College basketball

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: College basketball

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Haven't heard anything about Wiley. Oh well, #5 RPI and #8 AP not bad.

Second best start ever.

According to Pearl, the tournament in Italy during the summer where they played bigger older teams in an environment where they also toured ancient Rome and the Vatican is something he has done in the past to create a stronger team spirit.

Whatever he's doing, as long as it's legal, I love the watch this team play.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

First home loss this season.

It was close. Tied with 3 seconds left and they charged into our player under the basket. Looked like we were going to pull it off until the ref called a blocking foul on us. I guess it was a good call; our defender's heel was touching the arc line.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Ouch, just 1 point, but it hurts that it was at Auburn vs. an unranked team.

KY (2/14) has dropped to #24, probably unranked since TN just beat it, and FL (2/24) is already unranked. Gonna be hard for Auburn to stay in or return to the top 10. Otoh, it's 1/2 beatdown of then #23 TN looks better now that TN is #15 or soon higher.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:18 am
Ouch, just 1 point, but it hurts that it was at Auburn vs. an unranked team.

KY (2/14) has dropped to #24, probably unranked since TN just beat it, and FL (2/24) is already unranked. Gonna be hard for Auburn to stay in or return to the top 10. Otoh, it's 1/2 beatdown of then #23 TN looks better now that TN is #15 or soon higher.
If his foot had been a half inch forward, it would have been us taking the foul shots.

What we are from now on may hinge on the injury to Brice. He was the one who could get the team and the crowd going.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Just won our first one without Brice - our top scorer, but it was only uga. Kentucky next.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:09 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:23 pm
#11 and only 2 teams with fewer losses.

Not bad, not bad at all. Biggest problem is we don't have any real height without Wiley and there ain't much depth.
RPI Rankings #6!

If they can beat #21 Kentucky on 2/14 and #23 Florida on 2/24, they should make the AP & Coaches top 10s and get a great NCAA seed.

There aren't any teams that I love that are doing very well, I may have to root for AP #4 Dook. #5 Michigan State may get a lot of spillover gymnastics hate thrown their way, too bad for the players.
What a difference 2 weeks makes.

22-3 Auburn now RPI #9, AP #10.

17-8 Kentucky now AP #38! after losing its last 3.

Loser to Auburn 19-6 Tennessee has dropped to AP #18 after getting stomped by Alabama 50 - 78.

17-8 Florida is now AP# 27 after losing 2 of its last 4.

Otoh, victor over Auburn by just a point 17-9 Texas A&M is now AP #21.

Auburn has no more ranked opponents other than possibly Tennessee in the SEC tournament, could stay right around #10 or fall going into March Madness.

20-5 Duke has dropped to AP #12 after losing 3 of its last 5. :(
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:00 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:09 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:23 pm
#11 and only 2 teams with fewer losses.

Not bad, not bad at all. Biggest problem is we don't have any real height without Wiley and there ain't much depth.
RPI Rankings #6!

If they can beat #21 Kentucky on 2/14 and #23 Florida on 2/24, they should make the AP & Coaches top 10s and get a great NCAA seed.

There aren't any teams that I love that are doing very well, I may have to root for AP #4 Dook. #5 Michigan State may get a lot of spillover gymnastics hate thrown their way, too bad for the players.
What a difference 2 weeks makes.

22-3 Auburn now RPI #9, AP #10.

17-8 Kentucky now AP #38! after losing its last 3.

Loser to Auburn 19-6 Tennessee has dropped to AP #18 after getting stomped by Alabama 50 - 78.

17-8 Florida is now AP# 27 after losing 2 of its last 4.

Otoh, victor over Auburn by just a point 17-9 Texas A&M is now AP #21.

Auburn has no more ranked opponents other than possibly Tennessee in the SEC tournament, could stay right around #10 or fall going into March Madness.

20-5 Duke has dropped to AP #12 after losing 3 of its last 5. :(

We may not be ranked at all without Brown.

The A&M game did hurt. If he had set his foot a half inch forward the foul would have gone the other way.

Tonight will be tough. Our losses have all been against height.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:11 pm
... Tonight will be tough. Our losses have all been against height.
76 - KY 66, congrats. Revenge at home vs. Alabama 2/21, maybe.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:49 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:11 pm
... Tonight will be tough. Our losses have all been against height.
76 - KY 66, congrats. Revenge at home vs. Alabama 2/21, maybe.
I hope so, Bryce should be fine by then. He looked a little off against Kentucky.

Also their SGA has to present a trophy or something to Auburn at halftime for our iron bowl win.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Just lost another top starter. Looked like a career ending very broken ankle.
Good thing he's got the grades to do whatever eles he wants.
So far, only calling it a dislocated ankle.

My son broke his leg at the ankle his senior year. Lots of pins, screws and some Andrew's stem cell stuff and the cartridge grew back, but he still soaks at the end of every day.

Game sucked. Officiating sucked. Injuries sucked. Etc. sucked.

2nd half, every time it looked like we were coming back from 26 down the officials would stop play for no reason.
We were back to down five with five or six minutes left, wide open three point shot (which he made) and they blow the whistle to see if the shot clock should have been at 8, or 18 seconds. We miss, they get a three, and over and over.

Hope this kid wasn't hurt as bad as it looked.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:41 pm
... So far, only calling it a dislocated ankle....
Dislocated ankles are really bad even if there's no fracture. Not your son, clearly, but a simple fracture is good to go in 6 weeks or so. Ankles are hard to dislocate, hard to relocate, and tendons and ligaments are usually shredded.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

I know and know that he is out for the season. He was best shot blocker in the sec. Good thing he has a 3.9 GPA.

I don't know if this is new and interesting, but my son's break ripped nearly all the cartilage out of the socket. The surgeon told us that they used some of their experimental stem cell treatment on the cartilage. A few months later you could still see the jagged line of the old cartilage with the perfectly shaped new growth looking sort of translucent. Current x-rays show everything normal - except for the pins and screws.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

We lost 2 starters at the beginning of the season due to money problems with a crooked coach.

Now, we have lost the two second stringers who replaced them. Well, Bryce is playing again, but down from the team's top scorer to 5 points per game.

Losing Anfernee, the top shot blocker in the sec, will hurt a bunch, but replacing him with a third string foul happy Horace Spencer may not play well in our game tonight.

WDE
Beat bammer

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:26 am
We lost 2 starters at the beginning of the season due to money problems with a crooked coach.

Now, we have lost the two second stringers who replaced them. Well, Bryce is playing again, but down from the team's top scorer to 5 points per game.

Losing Anfernee, the top shot blocker in the sec, will hurt a bunch, but replacing him with a third string foul happy Horace Spencer may not play well in our game tonight.

WDE
Beat bammer
Lost another starter before this game (stomach virus), but looks like Bryce is mostly back. He missed his first five and keeps ice on his shoulder anytime he goes out, but he scored 18.

It really was a beat down by only 7 scholarship players and only 2 of the original starters. Could be that a lot of it is Pearl.
The bammers stuck with tradition showing real class with one of their starters flipping off the crowd before the game and
the bammer SGA followed suit after presenting us the trophy for our football win, they broke with tradition and would not sign our fight song.

Sir Charles was in the crowd having a hoot of a time.

Gators next.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Exclusive: Federal documents detail sweeping potential NCAA violations involving high-profile players, schools

... There’s potential impermissible benefits and preferential treatment for players and families of players at Duke, North Carolina, Texas, Kentucky, Michigan State, USC, Alabama and a host of other schools.

... North Carolina State ...
... Seton Hall ...
... LSU ...
... Maryland ...
... Washington ...

... South Carolina ...
... Utah ...
... Xavier ...
... Wichita State ...
... Clemson ...
... Kansas ...

Among the players and/or families who are listed as meeting with or having meals with Dawkins:

Current Alabama player Collin Sexton.
Current Duke player Wendell Carter.
Current Kentucky player Kevin Knox.
Former North Carolina player Tony Bradley.
Former Creighton player Justin Patton.
Former Texas player Prince Ibeh.
Former Notre Dame player Demetrius Jackson.
Former Vanderbilt player Wade Baldwin.
Former Virginia player Malcolm Brogdon.
Former Iowa State player Monte Morris.

... Villanova coaches ...

So far, four former assistant college basketball coaches have been arrested: Tony Bland of USC, Chuck Person of Auburn, Emanuel Richardson of Arizona and Lamont Evans of Oklahoma State. Six other assorted participants in the basketball underworld also have been arrested: Dawkins; former sneaker executives James Gatto and Merl Code; financial adviser Munish Sood; clothier and former referee Rashan Michel; and Florida AAU coach Brad Augustine. Charges against Augustine earlier were dismissed without explanation.

The case has also cost Louisville coach Rick Pitino his job, as the school parted ways with the Hall of Famer soon after the details of the program’s involvement in a six-figure agreement to sign five-star recruit Brian Bowen went public. Louisville athletic director Tom Jurich also was dismissed. At Auburn, two players and two members of the basketball support staff have been suspended. USC is withholding star point guard De’Anthony Melton from competition this season as well.
:roll: :cussing:
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:33 am
Exclusive: Federal documents detail sweeping potential NCAA violations involving high-profile players, schools

... There’s potential impermissible benefits and preferential treatment for players and families of players at Duke, North Carolina, Texas, Kentucky, Michigan State, USC, Alabama and a host of other schools.

... North Carolina State ...
... Seton Hall ...
... LSU ...
... Maryland ...
... Washington ...

... South Carolina ...
... Utah ...
... Xavier ...
... Wichita State ...
... Clemson ...
... Kansas ...

Among the players and/or families who are listed as meeting with or having meals with Dawkins:

Current Alabama player Collin Sexton.
Current Duke player Wendell Carter.
Current Kentucky player Kevin Knox.
Former North Carolina player Tony Bradley.
Former Creighton player Justin Patton.
Former Texas player Prince Ibeh.
Former Notre Dame player Demetrius Jackson.
Former Vanderbilt player Wade Baldwin.
Former Virginia player Malcolm Brogdon.
Former Iowa State player Monte Morris.

... Villanova coaches ...

So far, four former assistant college basketball coaches have been arrested: Tony Bland of USC, Chuck Person of Auburn, Emanuel Richardson of Arizona and Lamont Evans of Oklahoma State. Six other assorted participants in the basketball underworld also have been arrested: Dawkins; former sneaker executives James Gatto and Merl Code; financial adviser Munish Sood; clothier and former referee Rashan Michel; and Florida AAU coach Brad Augustine. Charges against Augustine earlier were dismissed without explanation.

The case has also cost Louisville coach Rick Pitino his job, as the school parted ways with the Hall of Famer soon after the details of the program’s involvement in a six-figure agreement to sign five-star recruit Brian Bowen went public. Louisville athletic director Tom Jurich also was dismissed. At Auburn, two players and two members of the basketball support staff have been suspended. USC is withholding star point guard De’Anthony Melton from competition this season as well.
:roll: :cussing:

I've been waiting for months for someone else to say it first.

Alabama super standout player Collin Sexton (27 of their 70 points against Auburn) was named at the same time the Auburn coach and players were named.

After he, his dad and a Alabama coach met with the moneyman and undercover FBI in a New York City restaurant (never heard the excuse for this), the FBI guy testified that he was taken to the bathroom for a few minutes.

Alabama held the kid out for one exhibition game.

Yeah sure, nothing happened.

And I'm still hoping like hell that Pearl ain't involved, but I know the Alabama kid is dirty.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Interesting article about Dawkins, here... http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... basketball

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:51 pm
Interesting article about Dawkins, here... http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... basketball
That's a lot of alleged fuck-up for 25 years old. I wonder how much dirt he has on more powerful folks.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:34 pm
O Really wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:51 pm
That's a lot of alleged fuck-up for 25 years old. I wonder how much dirt he has on more powerful folks.

I hope he confesses all - even if Auburn goes down.

It's time to clean up college sports.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Apparently the "clean-up" has been needed since the start.
https://www.sbnation.com/college-basket ... t-cheating