Obama Promise To 'Protect Whistleblowers' Just Disappeared

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
bannination
Captain

Obama Promise To 'Protect Whistleblowers' Just Disappeared

Unread post by bannination »

Obama Promise To 'Protect Whistleblowers' Just Disappeared From Change.gov

Obama:
Often the best source of information about waste, fraud, and abuse in government is an existing government employee committed to public integrity and willing to speak out. Such acts of courage and patriotism, which can sometimes save lives and often save taxpayer dollars, should be encouraged rather than stifled. We need to empower federal employees as watchdogs of wrongdoing and partners in performance. Barack Obama will strengthen whistleblower laws to protect federal workers who expose waste, fraud, and abuse of authority in government. Obama will ensure that federal agencies expedite the process for reviewing whistleblower claims and whistleblowers have full access to courts and due process."
"Yeah.... oops, changed my mind."

I tell you, Obama has been pretty disappointing. That's not to say the Republican candidate wouldn't have been worse, but man, we really don't have much of a choice.

O Really
Admiral

Re: Obama Promise To 'Protect Whistleblowers' Just Disappear

Unread post by O Really »

bannination wrote: I tell you, Obama has been pretty disappointing. That's not to say the Republican candidate wouldn't have been worse, but man, we really don't have much of a choice.
I'd agree with that, although I've gotta consider that no other President in my lifetime has faced the degree of constant and unremitting obstruction that Obama has. But as to the topic, there are a lot of people - a lot - who try to use whistleblower laws to protect them against other issues. Not all disclosures meet the requirements for whistleblower protection. Not all whistles blown disclose actual eveel doing. For example, in the railroad industry, an employee who reports an on-the-job injury can claim "whistleblower" protection for having "reported an unsafe condition" and thus make himself invulnerable to even the mildest criticism from the railroad about his incident, no matter whether he caused the accident or not.

Roland Deschain
Wing commander

Unread post by Roland Deschain »

bannination wrote:Obama Promise To 'Protect Whistleblowers' Just Disappeared From Change.gov

Obama:
Often the best source of information about waste, fraud, and abuse in government is an existing government employee committed to public integrity and willing to speak out. Such acts of courage and patriotism, which can sometimes save lives and often save taxpayer dollars, should be encouraged rather than stifled. We need to empower federal employees as watchdogs of wrongdoing and partners in performance. Barack Obama will strengthen whistleblower laws to protect federal workers who expose waste, fraud, and abuse of authority in government. Obama will ensure that federal agencies expedite the process for reviewing whistleblower claims and whistleblowers have full access to courts and due process."

I tell you, Obama has been pretty disappointing.
LOL.....you made the bed, and took all of us along with you to lay in it. Suck it up buttercup 'cause you idiots got just what you asked for. Getting to be about time for a great big chorus of "WE TOLD YOU SO" :-H

bannination
Captain

Roland Deschain wrote:
bannination wrote:Obama Promise To 'Protect Whistleblowers' Just Disappeared From Change.gov

Obama:

I tell you, Obama has been pretty disappointing.
LOL.....you made the bed, and took all of us along with you to lay in it. Suck it up buttercup 'cause you idiots got just what you asked for. Getting to be about time for a great big chorus of "WE TOLD YOU SO" :-H
Don't be stupid, you wanted us to intentionally vote for crap like this. Obama is the lesser of the evils then, and IMHO still is.

O Really
Admiral

You can only vote (meaningfully) for who's on the ballot. And I'd vote for Obama again, given the choice I had. But I didn't get anything close to "what I asked for." My fault with Obama isn't with his ideas or what he's done. My fault is with what he hasn't done - even considering the constant sabotage.

O Really
Admiral

Good comment on Manning decision, and also regarding Snowden:

The question is not whether people like Snowden and Manning are heroes or criminals. Leakers can be both at the same time. They should expect justice, and they should receive it. What they should not expect is a free pass. Lawbreaking in the pursuit of greater justice is sometimes necessary in a democracy. But as those who committed civil disobedience in pursuit of racial justice and other causes would tell you, it always comes at a price.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

bannination wrote:
Roland Deschain wrote:
bannination wrote: Obama: "Yeah.... oops, changed my mind." I tell you, Obama has been pretty disappointing.
"LOL.....you made the bed, and took all of us along with you to lay in it. Suck it up buttercup 'cause you idiots got just what you asked for. Getting to be about time for a great big chorus of "WE TOLD YOU SO" :-H
"Don't be stupid, you wanted us to intentionally vote for crap like this."
WE wanted YOU to "to intentionally vote for crap like this" ? Are you saying Obama is "crap"? Image
Biblical prophecy.....?? "All we, like sheep, have gone astray......." :shock: :shock:

bannination
Captain

Mr.B wrote:
bannination wrote:
Roland Deschain wrote:
bannination wrote: Obama: "Yeah.... oops, changed my mind." I tell you, Obama has been pretty disappointing.
"LOL.....you made the bed, and took all of us along with you to lay in it. Suck it up buttercup 'cause you idiots got just what you asked for. Getting to be about time for a great big chorus of "WE TOLD YOU SO" :-H
"Don't be stupid, you wanted us to intentionally vote for crap like this."
WE wanted YOU to "to intentionally vote for crap like this" ? Are you saying Obama is "crap"? Image
Biblical prophecy.....?? "All we, like sheep, have gone astray......." :shock: :shock:
Sure when it comes to some decisions he made. A lot of us voted the opposite way in order to prevent some of the abuses that are going on now, only to have them happen anyway. With republicans their position was a given, we were no doubt going to get these results. Obama claimed to be against these things, only to back peddle now.

Of course Republicans blocking any and every type of meaningful legislation in congress certainly doesn't help.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

bannination wrote:"A lot of us voted the opposite way in order to prevent some of the abuses that are going on now, only to have them happen anyway. With republicans their position was a given, we were no doubt going to get these results. Obama claimed to be against these things, only to back peddle now."
Goes to show you can't trust a Democrat no more than you can a Republican....... :lol:

Image Image Image
Great Black Father speak with for-ked tongue!

bannination
Captain

Mr.B wrote:
bannination wrote:"A lot of us voted the opposite way in order to prevent some of the abuses that are going on now, only to have them happen anyway. With republicans their position was a given, we were no doubt going to get these results. Obama claimed to be against these things, only to back peddle now."
Goes to show you can't trust a Democrat no more than you can a Republican....... :lol:

Image Image Image
Great Black Father speak with for-ked tongue!
Yep, politicians. Gotta love em.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

O Really wrote:The question is not whether people like Snowden and Manning are heroes or criminals. Leakers can be both at the same time. They should expect justice, and they should receive it. What they should not expect is a free pass. Lawbreaking in the pursuit of greater justice is sometimes necessary in a democracy. But as those who committed civil disobedience in pursuit of racial justice and other causes would tell you, it always comes at a price.
Another US Army soldier is awaiting sentencing this month: Staff Sgt. Robert Bales, who slipped away from his base in Afghanistan last year in the middle of the night and killed 16 civilians, setting some bodies on fire with a kerosene lantern - and laughed about it. Many of his victims were women and children who were asleep in their villages.

The death penalty is off the table, and apparently now the question is whether Bales will be eligible for parole after 10 years. Of course the only soldier convicted for the My Lai massacre only served three years of his life sentence, and under house arrest.

Place your bets. Will Manning be required to serve MORE time than Staff Sgt. Robert Bales, or LESS?

O Really
Admiral

My bet is, sadly, more.

O Really
Admiral

Manning got 35 years. We'll see what Bales gets, if anybody bothers to publish it.

More...
"The sentence was imposed by Army Col. Denise Lind in a courtroom here. Manning will be eligible for parole and could be out in a little more than a decade.
Lind ordered Manning be given a reduction in rank, and that he forfeit all military pay and benefits.
The judge had already ordered that the three and a half years Manning has spent in custody be applied to his sentence. That credit and good behavior could cut Manning’s prison time dramatically.

O Really
Admiral

I may have lost my bet. It appears the Bales decision will be between life or eligibility for parole after 20. I'd agree with you, Vrede, that the Army made Bales, like they made Rambo, but I'm not so sure about Manning. He seems to have brought along plenty of baggage of his own.

O Really
Admiral

O Really
Admiral

Vrede wrote:
O Really wrote:...I'm not so sure about Manning. He seems to have brought along plenty of baggage of his own.
Agreed, but it seems to have been obvious yet they still gave him the keys to war crimes and more, and enough harassment to give him an excuse to act.
Yeah, I find that troubling. Same with Snowden. It's practically criminal negligence that he had access to what he did. Whatever happened to "need to know" and HIPAA-like physical and technological safeguards. I haven't researched it, but I haven't seen a good explanation yet as to how Snowden got his level of access.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: Obama Promise To 'Protect Whistleblowers' Just Disappeared

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

I'm sure that Obama didn't have anything to do with hiring this guy, but I couldn't find a better thread.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ex-ju ... spartandhp

poor baby got 2.5 years. there is something really wrong with our sentencing guidelines when it comes to rich people and cops.

"Wertkin’s sentencing hearing revealed a more extensive and calculating crime than previously was made public, showing he stole and copied dozens of files — taking some at night from his boss’s desk at main Justice, copying them and returning them re-stapled — and then reached out to targeted companies in four states to try to drum up business for himself.
An attorney for a California company tipped off the FBI in January 2017 to an approach by Wertkin who had offered to sell a sealed federal lawsuit for $310,000 to the Silicon Valley"
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

bannination
Captain

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:45 pm
I'm sure that Obama didn't have anything to do with hiring this guy, but I couldn't find a better thread.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ex-ju ... spartandhp

poor baby got 2.5 years. there is something really wrong with our sentencing guidelines when it comes to rich people and cops.

"Wertkin’s sentencing hearing revealed a more extensive and calculating crime than previously was made public, showing he stole and copied dozens of files — taking some at night from his boss’s desk at main Justice, copying them and returning them re-stapled — and then reached out to targeted companies in four states to try to drum up business for himself.
An attorney for a California company tipped off the FBI in January 2017 to an approach by Wertkin who had offered to sell a sealed federal lawsuit for $310,000 to the Silicon Valley"
That's some James Bond level shit. As long as the crime involves outrageous amounts of money, you'll be fine. Shoplift bubble gum and they'll bury you under the prison.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

bannination wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:53 pm
That's some James Bond level shit. As long as the crime involves outrageous amounts of money, you'll be fine. Shoplift bubble gum and they'll bury you under the prison.
That reminds me of:

Kill one man, and you are a murderer. Kill millions of men, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god.
-- Jean Rostand, Thoughts of a Biologist (1939)
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.