Aint ya'll proud?????

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Aint ya'll proud?????

Unread post by Boatrocker »

I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Boatrocker »

Vrede wrote:Messages link NJ governor's aide to lane closures

Retaliation affecting millions of commutes by Dems, Independents, the apolitical and Republicans because the mayor did not endorse Chris Christie. :roll: :oII
And RWNJs babble on about Chicago . . . .
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Yeah, ain't ya'll proud? ABC reported tonight that Fallujah Iraq is overrun with as many as two thousand local and imported radical Islamists. The US military is shipping in tons of ordnance, missiles, etc in what seems to be a rather desperate endeavor. Keep in mind that none of this would be happening if it weren't for good old GW and his neo cronies. I bet the Saudis and Jordanians are especially thankful. What a waste.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Find any situation in history where a group of long-time warring factions, equivalent to Sunni/Shiite, Kurds, Croats, Chechens, yada, has been resolved by any "democratic" means. While you're thinking about it, consider that when groups have irrational, uncontrollable hate for another group, the only thing that has ever made them behave has been a strong dictatorial regime. Saddam Hussein could not be considered a nice guy by any definition, but consider what would be necessary to keep the lid on in the Iraqi environment now.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

O Really wrote:Find any situation in history where a group of long-time warring factions, equivalent to Sunni/Shiite, Kurds, Croats, Chechens, yada, has been resolved by any "democratic" means. While you're thinking about it, consider that when groups have irrational, uncontrollable hate for another group, the only thing that has ever made them behave has been a strong dictatorial regime. Saddam Hussein could not be considered a nice guy by any definition, but consider what would be necessary to keep the lid on in the Iraqi environment now.
I figure it will take about twelve Saddams and 24 ruthless sons to even begin to fix this.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Vrede wrote:
O Really wrote:Find any situation in history where a group of long-time warring factions, equivalent to Sunni/Shiite, Kurds, Croats, Chechens, yada, has been resolved by any "democratic" means...
USSR, South Africa, Jim Crow, gay rights. Not that you don't have a point but there are exceptions.
None of those have the history of "warring factions" that my examples do. And the former USSR is still having problems with the Chechens, and I wouldn't want to be the one that argued that Jim Crow and gay rights have actually been resolved, although fortunately progress is being mad - maybe more in gay rights than in Jim Crow.

Bungalow Bill
Ensign

Unread post by Bungalow Bill »

The funny thing about Springsteen and Christie is that Christie is a Springsteen
fanatic, who has been to dozens and dozens of Springsteen concerts. But Bruce
has always kept him at arms' length and has very little to do with CC, probably
because of Christie's politics. Christie wants to be the next Big Man, but, much
to his disappointment, that ain't going to happen. It's all rather bizarre. Of course
the Fort Lee thing isn't going to help at all. :(

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

http://www.blueridgedebate.com/viewtopi ... nry#p28854
O Really wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:58 pm
Only one question for anyone complaining about the shutdown - who did you vote for? If it's a Republican, you got what you voted for. Missed the Honor Air flight? Who did you vote for? Republicans stay home. Rutherford County kids miss a trip to Gettysburg or DC? Who did you (or your parents) vote for? If it's McHenry, tough, stay home. Can't go to the Smokies or drive the Parkway? If you voted for Meadows, stay home and shut up.
O Really wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:06 am
I think Meadows and McHenry are gerrymandered in with regard to losing to a Dem. But I would think Meadows would be at risk from a Republican who wouldn't have shut down a significant part of the WNC economy in leaf-peeping season. Even if the seat stayed Republican, it would be an improvement not to have a teabagging fool.
Thought these might interest you:

McHenry hears harsh criticism at Buncombe town hall meeting

I don't really know, but it sounds like he's an asshole doing his best to disguise what an asshole he is.

Letter: Two reasons to unseat Rep. Patrick McHenry

Letter: David Wilson Brown is a true progressive

Looks like RCP doesn't consider his NC10 seat to be in play at all. Same with Meadows (R) in my NC11.
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epoll ... e_map.html
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.