Big Brother is Watching You

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Big Brother is Watching You

Unread post by Vrede too »

Agreed, the team of perpetual snoopers that you root for have largely won.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

I think the "perpetual snoopers" should be able to at least keep up with or hopefully stay a half pace ahead of the bad guys. It's really just opposite sides of the same argument: if you made the printers unable to identify themselves to protect the protest leaflet distributors, you would at the same time protect the ransom note writers.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Not tolerating cameras in every bedroom "protects" rapists and child molesters.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

That's true, and that's my point that it's just two sides of the same argument. Balancing reasonable usefulness with risk.

O Really
Admiral

One could argue about just how "private" an email address is to start with, but this is an interesting study that seems to show that it's pretty easy to get personal data even without high tech support...
https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/29 ... picks=true

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Boatrocker »

O Really wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:46 am
One could argue about just how "private" an email address is to start with, but this is an interesting study that seems to show that it's pretty easy to get personal data even without high tech support...
https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/29 ... picks=true
98% of college students are apparently fucking idiots. But if you're talking about froshies and sophomores, well, they're still mostly high schoolers in thought and conduct. IOW, idiots.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

How the government can read your email
It's a provision called Section 702, it's not as limited as supporters say—and this year Congress has a chance to scale it back.

... Lawmakers are preparing to reauthorize certain provisions of the FISA law, and Section 702 has become a flash point. Opponents say it infringes on Americans’ privacy; supporters see it as crucial to keeping America safe from terrorists. Proponents of reauthorization, like Senate Intelligence Committee Chairman Richard Burr (R-NC) and Director of National Intelligence Dan Coats, make a simple case for preserving Section 702: Intelligence agencies don’t use it to target Americans deliberately—and if any American’s information is collected, it’s only to protect U.S. national security....
:roll: :cussing:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:46 pm

It was always more about the shame of our war crimes being exposed than it was about a real threat to US national security.
Without regard to the probable accuracy of your comment, it wasn't for lack of trying that Chelsea may not have caused much if any damage. It seems unlikely that she would have been able to curate the "hundreds of thousands" of documents to assure that disclosure would not endanger security.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Could be, she is what she is and we can't do anything about that. What our government and military did, are doing and how they reacted and react otoh . . .
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

UN Experts Decry Surge in Anti-Protest Bills in US States

Petition to the House of Representatives:

We demand strong reforms to the government’s surveillance powers under Section 702 of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act. Reject the Senate’s proposed permanent reauthorization of Section 702 – or any reauthorization lacking reforms that prevent innocent Americans’ personal communications from being swept up, stored in databases, and searched by intelligence agencies without a warrant. If those reforms are not possible, let Section 702 expire at the end of 2017.
1312. ETTD.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

The propaganda campaign against protesting (I saw all these leveled at the "women's march" a while back), includes:
  • Leaches/Welfare people - Why aren't they at work? Must have nothing better to do while us hard-working Americans are out making a living.
  • Children that didn't get their way - Whiny snowflakes are just mad they didn't get their way and need to grow up and accept the status quo.
  • Violence- They're out destroying things. Burning cars, destroying and looting stores, and shutting down infrastructure.
And others. Basically any form of dissent has been cast as un-American. Not gonna lie, it worked on me for a bit. I still don't agree with destroying things in your community, though, and I'd be pretty pissed if someone tried to trash something that belonged to me like my car or something, but that's only a small subset of protests.

See the latest NRA add that everyone is up in arms about.
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Most rioters, not counting the police provocateurs and some immature and self-defeating anarchists, are opportunists rather than actual protestors and dissidents.

I wonder if they call the original Boston Tea Party violent "Leaches/Welfare people, Children that didn't get their way"?
1312. ETTD.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

The image of the "blue collar man breaking his back and toughing it out in the mines through masculine determination sacrificing for his family earning his keep" is contrasted with the "young effeminate trust fund financed college student protestor trashing things others have bbuilt, who doesn't work and has everything handed to him/her in life majoring in a useless major all the while telling others how to live "

But if you go out and actually speak with people, we know this isn't the case. Life is much more complex. Its easier for people to digest large amounts of data when you compress it down into simple little tidbits like I did above. I think it's human nature for us to do this. And we all do it to a certain extent. But I think it's good to be aware of what's going on.
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

These same people have no problem with it when it's rightwing protestors here or in a country like, say, Venezuela where they don't like the government.

"Why aren't they at work?" - In my generally respected profession I haven't worked banker's hours since a summer in a migrant worker clinic a quarter century ago, and I can't remember for sure whether that was strict banker's hours. Plus, a lot of the demos they whine about are in the evenings, over lunch hour or on weekends.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Tell Congress: Don’t Make Internet Spying Powers Permanent

The U.S. government’s Internet spying powers are set to expire at the end of this year. As Congress considers the looming deadline for reauthorization, lawmakers should be looking to rein in warrantless spying on millions of innocent people, not trying to make it permanent.
Top Canadian Court Permits Worldwide Internet Censorship
A country has the right to prevent the world’s Internet users from accessing information, Canada’s highest court ruled on Wednesday.

... EFF intervened in the case, explaining [.pdf] that such an injunction ran directly contrary to both the U.S. Constitution and statutory speech protections. Issuing an order that would cut off access to information for U.S. users would set a dangerous precedent for online speech. In essence, it would expand the power of any court in the world to edit the entire Internet, whether or not the targeted material or site is lawful in another country. That, we warned, is likely to result in a race to the bottom, as well-resourced individuals engage in international forum-shopping to impose the one country’s restrictive laws regarding free expression on the rest of the world.

The Supreme Court of Canada ignored those concerns. It ruled that because Google was subject to the jurisdiction of Canadian courts by virtue of its operations in Canada, courts in Canada had the authority to order Google to delete search results worldwide. The court further held that there was no inconvenience to Google in removing search results, and Google had not shown the injunction would offend any rights abroad....
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

'Torture memo' author nominated for Trump administration post

:roll:

Petition to the U.S. Senate:

"An enabler of George W. Bush’s torture program has no place in the federal government. Block and resist Trump’s nomination of torture memo author Steven Bradbury."
1312. ETTD.