College football

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: College football

Unread post by Vrede too »

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:11 am
Go (AP rankings):

Undefeated #2 Miami (FL) -13.5 @ Pittsburgh.
Oh no!!! Does Miami still make the playoffs if they beat Clemson in the ACC Championship? Does Clemson? Probably moot, today's Miami doesn't beat Clemson.

I went with Baylor +24.5 @ #10. Baylor scored a TD and a safety in the first minute and a half. The #10 TCU spread grew to 33.5. Cool. Baylor down 19-21 at the half and 22-28 late in the 3rd. Could TCU get knocked out of the top 10? Nope, but Baylor did hang on to beat the spread by 1.5, 22-45, whew.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Arrrrgh! Today's Miami couldn't have beaten the hapless 'Heels, much less Clemson. I wonder which team will show up for the championship.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

I went with:

Virginia +7.5 vs #24 Virginia Tech.
East Carolina +28.5 @ #17 Memphis.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Go (AP rankings):

Undefeated #13 UCF -10 vs #22 South Florida.
Crazy game, 3 TDs in the last 2:21, 49-42, the losing QB threw for 503 yards, 11.2 yards per attempt, 4 TDs and only 1 INT. Too bad about the spread, but UCF is the 1st ever FBS team to go from 0-12 to 11-0 in 2 years. :clap:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:47 pm
I went with:

Virginia +7.5 vs #24 Virginia Tech.
0-10. Really VA? You can't score one lousy FG in 60 minutes to beat the spread? I'm 1-3.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
I went with:

Memphis 49, East Carolina 0 with 1 minute left in the 1st half. :roll:
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:32 pm
Vrede too wrote:
I went with:

Memphis 49, East Carolina 0 with 1 minute left in the 1st half. :roll:
Never give up
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:06 pm
Never give up
:lol: 70-13. For the record, East Carolina University is a long, long distance from where I live, not all that much closer than Memphis is. ;)
Vrede too wrote:
Go (AP rankings):

Georgia Tech +11 vs #7 Georgia. Not even close. :roll:
Michigan +12 vs #8 Ohio St. Michigan hangs on to beat the spread by 1. We'll see how it does today, but I think WI can beat Ohio St. in the Big 10 championship.

Best of all worlds:
Georgia Tech humiliates Georgia. Oh well.
Oklahoma St. beat the 40 point spread over Kansas by 1, crap.

I'm tied for last at 2-6, but the leaders are only 5-3. So, I'm not dead yet.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

So how much do you suppose the Michigan QB got paid to chuck that ball right at the OSU guy's numbers?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Go (AP rankings):

Maryland +22 :roll: vs #12 Penn St. Go Terps, lose to PSU by 21.5 or less! Sigh.
Pffft, Penn St. beat the spread in the 1st half, as did Oklahoma with the 22.5 point spread over West Virginia. Thankfully, the Big 10 Network doesn't let me watch Maryland get stomped.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

West Virginia hovered a bit, though, Maryland didn’t.

Oklahoma QBs:
Baker Mayfield
Att 17, Comp 14, Pct 82.4!, Yds 281!, Y/A 16.5!, TD 3, Int 0, Sack 0, QBRat 279.4!
Kyler Murray
Att 2, Comp 2, Pct 100.0, Yds 52, Y/A 26.0!, TD 1, Int 0, Sack 0, QBRat 483.4!
Rush 3, Yds 80!, Avg 26.7!, Long 66!
O Really wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:42 pm
So how much do you suppose the Michigan QB got paid to chuck that ball right at the OSU guy's numbers?
The announcer said the WR made the right read on the safety and curled and the QB didn't make the right read. Made sense, but idk.

Wisconsin!

WDE! Congrats bp. The only downside is that it may mean 2 SEC teams in the playoffs, yuck.
Vrede too wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:36 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:40 pm
Out of principle only - never bet on a schlock team with a blue field
Thanks. Go:

Fresno St. +7.5 vs. #25 Boise St.
Fresno St. won by 11. Excellent. I would have picked Boise St., thanks!

I did better in the late afternoon games, but so did everyone else. I'm out of the money and just one out of last. :(
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

WDE, indeed!

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Here, sports, or both.

Gotta love the Round Mound of Rebound's comments this weekend in Auburn.

On Moore - Something to the effect of,

Don't even get me started on this women stuff. This man should have been long disqualified. He's a white supremacist. How can a white supremacist represent the people of Alabama?

On the Iron Bowl, He also said before the game,

Do you remember the game they call the Kick Six? Well this one is the Kick Ass.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:09 pm
Here, sports, or both.

Gotta love the Round Mound of Rebound's comments this weekend in Auburn.

On Moore - Something to the effect of,

Don't even get me started on this women stuff. This man should have been long disqualified. He's a white supremacist. How can a white supremacist represent the people of Alabama? ...
Here you go:
Charles Barkley calls out 'white separatist' Roy Moore at Auburn before start of Iron Bowl

Former NBA star Charles Barkley said on Saturday said Republican candidate Roy Moore, who is facing multiple allegations of sexual impropriety, should have been disqualified from his race for Alabama's vacant U.S. Senate because of his ties to Steve Bannon, President Trump's former chief strategist.

Barkley, who is an Alabama native, said that because Bannon is a "white separatist," Moore should not be running for political office as he would not be able to represent the diverse state population.

"I don't understand why that's even a question," Barkley said to a reporter who asked him how Alabamians should vote for the Senate seat. "I mean Roy Moore is running with Steve Bannon as his right-hand man, who is a white separatist. I'm not even going to get into the women stuff, but how can you be a white separatist and represent all the constituents in your state? Everybody is going crazy over these sexual allegations, but Roy Moore, to me, when he bought in Steve Bannon, should have been disqualified ... How can you have a guy who is running with a white separatist running for a political office? We have a lot of black people in this state who are amazing people. But to run a campaign with a guy as your chief advocate who is a white nationalist, a white separatist, that should have disqualified Roy Moore way before this women stuff came up." ...
:clap:

I remember the Kick Six, didn't know that it had a clever name. Too bad about then losing the BCS National Championship Game to the hated Florida State Seminoles 34–31.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Auburn fans got stuck in bushes storming field after Alabama win; Auburn fined $250K

Look at the bottom, there's an arm struggling fruitlessly and some huge guy in blue steps right on the body beneath it. :lol:

Comment: “There's no barrier that a drunk sports fan can't overcome.”

The Coaches and the AP agree, and the Coaches even gave Auburn some #1 votes:
1 Clemson (11-1)
2 Oklahoma (11-1)
3 Wisconsin (12-0)
4 Auburn (10-2)

I’ll root for either Auburn or GA if one winning makes 2 SEC playoff teams less likely. I’ll have to see what the PSC does late Tuesday and what the talking heads then say. If neither win helps AL more, I may root for Auburn in solidarity with you. TCU and OH St. can really muddy the waters. I’m still rooting for WI all the way, and probably for TCU (ugh) since it could knock the Big 12 out of the playoffs entirely.

Does Wisconsin get the #1 seed if it beats OH St.? It should.

Clearly articulated and possibly fanciful playoff situation:

Winners and Losers: After losses by Nos. 1 and 2, here are the 3 most likely playoff scenarios

Alabama’s gonna be pissed off if it’s the only 1-loss major conference team to miss the playoffs, awww.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Just 7 games this week.

Go (AP rankings, spreads will change some):

#14 Stanford +3 @ #11 USC. Gotta go with my brother's alma mater.
Unbeaten #12 UCF -7.5 vs 10-1 #16 Memphis. Memphis only lost to UCF in week 5, 40-13.
#10 TCU +7 @ #2 Oklahoma.
#25 Fresno St. +9.5 @ Boise St. The sequel. Sticking with your advice, bp. They've got the same Mountain West conference and overall records and Fresno St. won the head-to-head 28-17, so why is the game @ Boise St. and why is Boise St. favored? :headscratch: It's not a Yahoo! glitch, Vegas says the same thing. This conference championship barely squeaked into our pool with Fresno St. being at #25.
#7 Miami +10 @ #1 Clemson. The 2nd most important game to me. The big spread makes it even easier.
Unbeaten #3 Wisconsin +5.5 vs #8 Ohio St. Go Badgers, all the way!
Vrede too wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:30 pm
I’ll root for either Auburn or GA if one winning makes 2 SEC playoff teams less likely. I’ll have to see what the PSC does late Tuesday and what the talking heads then say. If neither win helps AL more, I may root for Auburn in solidarity with you....

Alabama’s gonna be pissed off if it’s the only 1-loss major conference team to miss the playoffs, awww.
#4 Auburn -2.5 vs #6 Georgia. I'm surprised that the spread isn't larger with the game being at Auburn and with Auburn having crushed Georgia 40-17 on 11/11. I'm definitely picking Auburn unless the spread widens.

I'm picking underdogs 5-2.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

The game is in Atlanta.

90 miles from Athens and 110 from Auburn. Tickets are 50/50 split

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:51 am
The game is in Atlanta.

90 miles from Athens and 110 from Auburn. Tickets are 50/50 split
Ah of course, thanks, Auburn is just listed as the "home" team. I wonder why Atlanta, there are no SEC teams there and no college teams at all play at Mercedes-Benz Stadium. The Atlanta Falcons play there. You would think that they would keep the money in the conference or at least in college. Maybe it's more important which stadium offers the SEC more money.

That still doesn't explain the Mountain West Conference Football Championship Game. Here are the rules according to Wiki:
The division champion with the higher College Football Playoff ranking going into the final week of regular season

That was indeed then #25 Boise St., Fresno St. was unranked.

is designated as the host school unless it loses its final regular season game.

Boise St. did lose its final regular season game.

If the latter occurs, or neither team is ranked in the latest available College Football Playoff rankings,

I guess they mean the PSC rankings that don't come out until late Tuesday, since Fresno St. is ranked higher by the AP. Neither are ranked by the Coaches, though Fresno St. got more votes.

then the following procedure is used:

Team with better composite ranking among selected computer rankings

The selected computer rankings say that the head-to-head loser is better?

Head-to-head record

That's Fresno St.!

Record versus common conference opponents
Winning percentage against the next-highest placed common conference opponent and proceeding through the conference, with placing based on:
Placement within the division
Overall conference record
Composite of selected computer rankings
Coin toss
I think Fresno St. got ripped off somehow.

USC is the "home" team for the PAC 12 Championship Game being played at the San Francisco 49ers stadium in Santa Clara, California, much, much closer to Stanford. :thumbup:

Clemson is the "home" team for the ACC Championship Game being played at the Carolina Panthers stadium in Charlotte, North Carolina, much, much closer to Clemson. :thumbdown:

Oklahoma is the "home" team for the Big 12 Championship Game being played at the Dallas Cowboys stadium in Arlington, Texas, essentially TCU's hometown, not that I care.

Wisconsin is the "home" team for the Big 12 Championship Game being played at the Indianapolis Colts stadium in Indianapolis, somewhat closer to OH St. :thumbdown:

UCF is the home team for the American Athletic Championship Game being played at its home filed in Orlando. :thumbup:
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

But then there's Georgia again on Saturday
We lost Bubba early in the season and Kerryon more than made up for the loss. I hope he's ready for the game, but the way he went down looked like something that doesn't go away in a day or two.