Good news/kindness only (please) thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Mr.B
A bad person.

Re: Good news/kindness only (please) thread

Unread post by Mr.B »

Wneglia wrote:WOW :clap:

I'm overwhelmed. Retirement has a learning curve, and is taking some adjustment, but I am adapting and trying to find new things to do. Have been reading a lot, playing the piano, and may try to learn how to play a Chapman Stick, although my I have minimal experience with guitar, but that may be an advantage since they are so radically different.

Thanks for your kind thought. It made my day.

:mrgreen:
Congratulations my friend!
I didn't know! Welcome to the ranks of the lazy! We've earned it! :shock: :lol:

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

I'm overwhelmed. Retirement has a learning curve, and is taking some adjustment, but I am adapting and trying to find new things to do. Have been reading a lot, playing the piano, and may try to learn how to play a Chapman Stick, although my I have minimal experience with guitar, but that may be an advantage since they are so radically different.

Do it man! I used to play guitar a lot when I was a teenager. The past few months I've picked it up again and play all the time. I'm slowly getting back to where I was as a teen. Playing an instrument is an incredibly meditative hobby. You always feel real at ease once you get in the zone and muscle memory takes over and things just sort of flow automatically. Can not recommend enough.
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Vrede wrote: :shock: Great, now I have an image in my head of Wneglia playing JTA's headbanging thrash metal. :D
Haha ain't nothing wrong with that. But I will say this, when I play the guitar I personally prefer playing slow, strummy acousticy stuff. Some real nerdy shit I still listen to but don't tell anybody (Of the Wand and the Moon, Simple easy stuff that sounds alright. Good for just starting out. Or Agalloch). That's when kind and sensitive JTA comes out trying to impress the ladies with my poor guitar playing skills. The trick is to strum some BS and pretend like you're doing it on purpose, and hope the other person doesn't play guitar. If you hit the right chords it all sounds alright, like you're actually playing something legit, when you're not.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

I've always been a sucker for black women that sing Scandinavian songs; it's so futuristic.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Best wishes, Doc - and enjoy!

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede wrote:Dutch, neither they nor Scandinavians would be happy with you. :P
Opps! My mistake.

Wneglia
Midshipman

Unread post by Wneglia »

Vrede:

Thanks for posting that Eurovision video. I just got a great idea-rather than get the stick, I think I'll get a Keytar, since I already know how to play a piano/organ/keyboard. It has great potential. :thumbup:

:toothy:

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Wneglia wrote:Vrede:

Thanks for posting that Eurovision video. I just got a great idea-rather than get the stick, I think I'll get a Keytar, since I already know how to play a piano/organ/keyboard. It has great potential. :thumbup:

:toothy:
I wish you luck with it. For many years I've wished I could play piano, since you can play virtually any sort of music on one. Unfortunately, I never had lessons or even reliable access. For those reasons, I've had pianist envy all this time. In my defense, though, I never considered the tuba.

Wneglia
Midshipman

Unread post by Wneglia »

Neoplacebo wrote

I wish you luck with it. For many years I've wished I could play piano, since you can play virtually any sort of music on one. Unfortunately, I never had lessons or even reliable access. For those reasons, I've had pianist envy all this time. In my defense, though, I never considered the tuba.
I played the Sousaphone (like a tuba), baritone, and bass trombone in high school. Wish they had those fiberglass Sousa's way back then. Image

Would have been a lot lighter to carry around.

Wneglia
Midshipman

Unread post by Wneglia »

Vrede wrote:Alert: Shooting at school of public health at USC (Columbia)

I do not approve of this retirement activity, Wneglia. Go with the Keytar. ;)
I live about a mile from where this took place. Glad I wasn't driving in the area today. Heard several streets near the State House/School of public health were blocked off for hours.

Ordered a factory refurbished Roland AX Synth Keytar from Amazon which should arrive a few days before my birthday. Happy Birthday to me! :clap:

bannination
Captain

Unread post by bannination »

Wneglia wrote:

I live about a mile from where this took place. Glad I wasn't driving in the area today. Heard several streets near the State House/School of public health were blocked off for hours.

Ordered a factory refurbished Roland AX Synth Keytar from Amazon which should arrive a few days before my birthday. Happy Birthday to me! :clap:

Speaking of things we order for ourselves, check out my latest purchase:

So much awesomeness in one shirt. I don't know if I'm cool enough to wear it, but I'm gonna try.

My next one will probably be one of these:

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

bannination wrote:
Wneglia wrote:

Speaking of things we order for ourselves, check out my latest purchase:

So much awesomeness in one shirt. I don't know if I'm cool enough to wear it, but I'm gonna try.

My next one will probably be one of these:

That's the best t shirt I've ever seen. This one is a close second: Image

Wneglia
Midshipman

Unread post by Wneglia »

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

Vrede wrote: "You need the other 6 deadly sins to have a full set, though the Clinton one would cover pride and lust, and that dinosaur riding the dinosaur is a good representation of wrath and greed. Just envy and gluttony to go."
Ha Ha!.... :lol: ...good one!

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

Vrede wrote:
When A Middle School Cheerleader With Down Syndrome Was Bullied, The Basketball Team Stepped Up To Defend Her

...That support has carried over to this year’s eighth-grade squad, who has made Desiree a fixture of the team’s rituals. The starting five players give her fist-bumps and high-fives as they’re announced before games. The school’s gymnasium was renamed “D’s House” as a nod to Desiree....
I don't know about y'all but my middle school in a very liberal area would never have made her a cheerleader and few students would have stepped up to defend her. We are evolving.

Aside: I have friends that adopted 2 unrelated Down Syndrome boys 30 some years ago. They are now about 50 and 35, and still living at home. I've done some crazy stuff in my life but the heroism of that is beyond me.
:thumbup: :clap: :thumbup: :clap: :thumbup: :clap: :thumbup: :clap: :thumbup: :clap: :thumbup: :clap: :thumbup: :clap: :thumbup:

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Boatrocker »

Vrede wrote: . . We are evolving.

Aside: I have friends that adopted 2 unrelated Down Syndrome boys 30 some years ago. They are now about 50 and 35, and still living at home. I've done some crazy stuff in my life but the heroism of that is beyond me.
Balls, is what that is. And the sort of Christian love that Christians are seldom caught practicing.
Bravo Zulu.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Boatrocker »

Of course. The fundicongelicals have no exclusive rights to good works, nor can it be shown that atheists or the irreligious display less John 3:16-ism than the Sunday morning hypocrits.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Keytars were invented specifically for Venn diagrams.