FIFA

O Really
Admiral

FIFA

Unread post by O Really »

Maybe some of you soccer/futbal fans can explain the difference in FIFA accepting "bribes" for their votes to hold the World Cup in various places and Volvo accepting "incentives" to build their plant in SC. Yes, I understand bribery with regard to public officials, but isn't FIFA a private corporation? Couldn't they say, "give us a pile of money and we'll bring a tournament to your town"? Isn't that what NFL teams and the NFL do with cities? Serious question.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Re: FIFA

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Any different than the Olympics?
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

FIFA is an association established under the Laws of Switzerland. I'm not sure how that differs from a private corporation, or if it matters. It's a massive institution spanning 209 nations - the UN only has 193 - and its power and economic impact far exceeds its own annual revenue of over $1.3 billion.

So, I don't think its corruption is different in principle from any other public or private, legal or illegal corruption. More people are angered and saddened by it, though. Good on the US and others for going after the bastards.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

So the US "and others" can chase them because they have member organizations in the US? I know the US charges are RICO stuff, but I don't have sufficient interest to dig into exactly how the jurisdictions go or how the charges were determined. I just thought what they're calling "bribes" sound a lot like "incentives."

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

I'm not following it closely, either. I believe the ones charged by the US have some connection to the US in carrying out the crimes they are alleged to have committed, not just "because they have member organizations in the US". If not, I'm fine with them not being extradited and then being prosecuted elsewhere.

I think the exposure and, hopefully, reform is more important in the long run than the results of the prosecutions.

Yes, there's overlap between "bribes" and "incentives" but, in general, incentives should be transparent and go to FIFA, not secretly to individuals.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote: Yes, there's overlap between "bribes" and "incentives" but, in general, incentives should be transparent and go to FIFA, not secretly to individuals.
Apparently it wasn't all that secret :roll:

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

:D
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

O Really wrote:
Vrede too wrote: Yes, there's overlap between "bribes" and "incentives" but, in general, incentives should be transparent and go to FIFA, not secretly to individuals.
Apparently it wasn't all that secret :roll:
No, but they broke the rule where they weren't allows to take bribes using their hands.

In any case, the newly-elected FIFA President has announced he's resigning. Sepp Blatter will go back to sounding like something you look up on WebMD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:07 pm
Maybe some of you soccer/futbol fans can explain the difference in FIFA accepting "bribes" for their votes to hold the World Cup in various places and Volvo accepting "incentives" to build their plant in SC. Yes, I understand bribery with regard to public officials, but isn't FIFA a private corporation? Couldn't they say, "give us a pile of money and we'll bring a tournament to your town"? Isn't that what NFL teams and the NFL do with cities? Serious question.
Speaking of "incentives", whether or not there are also individuals secretly bribed:
Alex Morgan: USA forward calls potential Saudi sponsorship deal for 2023 Women's World Cup 'bizarre'

... Earlier this month co-hosts Australia and New Zealand asked Fifa to "urgently clarify" reports Visit Saudi is to be named as an official sponsor for the tournament, which starts in July.

The Gulf kingdom has been accused of human rights abuses.

"Morally, it just doesn't make sense," said two-time World Cup winner Morgan.

"It's bizarre that Fifa has looked to have a Visit Saudi sponsorship for the Women's World Cup when I, myself, Alex Morgan, would not even be supported and accepted in that country."

Saudi Arabia has invested heavily in sporting events in recent years but has been accused of using events to 'sportswash' its reputation....

"I just don't understand it," added Morgan.

"What Saudi Arabia can do is put efforts into their women's team that was just formed only a couple of years ago and doesn't even have a current ranking, within the Fifa ranking system, because of the such few games that they've played.

"That would be my advice to them and I really hope that Fifa does the right thing." ...
:roll: :puke-left:

The article doesn't quite make it clear that FW Alex Morgan (33) is still on the United States women's national soccer team, as is FW Megan Rapinoe (37).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_St ... rent_squad

Go USWNT, go Australia and New Zealand, fuck Saudi Arabia.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

The only one as crooked as FIFA may be the IOC.

Scumbags all.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.