College basketball

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: College basketball

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

O Really wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:16 am
Apparently the "clean-up" has been needed since the start.
https://www.sbnation.com/college-basket ... t-cheating

of course, there will always be cheaters - no idea if it's true, but 1st father-in-law said that the first time the football penalty call for faking an injury was made was against the catholics of notre dame

I am somewhat encouraged by this investigation
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Comment found re FBI investigating NCAA violations: "Guess the FBI had more important things to do than chase after a crazy kid with an AR-15."

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:28 pm
Comment found re FBI investigating NCAA violations: "Guess the FBI had more important things to do than chase after a crazy kid with an AR-15."
poor kid is already rationalizing his team cheating
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:09 pm
If they can beat ... #23 unranked Florida on 2/24, they should make the AP & Coaches top 10s and get a great NCAA seed.
Opps.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:53 am
Vrede too wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:09 pm
If they can beat ... #23 unranked Florida on 2/24, they should make the AP & Coaches top 10s and get a great NCAA seed.
Opps.

weird game plan, or they completely had our number. We weren't even trying the long threes - hardly any threesat all and they beat us up under the basket.

their long 3/4 court buzzer beater heave to end the 1st half didn't hurt either - it should be on all the highlights

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:15 pm
O Really wrote:
of course, there will always be cheaters - no idea if it's true, but 1st father-in-law said that the first time the football penalty call for faking an injury was made was against the catholics of notre dame

Pistons coach Stan Van Gundy: NCAA 'maybe the worst organization' in sports
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:57 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:15 pm
O Really wrote:

Pistons coach Stan Van Gundy: NCAA 'maybe the worst organization' in sports
What does he know

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Of course I'm like past way way bias, but I can't remember ever having heard a negative story from the visiting fans about Auburn fans - well there was that time with Georgia and the sprinklers and that time with Georgia Tech when the team had to walk back from Loachapoka, but overall the opposing fans speak well of their experience.
There is an effort by most to make visitors feel welcome.
And for some reason the chickens always seem the most appreciative. Maybe that's why I always cheer for the chickens unless they are playing us.

Here's Frank Martin after his loss

https://auburn.247sports.com/Article/Wh ... -115820079

"A lot of credit to Auburn and its administration and fans. Those kids, too. Obviously, Bruce has been involved in it to create the atmosphere that they have created. That was phenomenal. That is what college basketball is all about. By the way, no one was rude - nobody. College kids saying great stuff that made me laugh on the way in and out of the arena. No one was being rude. Everyone was positive. Everyone cheered for the game and their team. Incredible atmosphere. Hats off to Auburn.”

Thanks Frank

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

btw - SEC champions

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:22 pm
btw - SEC champions
Regular season, barely, congrats! Good thing now AP #16 Auburn beat suddenly now hot #13 Tennessee way back on 1/2. They both finished 13-5 SEC. What's the point of a regular season if all 14 teams make it into the SEC Men's Basketball Tournament. I guess the 2-game bye that 3 other teams also get is something. A high seed team could have to play 5 games in 5 days if it keeps winning, wow.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:31 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:22 pm
btw - SEC champions
Regular season, barely, congrats! Good thing now AP #16 Auburn beat suddenly now hot #13 Tennessee way back on 1/2. They both finished 13-5 SEC. What's the point of a regular season if all 14 teams make it into the SEC Men's Basketball Tournament. I guess the 2-game bye that 3 other teams also get is something. A high seed team could have to play 5 games in 5 days if it keeps winning, wow.
yeah, late season injuries almost took us out of it.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

The sec just rolled out all the sec best this and best that awards without the slightest nod to any Auburn player or coach in spite of the Auburn players who have top conference stats and a coach who brought an almost dead program into the top ten.

Pearl does a pretty good job of pumping up the team whit this sort of slight. We were predicted to finish the sec with only 4 wins.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:39 pm
Alabama 81, #16 Auburn 63. Ut-oh, does that put the NCAA Tourney in doubt? Probably not, but still ugly to lose in the quarterfinals.

North Carolina knocks off Miami, advances to face Duke in showdown for a No. 1 seed?

Classic. AP #19 Clemson vs. 1 Virginia in the other semi tonight. Go Duke and Virginia, then go Duke.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:50 am
The sec just rolled out all the sec best this and best that awards without the slightest nod to any Auburn player or coach in spite of the Auburn players who have top conference stats and a coach who brought an almost dead program into the top ten.

Pearl does a pretty good job of pumping up the team whit this sort of slight. We were predicted to finish the sec with only 4 wins.
well that sucked

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:22 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Alabama 81, #16 Auburn 63. Ut-oh, does that put the NCAA Tourney in doubt? Probably not, but still ugly to lose in the quarterfinals.

North Carolina knocks off Miami, advances to face Duke in showdown for a No. 1 seed?

Classic. AP #19 Clemson vs. 1 Virginia in the other semi tonight. Go Duke and Virginia, then go Duke.
"go Dook"?? Seriously? K9Nanny will bop you on your pointy little head. I will fart in your general direction.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:26 pm
"go Dook"?? Seriously? K9Nanny will bop you on your pointy little head. I will fart in your general direction.
Congrats.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:26 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:22 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:

I don't know what to say about the game, except it was strange to watch.

We beat them in the first half and beat them in the last ten minutes, but we didn't make any shots in the first ten minutes of the second half. We did suck for those ten minutes and that is what lost us the game.

Their top paid player did what he was paid to do and the refs were in awe. I would love for any non Alabama fan to critique the officiating and tell me that it was only my bias watching him travel five or six times under the basket, commit multiple offensive charging fouls and Auburn fouled multiple times for getting too close to the star.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:37 pm
... I would love for any non Alabama fan to critique the officiating and tell me that it was only my bias watching him travel five or six times under the basket, commit multiple offensive charging fouls and Auburn fouled multiple times for getting too close to the star.
Did we start enforcing the traveling rule again?
http://www.blueridgedebate.com/viewtopi ... nce#p83550
;)
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:03 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:37 pm
... I would love for any non Alabama fan to critique the officiating and tell me that it was only my bias watching him travel five or six times under the basket, commit multiple offensive charging fouls and Auburn fouled multiple times for getting too close to the star.
Did we start enforcing the traveling rule again?
http://www.blueridgedebate.com/viewtopi ... nce#p83550
;)

We have a guy, Okeke, with a huge wingspan and a dribble that looks like a travel at first glance, but isn't. He gets called for traveling a couple times every game.

The FBI blew it when they left the money man alone with Sexton father and son after they traveled to that NYC restaurant.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

I know that I complain a lot about the sec when it comes to enforcing rules and coming up with all sort of bs. I guess being from a smaller school that had to play bama on their home field every year in football and rarely made a tv appearance in b-ball or football until recently has me whining the poor pitiful victim all too often, so this unusual step the sec is taking to pick who goes to next year's sec/big 12 challenge doesn't really come as a surprise to me, but should to almost any right thinking person unfamiliar with our relationship with the sec.

The challenge has always matched the regular season top ten from each conference, but since the 4 teams who missed the top ten last year all made it into the top ten this year – displacing uga, Vandy, SC and the rebel bears – something had to be done. 2019 will feature the same ten teams that participated in 2018 and champion Auburn will not be in the tournament.