy!

Maybe an ESL class will help you out, irony. You screwed up in perpetuating a myth by dishonestly blaming the Dems rather than saying "bipartisan" or even more accurately 'mostly GOP'. Just man up when you flub, it won't be as humiliating.
I didn't flub, I did that on purpose. I knew that would get your narcisstic juices flowing! :lol: (No wonder you despise Mr.B, Homerphobe, and who all else for identifying your mental state) :lol: :violent: :lol: (just picking on ya)

Seriously though, the move to remove analog clocks began in Great Britain, and the idea is seriously being tossed around here in NY and NJ. As for cursive writing, I don't recall whose idea that was; I'm too lazy to look it up.

Fwiw, I kinda like analog clocks, but have and use mostly digital ones, don't care what kind of clocks are in schools and am fine with it if they abolish cursive writing. I stopped writing in cursive in 3rd (?) grade when a teacher neatness shamed me in front of class and it didn't hurt me in any way to print for the rest of my life.
Going through life as a victim is a bitch, ain't it! How many years did you have to stay in 3rd. grade?

Why are you so upset over clocks and cursive?
I'm not, but by reading your reply to my posts, a good dose of Immodium would be in order for you! :lol: :lol:

Leo Lyons
Ensign

O Really wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 5:40 pm
I was under the impression that when doctors and lawyers graduated from doctor and lawyer schools, decipherable, cursive writing was erased from their memories and they had a writing of their own origination?? I can agree with your analogy of "a sort of cursivish printing style, mostly print", because I've yet to figure out what ever is written by a lawyer or doctor!
(p.s. FWIW, I mostly print, but with an added cursive flair)