Syria/Iraq

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: Syria

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Not to worry; John McCain is over there now to meet the Syrian rebels. I feel sure he'll stop by Jerusalem or Tel Aviv on his way back and straighten all this out. Besides, he doesn't want Israel to be inconvenienced....that's why he's over there now to generate support for yet another American military misadventure. The last ten years of war are rapidly coming to a close, and Johnny just can't stand it.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

The European Union just decided to lift the arms embargo on the Syrian opposition. Looks like they've given up on negotiating with Assad Russia.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Unread post by Leo Lyons »

Vrede wrote:U.S. senator McCain pictured with Syrian rebel kidnapper

Opps.
"A number of the Syrians who greeted Senator McCain upon his arrival in Syria asked to take pictures with him, and as always, the senator complied.
If the individual photographed with Senator McCain is in fact Mohammad Nour, that is regrettable," spokesman Brian Rogers said.

Oh crap, and Opps indeed; that is regrettable!

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Not a surprising event to occur on a fool's errand.

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Boatrocker »

With all respect for a veteran- a sailor I once admired very much- I seriously suspect it is getting close to time for an Alzheimer's screening. Word to Cindy.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

Wneglia
Midshipman

Unread post by Wneglia »

Wneglia
Midshipman

Unread post by Wneglia »

Vrede wrote:On one side we have Assad, a semi-secularist who has maintained semi-peace with Israel but clearly has to go.
On the other side we have the rebels who the UN thinks have used chemical weapons and who are heavily influenced by foreign and domestic Islamists.

What do you advocate, Wneglia? I'm glad I'm not the one deciding.
If we had taken action soon after Assad began his bloodbath, the rebels likely would not have accepted Al Qaeda's offer of help. At this point, it our support would likely be too little , too late.

:mrgreen:

Wneglia
Midshipman

Unread post by Wneglia »

Vrede wrote:20-20 hindsight? The GOP largely opposed Obama's intervention in the easier to contain and far less complex Libyan revolt. Of course, supporting the "right" side, whatever it is, would be far easier if Shrub hadn't mucked things up so thoroughly in the region by invading Iraq.

I think the opposition to Assad has been heavily Islamist from the start, AQ jumped in later.

What do you advocate now, Wneglia, if this is about anything other than just slamming Obama for things no one could predict? You're the one that posted the Clinton (known to dislike Obama) article.
No fly zone.

Wneglia
Midshipman

Unread post by Wneglia »

Vrede wrote:Okay, thanks, that's military action on behalf of the rebels who the UN thinks have used chemical weapons and who are heavily influenced by foreign and domestic Islamists.

Could be that's the best we can do in our own interests and the interest of justice and future peace, I just don't have your certainty. If I had to pick one thing I'd go with the far less expensive and risky tactic of bribing of Assad to leave for safe haven, along with guarantees from the rebels of of non-retribution against the Alawites, but I don't know how that would turn out, either.
France and Britain think it is Assad that is using the chemical weapons.

Wneglia
Midshipman

Unread post by Wneglia »

Vrede wrote:I know. It seems that absolute proof is still sketchy and that both sides have committed atrocities. That's why I prefer non-military action on our part. Once we start killing people the consequences can be unpredictable, costly and very ugly.
I agree, but if we could at least keep Assad's air force on the ground, it would perhaps cut down the collateral damage to innocent civilians.

Cowboy
Pilot Officer

Unread post by Cowboy »

Wneglia wrote:I agree, but if we could at least keep Assad's air force on the ground, it would perhaps cut down the collateral damage to innocent civilians.
What if they shoot down some of our planes?
Then what?

Wneglia
Midshipman

Unread post by Wneglia »

Cowboy wrote:
Wneglia wrote:I agree, but if we could at least keep Assad's air force on the ground, it would perhaps cut down the collateral damage to innocent civilians.
What if they shoot down some of our planes?
Then what?
How many American or Nato planes have been shot down enforcing no fly zones in the past?

Stinger
Sub-Lieutenant

Unread post by Stinger »

Boatrocker wrote:With all respect for a veteran- a sailor I once admired very much- I seriously suspect it is getting close to time for an Alzheimer's screening. Word to Cindy.
"Who's Cindy?" John asked.

Stinger
Sub-Lieutenant

Unread post by Stinger »

Vrede wrote:20-20 hindsight? The GOP largely opposed Obama's intervention in the easier to contain and far less complex Libyan revolt. Of course, supporting the "right" side, whatever it is, would be far easier if Shrub hadn't mucked things up so thoroughly in the region by invading Iraq.
McCain and many other Pubs were demanding action on Libya. Of course, when Obama gave aid, the wingnuts exploded with delusions of boots on the grounds, shipments of Marines to Libya, etc., etc., etc. that never happened. I had to correct one just the other day who was claiming Obama started a war. Hypocritical dumbasses.

Cowboy
Pilot Officer

Unread post by Cowboy »

Wneglia wrote:
Cowboy wrote:What if they shoot down some of our planes?
Then what?
How many American or Nato planes have been shot down enforcing no fly zones in the past?

There is always a first time.

Bungalow Bill
Ensign

Unread post by Bungalow Bill »

Is Clinton back in fifth grade? Let Obama be a wuss, it's better than the alternative
of another muckup in that part of the world. He has been wise to stay out so far,
but I have a feeling that, sooner or later, he will get involved. I hope not. Looking at
the big picture, I'll stick with Assad and Hezbollah. :thumbup:

Dryer Vent
Pilot Officer

Unread post by Dryer Vent »

The whole thing is a mess...the whole Middle East is a mess. I can see Obama's point about the chemical weapons, and I can see the problem with the US going in to another situation. On this one, I am just going to trust the President and Congress to decide what to do about this heinous action in Syria. I don't know what they know, so I guess I just have to have faith that our leadership will do the right thing.

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

We need to stay the fuck out of it. How many US-made Stingers, originally given to the mujahidin, did the Taliban end up shooting back at us? A totalitarian Islamic dictatorship against a radical Islamic insurgency; what dog do we have in that fight?
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Boatrocker wrote: what dog do we have in that fight?
Apparently this one...
2013617123821_samaa_tv.jpg
2013617123821_samaa_tv.jpg (6.55 KiB) Viewed 3590 times

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

For teabaggers, any excuse to shoot weapons (and buy more!) is a good one.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.