The Worker Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Mr.B
A bad person.

Re: The Worker Thread

Unread post by Mr.B »

Vrede too wrote:"According to the article Walmart makes it difficult for workers to access company policy."
That is not true.

"That it's on work computers doesn't mean that workers really have the time or ability to look stuff up anytime they need to."
'Associates' are given on-the-clock time to perform required job-updates on company-owned computers. During this time, they are also free to access any company-owned information that their position in the company allows them to access. The only thing I couldn't access was upper-level management sites that required a password and employee access code. 'Associates' can also use computers on lunch breaks and scheduled break times if they wish.

"I'm often looking up work stuff from home or if I'm at work but not actually on-shift. I can submit time for this, but I doubt that Walmart workers can." You're correct. Walmart will only pay you for online searches during normal working hours. Some info can be searched at home, but for the most part, you will be denied access because you are "not clocked in".

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Vrede too wrote:According to the article Walmart makes it difficult for workers to access company policy. That it's on work computers doesn't mean that workers really have the time or ability to look stuff up anytime they need to. I'm often looking up work stuff from home or if I'm at work but not actually on-shift. I can submit time for this, but I doubt that Walmart workers can.
Yes, but the article was written primarily on what the App people said and what Wal-Mart said. It was the App people that said it was difficult to access company policy. It's not. And it's not necessary to do it only from company machines. Wal-Mart certainly is known for pushing the legal and ethical lines very hard (and then shoving a little more pasts that line frequently) regarding anything that starts with the letter "U". As I have said before and say again, I don't have many kind words for Wal-Mart's labor practices. But "making it difficult to access company policy" really isn't one of them.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

O Really wrote: "As I have said before and say again, I don't have many kind words for Wal-Mart's labor practices. But "making it difficult to access company policy" really isn't one of them."
And both of those points are what I'm agreeing with.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

So, these are lies?
... Currently, employees say they must log onto a terminal at work to check company policies....

"It is really hard to get time to access the computers at work to look things up," said Betsy Marler, a Walmart employee in Mobile, Ala. who is a member of OUR Walmart....
Either way, an outside forum for research and discussion seems like a good thing. Plus, not everyone has a lawyer's ability to interpret policy even if it is accessible.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

Vrede too wrote:So, these are lies?
"... Currently, employees say they must log onto a terminal at work to check company policies...."
No, it's not a "lie". They must be clocked in because practically all major employers have faced lawsuits where employees allege they had to access company info on their own time. A JC Penney employee once filed suit because he was clocked out and while going out the door, he stopped to pick up and dispose of some trash on the floor. He attempted to turn in "time" for working "off the clock".

"It is really hard to get time to access the computers at work to look things up," said Betsy Marler, a Walmart employee in Mobile, Ala. who is a member of OUR Walmart...."
That's not true. As I said earlier, employees are free to use computers on their lunch break or alloted break times which they are REQUIRED to take. Also, they can ask a member of management to use the computer; as well as look up what they want during a scheduled job update while they are clocked in. Of course, if it's a very busy day, there may not be an opportunity to go when they want to; and I'm sure that a Walmart or Sam's in Mobile, Ala. is much busier than say, Hendersonville or Asheville.

O Really
Admiral

It's hard to categorize anything from Wal-Mart or Wal-Mart employees as a "lie." In the store where that employee works, maybe they do need to "log into a terminal to check benefits" but that's not a corporate policy. Stores where there is current organizing activity will have different employee (and management) perceptions than other stores. It could very well be a very handy app. It could be a type of app that Wal-Mart or some other large employer might have had developed themselves, just as they contract for outside firms to do complaint investigation or use data management places like ADP for providing employee access to their pay and benefits data. I'm just saying this particular app, useful or not, primarily benefits the organization that developed it more than the employees.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:... I'm just saying this particular app, useful or not, primarily benefits the organization that developed it more than the employees.
How can you know that one way or the other? Seems like all it gains is a name and email address and one can always unsubscribe from emails.
1312. ETTD.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

Vrede too wrote:
O Really wrote:"... I'm just saying this particular app, useful or not, primarily benefits the organization that developed it more than the employees."
"How can you know that one way or the other? Seems like all it gains is a name and email address and one can always unsubscribe from emails."
Good point; depending on the employee's attitude towards Walmart and/or it's local management.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
O Really wrote:... I'm just saying this particular app, useful or not, primarily benefits the organization that developed it more than the employees.
How can you know that one way or the other? Seems like all it gains is a name and email address and one can always unsubscribe from emails.
Seriously? If I am, for example, a union organizer, I could not ask for much of anything more valuable than a list of employees at a location I'm working on. And if the list is generated by the employees themselves who sign up? And ask me questions? Holy shit - I've hit nirvana. The Borders Books campaign is thought to be the first major one run/won primarily with online communication. Took them a while. If they'd had something like "BordersOne" it would have taken a lot less time. Back in the day, organizers had to rely on building a network, mostly in person, mostly in secret. They could have only dreamed of getting a list of people who, by signing up, already are receptive to being "involved." Norma Rae would have kicked ol' J.P. Stevens ass four ways from Sunday. Sure would have beat holding up a sign.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:Seriously? If I am, for example, a union organizer,
... "OUR Walmart is not currently seeking to unionize Walmart," said co-director Dan Schlademan....
I could not ask for much of anything more valuable than a list of employees at a location I'm working on....

"location" is voluntary and the app works without it.
... The app does ask for a worker's name, email (can unsubscribe(, phone number (can block calls/texts) and zip code; users can input their job title and Walmart store they work at, too....
So, "benefits the organization" has nothing to do with unionization and you haven't made the case that the employees aren't or can't be benefited more. Plus:
WorkIt

WorkIt is a completely FREE app available for Android users to get advice on workplace rights and policies from a group of trained peer advisors and other workers.

Can't get that from the company policy manual.

WorkIt’s trained advisors are current and former Walmart Associates who are volunteering their time to provide support and advice to other Associates.

Use WorkIt to:

ASK QUESTIONS: Ask questions either anonymously or as a registered user about workplace policy and your workplace rights and get quick advice from a group of trained advisors.

Free policy interpretation, as I said.

GET SUPPORT*: Share and hear from other Associates on their experiences with the same questions and issues.

Can't do that safely at work.

COMMON QUESTIONS*: View the most common questions that other Associates are asking, from sick time to management, we’ve got advice and recommendations.

CHAT and GROUP CHAT*: Communicate with other users and share your experiences safely and securely via topic chat or group chat.

PUSH NOTIFICATIONS: Get notified when you have answers or when there are updates that may affect you in your workplace.

* for registered users only

Your privacy and protection are important to us! We have a terms of service and privacy policy that protects your identity (your personal information is not visible to other users) and your data (we don’t share your information with anyone).

Including union organizers.

WorkIt is free of charge (no fees, membership, or credit card is required).

Few Walmart workers can afford a labor attorney like you.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

I didn't say it couldn't be useful to employees. It probably is. But the group behind the app (OUR Walmart) may not be "currently" trying to organize Wal-Mart, but they support the effort. (maybe not all that well, according to this account... http://inthesetimes.com/working/entry/1 ... ack-friday )

My point isn't whether it's a good or useful app. My point is that it is understandable why Wal-Mart might try to (probably falsely) trash it, and why those promoting the app may stretch the facts a little bit on Wal-Mart's dissemination of employee information. Nevertheless, if one did theoretically decide, sometime in the future to "currently" attempt to organize, having a list of a lot of employee email addresses would without doubt be a big tool.

O Really
Admiral

BTW, you know what organizers used to do back in the olden times? Start a network - make friends with some employees. Do favors. Talk about what their personal problems are, particularly related to the employer. "Feel their pain." Who loves' ya, baby? By a jaded labor lawyer, those same efforts could be seen in "look what we've done for you since the company won't even explain your benefits." "Damn, half the time I'll bet you have to jump through all sorts of hoops just to find out your work schedule. Let us help make your life easier. Besides, you know the benefits people don't care about employees, and a lot of them won't tell you the truth anyway. We've got good information and people looking out for you. Ask us."

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Compared to the bosses, I think the organizers were usually right. When wrong, they usually didn't get far.
O Really wrote:... the group behind the app (OUR Walmart) may not be "currently" trying to organize Wal-Mart, but they support the effort....

Your link is a year old. My link:
... The not-for-profit group split with the union last year....
My point isn't whether it's a good or useful app. My point is that it is understandable why Wal-Mart might try to (probably falsely) trash it,

That goes without saying for most bosses, even removing the "probably falsely".

... Nevertheless, if one did theoretically decide, sometime in the future to "currently" attempt to organize, having a list of a lot of employee email addresses would without doubt be a big tool.

True, but "theoretically" is key. For now, I'm not saying who benefits more, just that one can't claim with certainty that it's OUR Walmart.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:... But the group behind the app (OUR Walmart) may not be "currently" trying to organize Wal-Mart, but they support the effort. (maybe not all that well, according to this account... http://inthesetimes.com/working/entry/1 ... ack-friday ) ...
I don't know what the answer is. Traditional union organizing has failed and we clearly need new strategies and tactics. OUR Walmart sure has raised a stink and did contribute towards winning a national raise, but there may be even better ways.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

I think one of the reasons traditional organizing has failed with Wal-Mart is because of the worker demographics. If you look at the textile/clothing mills, you've got people starting there right after (or sometimes without) HS graduation and expecting to retire there. Prying their loyalty off the employer who was sucking their blood was difficult, but the workers - often whole families - were majorly invested in their work. Look around Wal-Mart - most everybody who isn't in management is not looking for a long-term job, and don't expect to be there forever. Plus, as miserable as Wal-Mart is as a corporate citizen, practically everything about it is better than the textile people had it. Whether it's big-box, groceries, or mall chains, retail is hard to organize. Bottom line, Wal-Mart can play legal footsie over technicalities all they want, but they can't overcome a legitimate certified majority vote. And none of the various union efforts has been able to get that majority support. I'd love to see some Wal-Marts go union, but I don't think it's likely. It doesn't help that the overall percentage of union membership in the public sector is down to something like 10%. Hard to get members without national credibility and stories of your friends and neighbors whose union got them more money, better benefits, or whatever. Now it's more like, "you work for Wal-Mart and you're joining a union, too? Ewwww!"

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Great minds, I was going to say the same thing about Walmart worker demographics and the nature of retail, but I also meant that traditional union organizing has failed in general.
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

O Really wrote:BTW, you know what organizers used to do back in the olden times? Start a network - make friends with some employees.
In the internet era they use sock puppets.

A few years back my wife was working for a large book store with several locations. The kind with it's own restaurant and regular book signing events. One day a letter was sent to all the employees by email, from an anonymous employee who had had enough of (vague concerns). He was going to contact a local union to hear what they had to offer, and would anyone else like to attend.

The letter was sent as a Word attachment. And if you knew to check the document properties, the author and company was the Director of Organizing for the United Food and Commercial Workers, Local 832.

In their defence, they might only be effing dishonest to *potential* members.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

A few Wal-marts here in Canada were unionized in the past.

Not any more though. Employees in the last two voted to decertify.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

Vrede too wrote:
WorkIt
WorkIt is a completely FREE app available for Android users to get advice on workplace rights and policies from a group of trained peer advisors and other workers.
Can't get that from the company policy manual.
There is no company policy "manual"; all info is on the website

WorkIt’s trained advisors are current and former Walmart Associates who are volunteering their time to provide support and advice to other Associates.
The same info can be found on the website or directly from a department, HR, or store manager.

Use WorkIt to:

ASK QUESTIONS: Ask questions either anonymously or as a registered user about workplace policy and your workplace rights and get quick advice from a group of trained advisors.
Free policy interpretation, as I said.
Employees are encouraged to ask questions without fear of retribution; regardless of the nature of their questions or complaints.

GET SUPPORT*: Share and hear from other Associates on their experiences with the same questions and issues.
According to Company Policy, Yes you can; or are SUPPOSED to. No two managers are alike; some can be your best friend while remaining your boss, while some can be complete jerks. These attributes are not limited to Walmart/Sam's.

COMMON QUESTIONS*: View the most common questions that other Associates are asking, from sick time to management, we’ve got advice and recommendations.
Same info available from the website or from the HR manager.

CHAT and GROUP CHAT*: Communicate with other users and share your experiences safely and securely via topic chat or group chat.
According to Company Policy, Yes you can; or are SUPPOSED to. Some store managers encourage group chats and even join in if the employees want them there.

PUSH NOTIFICATIONS*: Get notified when you have answers or when there are updates that may affect you in your workplace.
* for registered users only

Major firing offenses in the Walmart Corporation are as follows: Continual tardiness or unexcused absence (3 strikes), sexual harassment, theft, assault in the workplace, talking union or instigating discontent while "on the clock" or company property.

Your privacy and protection are important to us! We have a terms of service and privacy policy that protects your identity (your personal information is not visible to other users) and your data (we don’t share your information with anyone).
Including union organizers.
An issue you don't have to worry about when accessing company computers. You have a distinct User ID and Password that no one, including management has access to.

WorkIt is free of charge (no fees, membership, or credit card is required).
Why should they charge you for giving them your personal information? :wtf:

Few Walmart workers can afford a labor attorney like you.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

rstrong wrote:"A few Wal-marts here in Canada were unionized in the past.
Not any more though. Employees in the last two voted to decertify."
Walmart has crowed plenty about that in the past; using those cases to discredit unions by pointing out that they are only interested in gaining a portion of the employees pay to be part of a union.

Walmart says "why give your hard-earned pay to someone who didn't work for it?" (or something to that effect) I agree.