The car thread ...

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: The car thread ...

Unread post by Vrede too »

Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

SNL paraphrased: Cars were allowed to drive themselves several years before Saudi women could.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

I've never seen a bridge do this:

Bus Ignores Weight Limit on Bridge
1312. ETTD.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Unread post by Leo Lyons »

That's been on YouTube since 2012 (date stamp) I saw it when it first was published. I guess you were too busy surfing the petitions, huh?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Found:
30% of traffic fatalities involve alcohol. That means 70% do not. It's safer to drink and drive.
:D
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

The most gripping article/video where nothing happens you'll see all week:

Team black car or silver car? Drivers dueling for nearly 2 hours over prime Los Angeles parking spot goes viral
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:17 am
The most gripping article/video where nothing happens you'll see all week:

Team black car or silver car? Drivers dueling for nearly 2 hours over prime Los Angeles parking spot goes viral

https://youtu.be/4RMQEBWo1aQ
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Uber and Lyft don't own their cars. The "contractor" drivers do. And while they do have some vehicle standards, https://www.ridesharingdriver.com/uber- ... -your-car/
I don't think there's any chance they're going to require all drivers to buy an electric car within the next ten years.

1 CAT FAN
Ensign

Unread post by 1 CAT FAN »

Why is America Obsessed With the 1969 Camaro?
      While the 1969 Camaro isn’t mechanically much different from the 1967 and 1968 editions, new sheetmetal left the car looking more voluptuous and aggressive. It was, and to many remains, the best looking Camaro ever. That’s why both the 2010 fifth-generation—and the new sixth-gen—Camaros have been explicitly styled to resemble it.

The sheer number of different ’69 Camaro variations is staggering. The Z/28, built to dominate SCCA road racing was back in ’69 and still powered by the nervy, 290-horsepower DZ302 5.0-liter V-8. It took the Trans Am manufacturer’s championship for the second straight year. To go drag racing, Chevrolet sold ZL-1 models powered by an incredible, all-aluminum 427-ci (7-liter) big-block V-8, ludicrously underrated at 430 hp. Meanwhile, in Pennsylvania, dealer Don Yenko ordered 201 Camaros powered by iron-block 427s to create his own Yenko Super Cars. There were RS and SS versions, and examples that combined the two. If you loved convertibles, there was an Indy 500 pace car replica Camaros with orange stripes, orange houndstooth upholstery and the totally radical “Cowl Induction” hood, otherwise offered only on the Z/28. For restoration freaks, there are a lot of different ’69 Camaros to keep the anal-retentive brain cells occupied.

But leaving the ’69 Camaro in pristine, factory-sealed condition is boring. Those with a supercharged engine bursting through the hood are as purely American as any Ferrari is Italian, or Porsche is German. Jacked up on a set of crapped-out leaf springs by a demented gas station jockey, or refined into a world-beating supercar by a legendary builder like GM engineer Mark Stielow, the mechanically simple ’69 Camaro remains great looking and relatively reliable. Given the ease with which its mechanical bits can be mutated, the sheer production and its resilient beauty, it’s no wonder the ’69 Camaro has been the car this generation has loved. But no generation lasts. Today ’69 Camaros have become stupidly valuable as their numbers have dwindled, and the Hot Wheels age cohort has hit its peak earning years. Youngsters living on a budget need not apply. But, like the generations who loved the ’32 Ford and ’55-’57 Chevy before it, those of us who loved this Camaro are aging beyond it.

In 20 years, we’re not going to have to the energy to sustain its massive popularity. The ’69 Camaro isn’t going away, but the kids born in the eighties, nineties and beyond won’t have the same balls-out passion for it either. I don’t know what’s next, but there’s always a next.
        Right now, however, 50 years after it first appeared. The ’69 Camaro is the most loved car in America.
          http://www.thedrive.com/muscle-cars/101 ... 969-camaro

O Really
            Admiral

Spokane is apparently a total hotbed of custom, antique and hotrod cars. Every year there's a huge national car show...
            https://www.good-guys.com/gnwn-2019

But even more impressive is the number of cool cars just running around town. Saw a guy the other day dropping his kid off at school in a car that looked a lot like this one:

neoplacebo
            Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

I have a 99 Z28 Camaro that I've had for about twelve years. I get compliments on it on a regular basis. It will go like hell, has the LS1 engine, six speed, t top. I've driven it at speeds well over 100mph on interstate highways and it seemed to have plenty more to go. It is hard to get in and out of though but fun to drive. I have considered getting rid of it to get a Buick since I'm now an old man but I keep putting it off. The Buick I like best is the Roadblaster, and the station wagon version is my pick.https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/v ... tion=click

found this; it's the new version but you get the idea.
            Last edited by neoplacebo on Fri May 17, 2019 10:22 pm, edited 5 times in total.

1 CAT FAN
            Ensign

1969 Chevy Camaro RS Z28: One of the All Time Greats. When the 1969 Chevrolet Camaro RS Z28 first hit the scene, it was immediately touted as one of the hottest muscle cars on the market. The seductive coupe quickly became a popular choice among American drivers.
                For the drivers who wanted to be noticed, very few vehicles attracted more attention than the Camaro RS Z28. Not only did the RS package include a dazzling pair of hideaway headlights, but it also featured a special grille. Chevrolet offered an aggressive cowl-induction hood as an option. Because of the hood’s ability to draw in cool air, it was more than just an appearance upgrade.
                    In contrast to some of the other classic muscle cars, the 1969 Camaro RS Z28 appealed to a wide variety of different drivers. From hardcore racing fans to school teachers, it seemed as if everyone became infatuated with this gorgeous muscle car. Teenagers yearned for the chance to finally get behind the wheel. Upgrades such as the chambered exhaust system made it even harder to resist. As you can see, the 1969 Camaro RS Z28 had a major impact on the muscle car era.
                        http://www.texascorvette.net/1969-Chevr ... as/6285883

1 CAT FAN
                        Ensign

The most-popular enthusiast Camaro was again the Super Sport, which added about $300 to a coupe or convertible and included a 300-bhp 350-cid V-8, stiff suspension, and F70x14 tires. Power front disc brakes were now part of the package, as were the nonfunctional hood ports previously exclusive to SS 396s. An extra $79 landed the new cowl-induction hood with its functional rear-facing inlet. The hidden-headlamp Rally Sport option cost $132. The interior was updated, too, and a new $95 gauge pack put a round tach in the instrument pod and auxiliary dials on the center console.

1 CAT FAN
                              Ensign

Chevrolet’s Central Office Production Order (COPO) system was designed for fleet sales; it was intended to spec out heavy-duty suspensions for cop cars and stain-proof interiors for taxicabs. But enterprising dealers with the right connections, such as Yenko Chevrolet in Pennsylvania, figured out that Camaros could be ordered this way, too. And given the right order codes, the dealer could spec out a fire-breathing monster of a Camaro that Chevy didn’t really want you to own.

The production order 9561 specified a 427 big-block V-8 rated at 425 hp—just like a Vette. But the even rarer COPO 9560 called for an all-aluminum ZL-1 427 V-8. Though this engine was rated with just 5 more hp, it was widely known that this race-spec engine delivered more like 550 hp. Only 69 ZL-1 Camaros were built, and these cars command prices in the $400,000 range at an auction

Little-Known Fact: The aluminum ZL-1 427 V-8 in the 9560 COPO Camaro is essentially a race engine. Chevy originally developed this 427 motor for the Chaparral racing team to use in the Can Am series. There are no external emblems on a ZL-1 Camaro that let you know what’s under the hood—only plain-vanilla Camaro badges.
                                  The Incredible Hulk of Muscle Cars. Don’t make it Angry!
                                    http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/g7 ... scle-cars/

O Really
                                    Admiral

So I don't know what your deal with the Camaros is, but here's a fun story for you. One of my frat brothers was Bill Estes, whose dad, Pete Estes, was President of Chevrolet at the time. Bill drove a non-assuming looking Pontiac Tempest, left over from when Pete was President of Pontiac. But it was no ordinary Tempest. Under the family-sedan skin was the heart of GTO. Anyway, Pete was the one who presided over the development of the Camaro, and the one who named it. Here's Bill's version of how it was named, as described in an article written upon Pete's death.

“I came for dinner one night, and it was just my mother and [me]. My brothers had gone away to school, and my dad pulled this piece of paper out of his pocket and said, ‘We’ve got to name this new little car that’s coming out,’” Bill said. “He had three names listed on this piece of paper, and he showed it to my mother and [me]. My mother liked the name Camaro that was listed and asked my dad what it meant. He replied that it meant a warm, friendly friend, and she said, ‘That’s it. That’s a perfect name.’ Months went by before we realized that the car had actually come out and was called the Camaro, so that’s how it started.

Vrede too
                                    Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
                                    Sat May 18, 2019 9:26 pm
                                    ... He replied that it meant a warm, friendly friend ...
                                    True, in French, but:
                                    Automotive press asked Chevrolet product managers, what is a Camaro? and were told it was a small, vicious animal that eats Mustangs.

:D :thumbup:
                                    1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
                                    Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

O Really wrote:
                                    Sat May 18, 2019 9:26 pm
                                    So I don't know what your deal with the Camaros is, but here's a fun story for you. One of my frat brothers was Bill Estes, whose dad, Pete Estes, was President of Chevrolet at the time. Bill drove a non-assuming looking Pontiac Tempest, left over from when Pete was President of Pontiac. But it was no ordinary Tempest. Under the family-sedan skin was the heart of GTO. Anyway, Pete was the one who presided over the development of the Camaro, and the one who named it. Here's Bill's version of how it was named, as described in an article written upon Pete's death.

“I came for dinner one night, and it was just my mother and [me]. My brothers had gone away to school, and my dad pulled this piece of paper out of his pocket and said, ‘We’ve got to name this new little car that’s coming out,’” Bill said. “He had three names listed on this piece of paper, and he showed it to my mother and [me]. My mother liked the name Camaro that was listed and asked my dad what it meant. He replied that it meant a warm, friendly friend, and she said, ‘That’s it. That’s a perfect name.’ Months went by before we realized that the car had actually come out and was called the Camaro, so that’s how it started.
                                    I read somewhere in the past that Camaro is a French slang term for a friend. Sounds more like a Spanish word to me, though. Here's another story from the past. I once had a friend that bought a 69 Z28 Camaro for $1800 and a pound of pot (the going rate for pot at the time was about $180) but this was back when you could buy a baggie slap full of pot for fifteen or twenty bucks, about 1970 or 71. Anyway, the Camaro was blue with the white stripes on the hood and trunk. The original Z28 only had a 302ci engine but it was geared low and could get going in a hurry. I also drove that car a few times. A good time was had by all. Oh, and if the link works check out the thing I posted about the 2014 Z28; a stock car hitting 160 on the German course; watch it full screen to see the g force monitor.