College sports

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

College sports

Unread post by Vrede too »

North Carolina releases NCAA's Notice of Allegations

For now, I am not the so-so Tarheel fan that I was.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Re: College sports

Unread post by O Really »

Being an alumni of Miami as well as UNC, I'm pretty much inured to scandal. NCAA got tired of all the usual suspects and looked for fresh meat, I guess. Athletes getting preferential treatment, crip courses, coaches leaning on teachers...lions, tigers, and bears - oh my!

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

I know it's pervasive, but I can still get angry at the ones where it's proved.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Somebody else who thinks it's a yawner... http://www.sbnation.com/college-basketb ... -ncaa-2015

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

It's not a juicy enough scandal when it's systemic within a school and within the NCAA. :roll:
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:It's not a juicy enough scandal when it's systemic within a school and within the NCAA. :roll:
'Tis true. The ordinary isn't news. Dog bites man and all that.
But an organization that says a coach (or alumni) can't give/lend an athlete $50 for a tank of gas to go visit his critically ill mother when the same loan/gift to any other student by any other professor would be fine is pretty much creating a predictable environment of limit-pushing.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Federal prosecutor Kenneth Wanstein subsequently uncovered new information pertaining to the scandal, revealing last October that more than 3,100 students were enrolled in the classes in question over an 18-year period and that student-athletes accounted for nearly half the course enrollments.
When corruption has been going on that long, you're going to have unintended consequences.

Khalid Sheikh Mohammed was architect of the 9/11 attacks, the Bali nightclub bombing in Indonesia, the 1993 World Trade Center bombing and more. He attended Chowan College in Murfreesboro, North Carolina and later North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University, NCAA competitors of the University of North Carolina.

One can imagine the effect that the student-athlete corruption had on him and his perception of America.

With a bit more honesty on the Tar Heels' part, we might have avoided 9/11, the 1993 WTC bombing, the Bojinka plot, the Richard Reid shoe bombing attempt and more. America wouldn't have had 14 years of war and become a torture state. It wouldn't have the Patriot Act and NSA domestic spying programs. We wouldn't have ISIS.

Nice going, Tar Heels.

O Really
Admiral

rstrong wrote:Chowan College in Murfreesboro, North Carolina and later North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University, NCAA competitors of the University of North Carolina.

:lol:
Sure - in the same way that Northwest Calgary Tech is a "competitor" of McGill.

O Really
Admiral

More evidence the NCAA rule-writers are anal-retentive idiots who create imaginary "violations" so they can keep their phoney-baloney jobs.
http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/ ... ar-AAcxLgw

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

O Really wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:49 am
More evidence the NCAA rule-writers are anal-retentive idiots who create imaginary "violations" so they can keep their phoney-baloney jobs.
in each case the rule was probably known to the coach, or should have been. Granted their are violations everywhere, but maybe more enforcement would be better than tossing the system.

I had a discussion (argument) with my sister last week. She believes that social security disability and medicaid should be tossed because some people take advantage and break the rules. she knows because she works part-time in a hospital.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

No offense to yo' sister, but she would benefit from a walk in somebody else's sneakers. Sure, some succeed in scamming, but social security disability is so complicated to get that there's a whole cottage industry of lawyers who specialize in helping people who've been denied. http://lawyers.findlaw.com/lawyer/pract ... disability

And there's a lot more Medicare fraud committed by healthcare providers than by Medicaid recipients (right, Gov. Scott?)

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:27 am
No offense to yo' sister, but she would benefit from a walk in somebody else's sneakers. Sure, some succeed in scamming, but social security disability is so complicated to get that there's a whole cottage industry of lawyers who specialize in helping people who've been denied. http://lawyers.findlaw.com/lawyer/pract ... disability

And there's a lot more Medicare fraud committed by healthcare providers than by Medicaid recipients (right, Gov. Scott?)
I'm constantly offended by her.

that all goes over her head. but, but, but I saw those people scamming the system.

additional proof that right wingers fail to see irony

she lives just around the bend at Lake Markin from mr. scrushy's former residence.
http://money.cnn.com/2005/10/26/news/ne ... a_scrushy/

and I'm sure that she would support rick scott
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:05 am
O Really wrote:
in each case the rule was probably known to the coach, or should have been. Granted their are violations everywhere, but maybe more enforcement would be better than tossing the system.

I had a discussion (argument) with my sister last week. She believes that social security disability and medicaid should be tossed because some people take advantage and break the rules. she knows because she works part-time in a hospital.
I didn't sign. I don't know what the solution is for college athletics, but thought y'all would be interested.
End the NCAA exploitation of Black athletes

Tell NCAA President Mark Emmert:

Here is the Petition:

The racial disparities in who is being paid by the NCAA and who is not is deeply problematic, and in the big-money sports environment, where this historical pattern of white profit from Black bodies is apparent, it’s alarming that the NCAA continues to deny the agency and worth of the Black athletes who have built it into a sporting empire. It’s time that the NCAA let athletes financially benefit from their work by dropping the amateurism rules and allowing players to profit off of their own images.
"white profit from Black bodies" - so true.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:42 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:05 am
O Really wrote:

I didn't sign. I don't know what the solution is for college athletics, but thought y'all would be interested.
End the NCAA exploitation of Black athletes

Tell NCAA President Mark Emmert:

Here is the Petition:

The racial disparities in who is being paid by the NCAA and who is not is deeply problematic, and in the big-money sports environment, where this historical pattern of white profit from Black bodies is apparent, it’s alarming that the NCAA continues to deny the agency and worth of the Black athletes who have built it into a sporting empire. It’s time that the NCAA let athletes financially benefit from their work by dropping the amateurism rules and allowing players to profit off of their own images.
"white profit from Black bodies" - so true.
Just a coincidence of history.

Rich profit from poor is more accurate.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:11 pm
Just a coincidence of history.

Rich profit from poor is more accurate.
We'll have to disagree.

Rich vs. poor is certainly true, but I don't think it's coincidental that the people in a position to profit are almost exclusively white while the majority of those that see athletics as a potential escape from poverty are black. That's not to say that most college athletes are black when we include sports like field hockey and rowing, but it is true for the sports that are uber-profitable for schools and that college athletes could theoretically make big bucks off of while still in school.

In other words, I don't think the distinction can be made between race and class in America on average.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really
Admiral

Oh goodlord, "The NCAA board voted to begin a process that would let college athletes “benefit from the use of their name, image and likeness.”

How hard can this be, if the NCAA wasn't trying to make it hard? Just take a meat axe to all the ticky-tacky rules they have now. Give me the book - I'll do it.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:01 pm
Oh goodlord, "The NCAA board voted to begin a process that would let college athletes “benefit from the use of their name, image and likeness.”

How hard can this be, if the NCAA wasn't trying to make it hard? Just take a meat axe to all the ticky-tacky rules they have now. Give me the book - I'll do it.
IMO it's complicated with lots of potential for unintended consequences. Money makes some people richer, but it isn't especially known for making things better overall. I'm okay with deliberation on such a radical change.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Things do change.

This from a 1916 game

Several players "suffered serious injuries during the game, including quarterback Edwards, who was thrice carted off with concussions."

Hey, you've only had 2 concussions, get back in there.