Supreme Court Decisions

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
O Really
Admiral

Supreme Court Decisions

Unread post by O Really »

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/arc ... picks=true

If You Thought Citizens United Was Bad, Wait for This Supreme Court Case
A Supreme Court ruling in favor of Shaun McCutcheon would set the stage for totally eliminating remaining campaign-finance laws.

That's totally scary. :evil:

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Supreme Court Decisions

Unread post by Boatrocker »

A local libertarian lawyer and whackjob- Laird Minor- who has run unsuccessfully for state office, once made a startling claim on the now-defunct Greenville forum, The Common Voice. He declared that money was, or should be, the ONLY form of speech protected by the 1st Amendment. The ONLY one. He offered this nugget of wingnut wisdom in all seriousness, claiming, as does this McCutcheon douche, that ANY limitation on campaign spending, fund-raising or contributions was unconstitutional. I thought it was the most dangerous thing I had heard in a long time.
Thing is, the majority on SCoTUS is firmly on wingnut ground.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

mike
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread post by mike »

When I was in Colorado, there was a small river nearby (I biked along it a number of times), coming from the mountains, called the Oligarchy River (true story).
It appears, now, that river will flow throughout the U.S. if the SC gives this a pass. :(

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Oligarchy Greenway, Longmont CO.??
The Oligarchy Greenway is developed along part of the Oligarchy Ditch which runs through Longmont from McIntosh Lake (at the western end) to Union Reservoir (at the eastern end). The Oligarchy Ditch takes its name from the way most ditch companies were structured; "Oligarchy" means "government by the few." It is one of the earliest ditches built for Longmont's farmers and is considered an historic site. To date, the greenway exists from McIntosh Lake (at Airport Road in the Shores neighborhood) to Garden Acres Park, and again from Mountain View Avenue (just west of Lashley Street) to Third Avenue (near Pace Street). Features found along this trail system include McIntosh Lake District Park, Boulder County Lohr Agricultural Heritage Center (off Highway 66), Flanders Park, Dawson Park, Garden Acres Park, Clark Centennial Park and Rothrock Dell Park.

mike
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread post by mike »

The pic I took of the Harvest Moon setting over the Rockies was taken over McIntosh Lake ...

The Oligarchy flowed off the right - not in the pic -, from the West.

Indeed, Vrede, I was unsure as to the origin of the name of the river (or ditch) but I thought it fit well into this topic.
The first time I heard the name of the "river," I did a serious double take ... I mean "Seriously, they call it that!?"

Thanks, O Really! :D

BTW, this is my log of one of the times I biked around the lake (4 laps):

I built up courage as I went and got faster ... one has to be careful not to hurt one's self without having health insurance lest I'd be left at the feet of a Prairie Dog Village to take care of me ...

(McIntosh Lake in the background, looking to the South-East from the North-West of the lake - better known as a reservior)

mike
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread post by mike »

Vrede, interestingly enough, there was a short-lived warning to all residents around Lake McIntosh (where I was staying) that they would be evacuated as the Oligarchy was about to spill its banks and couldn't be controlled.
Shortly afterward, the Oligarchy log-jam was cleared and the threat was gone (another true story) ... I hope I can, eventually, say the same about the SCOTUS ...

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Shortly after the election it was discovered that Karl Rove's Crossroads GPS was illegal, having never filed the legally required charitable organization registration with the Commonwealth of Virginia, where it established its official address.

Which would mean that his wealthy donors wouldn't get their tax write-offs.

In December the Virginia’s Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services sent a letter to Crossroads GPS warning them of their legal obligation.

Does anyone know whatever happened with this?

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

And soon to be SC decisions

Okay, so he lied under oath - that has been standard procedure during trump confirmations - nothing new there.

But the mighty dems kept in asking questions and getting bs and sometimes lies. Especially when it came to pardons and the president's power to commit crimes and obstruct the law, the questions flew, not so much the answers.

Or did he?

Hugh Hewitt said that he did answer but no one noticed it and followed up. Could be the same reason I have seen between 10 and 20 million ads telling me to call my senator and tell him that he better confirm brett and zero ads against him. Hugh said that a republican senator asked young brett which was his bff federalist paper.

Brett gushingly proclaimed #69, you know, it's the one that says the president can do anything and the only remedy is impeachment.

No indictments, no subpoenas, unlimited pardons.

Brett loves a king. Could be why he was nominated after trump said that he would only nominate from the list of names - that did not include brett.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Unread post by Leo Lyons »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:33 am
And soon to be SC decisions
Okay, so he lied under oath - that has been standard procedure during trump confirmations - nothing new there.
But the mighty dems kept in asking questions and getting bs and sometimes lies. Especially when it came to pardons and the president's power to commit crimes and obstruct the law, the questions flew, not so much the answers. Or did he?
Hugh Hewitt said that he did answer but no one noticed it and followed up. Could be the same reason I have seen between 10 and 20 million ads telling me to call my senator and tell him that he better confirm brett and zero ads against him. Hugh said that a republican senator asked young brett which was his bff federalist paper.
Brett gushingly proclaimed #69, you know, it's the one that says the president can do anything and the only remedy is impeachment.
No indictments, no subpoenas, unlimited pardons.
Brett loves a king. Could be why he was nominated after trump said that he would only nominate from the list of names - that did not include brett.
Bless his heart. Showing us his political persona. He fits right in with ALL the Washington crowd.