Good news/kindness only (please) thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
O Really
Admiral

Re: Good news/kindness only (please) thread

Unread post by O Really »

Bears' Revenge is always good news...
https://www.sfgate.com/nation/article/B ... 272979.php

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:50 pm
Bears' Revenge is always good news...
https://www.sfgate.com/nation/article/B ... 272979.php
... The hunters are soldiers with the 4th Brigade Combat Team (Airborne), 25th Infantry Division, at Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson in Anchorage.
I wonder if any GI has been struck and injured by both a Taliban and a rock that was kicked loose as the Taliban he shot rolled down the slope.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Unread post by Leo Lyons »

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:32 pm
I wonder if any GI has been struck and injured by both a Taliban and a rock that was kicked loose as the Taliban he shot rolled down the slope.
Probably not, but I bet the Taliban felt like sh*t.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

California man who shot himself shares pictures of face transplant recovery

Wow. :clap:

Saw a face like that once, self-inflicted shotgun. Some agonal breathing for the medics so they transported, none for us, the medics were not able to get an airway, neither were we, done.
1312. ETTD.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:55 am

Saw a face like that once, self-inflicted shotgun. Some agonal breathing for the medics so they transported, none for us, the medics were not able to get an airway, neither were we, done.
I'm not certain I'm understanding what you wrote; and than the patient died.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Leo Lyons wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:58 am
Vrede too wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:55 am

I'm not certain I'm understanding what you wrote; and than the patient died.
I understand that the face blast was a self inflicted shotgun deal (no gauge or number of barrels specified) and that the initial responders confronted a mess, could not establish an airway (perhaps the throat was also a mess) and that the suicide was an apparent success. I wonder what Trump would have said about it? Or Mitch McConnell? Hell, he LOOKS like he's staring at the bad end of a sawed off shotgun. :shock:

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Yep, the MDs couldn't find the throat to insert an airway. They didn't try very long, it had been many minutes since he drew an effective breath - certain brain damage on top of whatever brain damage the shotgun caused.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Well, shit, since this is the good news only (please) thread, I will offer this; I was at the local Wal Mart food store a few days ago doing my normal shopping gog (I;m on that beer and cigarettes diet) and it was windy and cold as hell and I just could't wait to get back to my warm place and commence dieting when out of the blue this old guy (he said he was in his 80's) accosted me as I was about to drive away with my diet. I saw him coming and immediately thought "fuck this shit" but I opened the door and said "howdy" and proceeded to tell him that at first I thought you were an old woman and I was about to run. Anyway, he said he'd walked down to the store and didn't think he could make it back in all this wind and cold and shit and wanted me give him a ride. So I did; it was over half a mile on a two lane road with no sidewalk....so we get there to his place and he wants to pay me for giving im a ride. I just told him no thanks and wondered as I drove away if I would ever be that guy.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:59 pm
Well, shit, since this is the good news only (please) thread, I will offer this; I was at the local Wal Mart food store a few days ago doing my normal shopping gog (I;m on that beer and cigarettes diet) and it was windy and cold as hell and I just could't wait to get back to my warm place and commence dieting when out of the blue this old guy (he said he was in his 80's) accosted me as I was about to drive away with my diet. I saw him coming and immediately thought "fuck this shit" but I opened the door and said "howdy" and proceeded to tell him that at first I thought you were an old woman and I was about to run. Anyway, he said he'd walked down to the store and didn't think he could make it back in all this wind and cold and shit and wanted me give him a ride. So I did; it was over half a mile on a two lane road with no sidewalk....so we get there to his place and he wants to pay me for giving im a ride. I just told him no thanks and wondered as I drove away if I would ever be that guy.
I see you more as the cig dangling from the lip, beer in one hand, gun in the other, carjacking type.
1312. ETTD.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:09 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Many times as a teen, I stuck out my thumb and hitch-hiked a ride, thinking nothing of getting in a stranger's car. I've been accosted by a couple of homosexuals, had to prove once at knife-point that I had no money in my pockets, had one <ahem> encounter with an older woman; but overall, my ride-bumming was pretty uneventful. I would have to be desperate to get in a stranger's car today, or allow one to ride in my car.

Like you though, I have given thought to one day having to bum a ride with a stranger.
I see you more as the cig dangling from the lip, beer in one hand, gun in the other, carjacking type.
Hmm...an idea there. If it comes down to having to bum a ride, be sure you carry a beer in your pocket.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:09 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Yeah, I do try to adhere to the diet but generally keep my gun "in quiet seclusion" like Bowie talks about. As an interesting sideline, there's a Super 8 motel about a quarter mile from the Wal Mart food store, and about two weeks ago a guy was shot twice at the Super 8 while trying to intervene in a domestic assault gig.....he ended up ok but the shooter was on the loose for almost a month before they caught him in Virginia riding around at 320 something in the morning with a driver that has no license.....fucking genius.....I can't believe they caught him. I guess the moral of the story is you either give an old fucker a ride home in the wind and cold or get shot interfering in other folks drama.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:32 pm
Yeah, I do try to adhere to the diet but generally keep my gun "in quiet seclusion" like Bowie talks about. As an interesting sideline, there's a Super 8 motel about a quarter mile from the Wal Mart food store, and about two weeks ago a guy was shot twice at the Super 8 while trying to intervene in a domestic assault gig.....he ended up ok but the shooter was on the loose for almost a month before they caught him in Virginia riding around at 320 something in the morning with a driver that has no license.....fucking genius.....I can't believe they caught him. I guess the moral of the story is you either give an old fucker a ride home in the wind and cold or get shot interfering in other folks drama.
I've intervened in domestic assault a few times. Never got shot, but I did get punched once on SF's Haight Street . . . by the woman. Turns out the guy was cool, SHE was out of control and he was just trying to keep her from hurting herself or others. :oops:

Another time at a wedding I caught and saved one drunk guest that had been pushed down a set of stone steps by another guest . . . a slightly-drunk woman.

The lesson I've learned - defend the women, but watch your back. Some of them are pure evil.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:25 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:32 pm
I've intervened in domestic assault a few times. Never got shot, but I did get punched once on SF's Haight Street . . . by the woman. Turns out the guy was cool, SHE was out of control and he was just trying to keep her from hurting herself or others. :oops:

Another time at a wedding I caught and saved one drunk guest that had been pushed down a set of stone steps by another guest . . . a slightly-drunk woman.

The lesson I've learned - defend the women, but watch your back. Some of them are pure evil.
I've never intervened in, or actually ever witnessed, any type of behavior like that. As you say, you misinterpreted the situation and the bitch slugged you for your trouble. If I were to intervene in such a case, I think I'd just walk real fast toward them and start screaming and generally acting berserk so that they themselves would be confused and probably then both of them would team up and kick the shit out of me. But I'm not really into that sort of sacrifice, especially for strangers.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Rescued 3-year-old endured heavy rain, freezing temperatures alone in the woods: 'He's a survivor'

A 3-year-old boy found alive two days he went missing was "meant to survive" as he endured heavy rains and cold temperatures by himself in the woods, the local sheriff said.

"What he survived out there -- temperatures in the 20s, low 20s, the rain, the downpour that almost put our search on a standstill," Craven County Sheriff Chip Hughes told ABC New Bern affiliate WCTI Friday morning. "This kid, he’s strong. He was meant to survive. He’s a survivor.”

Casey Hathaway was found Thursday night after he went missing Tuesday in wooded Craven County, North Carolina.

Casey is in good condition and resting, Dr. Nicole Check of the CarolinaEast Medical Center said Friday morning.
That's amazing. Adults might not have survived it. Inuit adage: "You get wet, you die."
... Linda Fraker, who happened to be walking her dogs in the area where Casey would eventually be found, said she thought she heard crying and flagged down a deputy involved in the search.

"I just heard a small cry," Fraker told New Bern ABC affiliate WCTI. "It was really faint. I wasn't sure if it was a cry because they were searching for him and calling his name."
How fortuitous, otherwise . . .
... "He did say that he had a friend in the woods that was a bear," the sheriff added....
It's as good an explanation as any.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Homeless 8-year-old refugee wins New York State chess championship, inspiring viral fundraiser

Tanitoluwa Adewumi just said checkmate.

Despite learning the game a little over a year ago, the 8-year-old boy — homeless refugee from Nigeria — was crowned the New York State Primary Chess Champion in the kindergarten-to-third-grade bracket of the 52nd New York State Scholastic Championships. The elementary school student, better known as “Tani,” went undefeated at the championships, where he outsmarted opponents from top private schools with pricey chess tutors.

“I want to be the youngest grandmaster,” Tani told the New York Times....

“He is so driven,” his school chess teacher, Shawn Martinez told the New York Times. “He does 10 times more chess puzzles than the average kid. He just wants to be better.” Martinez estimates that the youngster could achieve the chess master title in one to two years. The youngest chess grandmaster to-date earned the prestigious title at the age of 12....

Tani and his family fled from their home country of Nigeria in 2017, fearing the persecution of Christians by Boko Haram terrorists, reported theNew York Times. After arriving in New York City to seek asylum in the U.S., with his parents and older brother, the family soon moved into a homeless shelter. Tani began attending local New York elementary school P.S. 116, where he discovered his passion for the strategic board game....

Shortly after Tani won the New York State Primary Chess tournament this month, Makofsky (the man who oversees the P.S. 116 chess club) started a GoFundMe campaign to help support Tani and his family as he prepares for the elementary national championship in May....

Since starting the GoFundMe page on March 15, the campaign has exceeded its goal of $50,000, raising over $103,400 (and counting). Makofsky has received countless notes offering the Nigerian refugee family jobs, legal services, places to stay — and even a car for Tani’s father, who works as an Uber driver.

Although the Adewumi family continues to live in a homeless shelter, Makofsky tells the New York Times, “‘Tani is rich beyond measure,’ in the strength, love and support of his family.”

He adds, “One year to get to this level, to climb a mountain and be the best of the best, without family resources. I’ve never seen it.”
:-||
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Do you wonder if trump sees stuff like this? I saw a story earlier today about this kid. I figure he'll go far. :thumbup:

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:34 pm
Do you wonder if trump sees stuff like this? I saw a story earlier today about this kid. I figure he'll go far. :thumbup:
Christian refugees are the "good" kind.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:15 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:34 pm
Christian refugees are the "good" kind.
I understand that part; the fact remains the family was from a shithole country....no trump tower

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Rhino poacher gets killed by an elephant and eaten by lions. :clap:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/su ... &ocid=iehp