The Worker Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
rstrong
Captain

Re: The Worker Thread

Unread post by rstrong »

Mr.B wrote:15$ AN HOUR... ?
That may sound like a lot compared to when you were a teen, but it *still* hasn't kept up with inflation. The costs of thing like rent and education have gone up far more.

American auto workers by comparison are making $46.35 an hour. (That may include benefits, which the McDonalds workers don't get.)

McDonalds jobs used to be for teenagers, living at home. Now its all adults, their primary income.

That's because career jobs are disappearing, replaced by McJobs without benefits. Walmarts paying minimum-wage jobs replaced family owned stores and small chains. Even in what looks like the same companies you knew 30 years ago, many jobs are now outsourced. Same jobs, half the pay, no benefits, no path for advancement.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

rstrong wrote:
Mr.B wrote:15$ AN HOUR... ?
"That may sound like a lot...."
I agree with your comments, and I support the workers demands, but I was referring to the placement of the dollar sign after the figure.
Meme must've been originated by a foreigner. :lol:

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

... and an unpaid taxes nanny, an accusation of spousal abuse, new immigration issues in the stores...yada. I wouldn't give too much credit to the calls and yells if they didn't keep de Vos out, who arguably is no better than Putz. But for whatever reason, it's a win for the good guys, and it would be hard to imagine a substitute being any worse, although he probably won't be much better.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

The DeVos vote was the closest ever. With a GOP POTUS and Congress I'd say that it takes cause, petitions, emails, letters, calls, street protests (there were a lot at Puzder fast food joints) and, not to be discounted, 8 more days of Trump craziness. Take away any of these and some Dems might have waffled and/or the reported 4 or more Repubs might have voted to confirm.

1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Good analysis/commentary here on how he went down.
https://www.theatlantic.com/business/ar ... picks=true

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Don’t blame robots for joblessness and wage stagnation
Too little worker power is

... We need to give the robot scare a rest. Robots are not leading to mass joblessness and are not the cause of wage stagnation or growing wage inequality. Recently, the New York Times referred to the robot scare as a “distraction from real problems and real solutions.” Instead, we should focus on policy choices that lead to things that truly threaten workers and their families like eroding labor standards, declining unionization, elevated unemployment, unbalanced globalization, and declining top tax rates.
1312. ETTD.

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Boatrocker »

Vrede too wrote:
Don’t blame robots for joblessness and wage stagnation
Too little worker power is

... We need to give the robot scare a rest. Robots are not leading to mass joblessness and are not the cause of wage stagnation or growing wage inequality. Recently, the New York Times referred to the robot scare as a “distraction from real problems and real solutions.” Instead, we should focus on policy choices that lead to things that truly threaten workers and their families like eroding labor standards, declining unionization, elevated unemployment, unbalanced globalization, and declining top tax rates.
But Robot Fear makes for better soundbites, tweets and bumper stickers- all the places wingnuts get their "information."
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

CBC: 'As well or better than humans': Automation set for big promotions in white-collar job market
Over the next seven years, she says she had a front-row seat to watch automation — most often intelligent software — take over nearly every aspect of mortgage processing. "I witnessed about 40 per cent of my department get laid off and the reason they were given was automation," the 32-year-old told CBC News. "And these are people who had spent years getting trained to be experts in this field. A lot of it was pretty shocking to all of us."
[...]
"We are starting to see in fields like medicine, law, investment banking, dramatic increases in the ability of computers to think as well or better than humans.
[...]
Consider what's already happened at Goldman Sachs. In 2000, the investment bank had 600 cash equities traders — highly-skilled, high-income workers — on its floor. Today, it has two — backed by 200 software engineers.
Most of those software engineers will be temporary, used only to get the system up and running. A far smaller number will be kept to update it.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

TechRepublic: Robots in warehouses to jump 15X over next 4 years
Recent advances in robotics and demand to fill warehouse jobs have led to a "tipping point" in the number of robots used to automate supply chain operations, according to a new report from Tractica, a market intelligence firm that focuses on human interaction with technology. According to the report, titled "Warehousing and Logistics Robots," there were an estimated 40,000 robotic units shipped worldwide in 2016—but by 2021, there will be 620,000.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Big blow to Republicans and Scott Walker: 'Right to Work' ruled unconstitutional

When Scott Walker came into office, he claimed that he had no interest in trying to get “Right to Work” laws passed. Unfortunately for the people of Wisconsin, Scott Walker is a liar and a terrible person. In fact, he and his fellow Republican legislators introduced an ALEC inspired written bill making Wisconsin a Right to Work state. Since the bill was signed into law, Wisconsin’s workforce has diminished by at least 10,000. Wisconsin is hemorrhaging jobs because Right to Work laws don’t have anything to do with generating living wage jobs, or much in the way of real work, at all. Three unions filed lawsuits against the bill, arguing that the law posed an unconstitutional seizure of union property, and on Friday they received some good news:

Dane County Circuit Judge William Foust agreed. He said the law amounts to the government taking union funds without compensation since under the law they must represent people who don't pay dues. That presents an existential threat to unions, Foust wrote.

"While (union) losses today could be characterized by some as minor, they are not isolated and the impact of (the law) over time is threatening to the unions' very economic viability," he wrote.

This judgement, calling the law unconstitutional on the grounds that it is an “existential threat,” could have some far-reaching ramifications in the many Republican-backed legislatures that really want to put the screws to the working folk of this country....
1312. ETTD.

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Boatrocker »

Vrede too wrote:
Big blow to Republicans and Scott Walker: 'Right to Work' ruled unconstitutional

When Scott Walker came into office, he claimed that he had no interest in trying to get “Right to Work” laws passed. Unfortunately for the people of Wisconsin, Scott Walker is a liar and a terrible person. In fact, he and his fellow Republican legislators introduced an ALEC inspired written bill making Wisconsin a Right to Work state. Since the bill was signed into law, Wisconsin’s workforce has diminished by at least 10,000. Wisconsin is hemorrhaging jobs because Right to Work laws don’t have anything to do with generating living wage jobs, or much in the way of real work, at all. Three unions filed lawsuits against the bill, arguing that the law posed an unconstitutional seizure of union property, and on Friday they received some good news:

Dane County Circuit Judge William Foust agreed. He said the law amounts to the government taking union funds without compensation since under the law they must represent people who don't pay dues. That presents an existential threat to unions, Foust wrote.

"While (union) losses today could be characterized by some as minor, they are not isolated and the impact of (the law) over time is threatening to the unions' very economic viability," he wrote.

This judgement, calling the law unconstitutional on the grounds that it is an “existential threat,” could have some far-reaching ramifications in the many Republican-backed legislatures that really want to put the screws to the working folk of this country....
Hard to have any sympathy for the folks in Wisconsin- they voted this asshole in and defeated a recall, even as he continues to fuck them over, time and time again.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

House Republicans would let employers demand workers’ genetic test results

A little-noticed bill moving through Congress would allow companies to require employees to undergo genetic testing or risk paying a penalty of thousands of dollars, and would let employers see that genetic and other health information.

Giving employers such power is now prohibited by legislation including the 2008 genetic privacy and nondiscrimination law known as GINA. The new bill gets around that landmark law by stating explicitly that GINA and other protections do not apply when genetic tests are part of a “workplace wellness” program....

“What this bill would do is completely take away the protections of existing laws,” said Jennifer Mathis, director of policy and legal advocacy at the Bazelon Center for Mental Health Law, a civil rights group. In particular, privacy and other protections for genetic and health information in GINA and the 1990 Americans with Disabilities Act “would be pretty much eviscerated,” she said....

Employers got virtually everything they wanted for their workplace wellness programs during the Obama administration. The ACA allowed them to charge employees 50 percent more for health insurance if they declined to participate in the “voluntary” programs, which typically include cholesterol and other screenings; health questionnaires that ask about personal habits including plans to get pregnant; and sometimes weight loss and smoking cessation classes. And in rules that Obama’s Equal Employment Opportunity Commission issued last year, a workplace wellness program counts as “voluntary” even if workers have to pay thousands of dollars more in premiums and deductibles if they don’t participate....

Rigorous studies by researchers not tied to the $8 billion wellness industry have shown that the programs improve employee health little if at all. An industry group recently concluded that they save so little on medical costs that, on average, the programs lose money. But employers continue to embrace them, partly as a way to shift more health care costs to workers, including by penalizing them financially.

... Under the House bill, none of the protections for health and genetic information provided by GINA or the disabilities law would apply to workplace wellness programs. As a result, employers could demand that employers undergo genetic testing and health screenings.

While the information returned to employers would not include workers’ names, it’s not difficult, especially in a small company, to match a genetic profile with the individual.

That “would undermine fundamentally the privacy provisions” of those laws,” said Nancy Cox, president of the American Society of Human Genetics, in a letter to the House Committee on Education and the Workforce the day before it approved the bill. “It would allow employers to ask employees invasive questions about … genetic tests they and their families have undergone” and “to impose stiff financial penalties on employees who choose to keep such information private, thus empowering employers to coerce their employees” into providing their genetic information.

If an employer has a wellness program but does not sponsor health insurance, rather than increasing insurance premiums, the employer could dock the paychecks of workers who don’t participate.

The privacy concerns also arise from how workplace wellness programs work. Employers, especially large ones, generally hire outside companies to run them. These companies are largely unregulated, and they are allowed to see genetic test results with employee names.

They sometimes sell the health information they collect from employees. As a result, employees get unexpected pitches for everything from weight-loss programs to running shoes, thanks to countless strangers poring over their health and genetic information.
Bastards. Found:
At what point do we start grabbing pitchforks and torches?
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

I've been saying this is the next step for years - maybe 15 or so - and I have never been able to get any discussion going on forums or face to face, just dismissed out of hand as no one would ever do that

I do hate it when I'm right about these scum - at what age would be best to kill these less than perfect people?
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:I've been saying this is the next step for years - maybe 15 or so - and I have never been able to get any discussion going on forums or face to face, just dismissed out of hand as no one would ever do that

I do hate it when I'm right about these scum - at what age would be best to kill these less than perfect people?

bill sponsor is trash from NC Virginia Foxx - it was so hard not to call her a whore - okay, I can't help myself - sponsor is evil ignorant political whore Virginia Foxx from NC. I wonder how much she made.
Last edited by billy.pilgrim on Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Maybe you can find some non-sexist epithets? Not that epithets aren't well deserved.
Virginia Foxx

Virginia Ann Foxx (née Palmieri; June 29, 1943) is the U.S. Representative for North Carolina's 5th congressional district, which encompasses much of the northwestern portion of the state and a portion of Winston-Salem. Foxx is a member of the Republican Party and served as Secretary of the House Republican Conference from January 2013 until January 2017. She is the current chair of the House Committee on Education and the Workforce.

In September 2005, Foxx was one of 11 members of Congress to vote against the $51 billion aid package to victims of Hurricane Katrina.

During an interview in 2007, Foxx was quoted as saying: "We have the best economy we have had in 50 years."

Opposition to Matthew Shepard and James Byrd, Jr. Hate Crimes Prevention Act

When commenting on the House version of the reform bill that funds counseling for end-of-life issues, Foxx said, "Republicans have a better solution that won't put the government in charge of people's health care," and "(The plan) is pro-life because it will not put seniors in a position of being put to death by their government." She later said that "we have more to fear from the potential of the Affordable Health Care for America Act passing than we do from any terrorist right now in any country."

In January 2013, Foxx co-sponsored legislation that would stop children born in the United States to illegal parents from gaining citizenship.

Preserving Employee Wellness Programs Act (H.R. 1313; 115th Congress) – Foxx introduced this legislation that among other things, eliminates the genetic privacy protections of the Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act of 2008 (Public Law 110–233) and which allows companies to require employees to undergo genetic testing or risk paying a penalty of thousands of dollars, and would let employers see that genetic and other health information.
billy.pilgrim wrote:... I wonder how much she made.
Rep. Virginia Foxx

Top 5 Industries, 2003 - 2016 (Contributions)

Retired $936,413
Health Professionals $342,755
Education $338,873
Leadership PACs $245,097
Real Estate $235,346
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Of course you are right. I'm just really pissed. This is eugenics palin and simple

Changed, thanks for the push.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Policy Watch: Amid a busy week, Congress and the president find time to roll back protections for working people
Submit a comment to the Department of Labor today to protect the hard-earned retirement savings of current and future retirees.

Last year, President Obama’s labor secretary, Thomas Perez, successfully issued the fiduciary rule to ensure that financial advisers provide advice that is untainted by conflicts of interest. The rule is scheduled to go into effect next month.

Unfortunately, the Trump administration and Republicans in Congress are siding with Wall Street bankers over current and future retirees in an attempt to delay and destroy this rule which protects our retirement from unscrupulous financial advisers.

It’s estimated that current and future retirees lose $17 billion each year thanks to advisers who are not acting in our best interests.
1312. ETTD.