College basketball

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: College basketball

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:57 pm
Do the female Hurricanes get husbands, and why isn't the mens team called the Himmicanes?

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:51 am
... No head coaches - yet
Pitino's out at Louisville.

I knew that before I posted the opposite. oh well.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:19 pm
Doesn't really matter but I thought it happened today after you posted very early in the morning. I wasn't trying to show you up.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:54 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:19 pm
Doesn't really matter but I thought it happened today after you posted very early in the morning. I wasn't trying to show you up.

Being shown up for saying something wrong only makes me more informed. Please continue.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Five-star recruit E.J. Montgomery decommitted from Auburn on Wednesday, his father, E.J. Montgomery Sr., told Scout.

Read more at http://www.slamonline.com/college-hs/hi ... K8ZQVP6.99

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Also, Louisville athletics director Tom Jurich is on paid administrative leave. Not as certain that he's gone for good as Pitino, but I would bet on it.
http://start.att.net/news/read/article/ ... _a-rspnews
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/co ... 711098001/

Wow - a shoe company may pay saban more that UAT does.

Coaches and schools bought by shoe companies.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:58 pm
http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/co ... 711098001/

Wow - a shoe company may pay saban more that UAT does.

Coaches and schools bought by shoe companies.

I disagree with schools paying athletes, but if shoe and apparel companies have this much money to toss around, maybe letting the kids do endorsements wouldn't be such a bad idea.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

The athletes are "paid" with scholarships and other bennies, both overt and under the table. I don't know what the answer is. Fixes like yours would certainly be more honest, but might make college sports even worse.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Scholarships pay tuition/fees, but usually not other living expenses. Athletes in the big-impact sports bring in lots of money to the school - probably more than any other individuals. Athletics pays a lot of bills, keeps alums engaged, and builds national reputations (OK, so that's not always good). My problem about paying them isn't so much whether they should be paid directly, but that they are treated differently (and negatively) from garden-variety students. If a GV student needs help buying a ticket home and a faculty member helps them, it's fine. Let the coach help a player and it's a violation. Alumni Bob can provide car/transportation/ gifts/money to any student s/he likes, as long as it's not an athlete. To be sure, most alumni don't feed the math whizzes, but they could. Certainly the rules could be made more reasonable.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Still not saying that I know what should be done, but I don't think that's a fair comparison. Only the athletes stand a chance of becoming millionaires the day that they graduate and are thus in a position to somehow repay alumni investments immediately, and for the most part only the athletes are money makers for the school while still in school. We have to stifle corruption where it has actually appeared. We don't need to make things "fair" for athletes because a math whiz that isn't getting lavished and won't ever get lavished theoretically could be. I'm sure that "the rules could be made more reasonable", but not on the basis false equivalencies.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:16 pm
We have to stifle corruption where it has actually appeared. We don't need to make things "fair" for athletes because a math whiz that isn't getting lavished and won't ever get lavished theoretically could be.
Seriously? How many times have I taken you to task in this forum over theoretical concerns, for example in NSA issues? Anyway, very few athletes have the opportunity to be millionaires in pro sports, but the same silly rules apply to star quarterbacks and third-team swimmers alike. Sometimes "corruption" is a matter of definition. Maybe Pitino's hookers and crooked finance managers were corruption; buying a kid a ticket to go see his sick mum isn't (real example).

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

NSA issues are "theoretical concerns"? :shock: I'll let that one slide in this Sports forum. :D

I think we can agree on much of the problem, I just didn't like the math whiz comparison.

Few athletes have pro potential.
Some of those will be injured beyond pro-level repair.
Some athletics are huge cash cows, thus making the unpaid, non-eventual pro athletes exploited "workers".
There has been, is and will be massive cheating/corruption under the current restrictions.
Whichever way one goes on tickets and six packs, the core problem will still be huge.

Maybe some way of paying athletes is the answer, I don't know, but that opens up a whole new can of worms. Where does the money come from, which sports if not all of them get paid, do athletes within a sport all get paid the same, what about disparity between schools, etc.? The world sure didn't end when the Olympics dropped the facade of "amateur" athletes, though.

I'm glad I'm not deciding. I'll just be a fan until I get disgusted, then I won't.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:16 pm
Still not saying that I know what should be done, but I don't think that's a fair comparison. Only the athletes stand a chance of becoming millionaires the day that they graduate and are thus in a position to somehow repay alumni investments immediately, and for the most part only the athletes are money makers for the school while still in school. We have to stifle corruption where it has actually appeared. We don't need to make things "fair" for athletes because a math whiz that isn't getting lavished and won't ever get lavished theoretically could be. I'm sure that "the rules could be made more reasonable", but not on the basis false equivalencies.

With a few exceptions, basketball has been one and done for the top players. That alone attracts pro agents and other sponsors types to their high schools.

I like amateur sports and, to some extent, pro sports.
I don't like corruption, especially at my school.

So what if the top few go pro at 16 or 17, there are plenty of great players left who want to play for a school.

O Really's ride home example actually supports a hard line zero tolerance for paying students. It is only because the kid who needs a ride plays sports that he gets a ride home. Maybe the school should consider a general fund that coaches, alumni and teachers could pay into that any student in need could apply for.

Gray lines confuse issues.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

And now our 7 ft freshman has broken his leg. Stress fracture, but probably out for at least early part of season.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Looks like a few more schools are involved

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... s-silence/

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:49 am

We do a March Madness pool. You just inspired this note from me to our current college football pool:
How about organizing an early college basketball pool - arrests, new schools named, firings, prison sentences, etc.?
:D
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:05 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:

We do a March Madness pool. You just inspired this note from me to our current college football pool:
How about organizing an early college basketball pool - arrests, new schools named, firings, prison sentences, etc.?

Interesting idea

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

How fucking dumb do you have to be to go out shoplifting in China.

ucla loses team

3 UCLA Players Arrested for Shoplifting in China http://nbcnews.to/2yGnYL4

I guess they'll get special treatment, but could be looking at years in a Chinese prison

Reckon lavar passed on his dumbassness to his kid

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:14 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:05 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:

Interesting idea

Other than the assistant coach, it looks like AU didn't do anything.
He was indicted yesterday

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

I haven't decided whether to tease my UCLA employee and big time basketball fan brother yet.
1312. ETTD.