billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: College basketball

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:41 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:49 am
... And, why is the media seeming to be badmouthing Duke?
I didn't know that they are. It's 8-1, #3, beat #8 Auburn by a narrow 6 and lost to now #1 Gonzaga by just 2. Otherwise, it's blowing out its opponents, including #9 KY. So, can't be quality of play. Something else?
I think they look great. Maybe I'm reading the wrong articles.

Gonzaga won on an amazing buzzer beater against the Washington that Auburn beat and Ashville made Auburn look mediocre.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:21 pm
I think they look great. Maybe I'm reading the wrong articles....
I haven't been reading any articles. If you come across another Duke-slamming one, please share so we can figure out what they're talking about.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:41 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:49 am
... And, why is the media seeming to be badmouthing Duke?
I didn't know that they are. It's 8-1, #3, beat #8 Auburn by a narrow 6 and lost to now #1 Gonzaga by just 2. Otherwise, it's blowing out its opponents, including #9 KY. So, can't be quality of play. Something else?

I think Duke looks great. Maybe I'm reading the wrong articles.

Gonzaga won on an amazing buzzer beater against the Washington that Auburn beat and Ashville made Auburn look mediocre.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:04 pm
I think Duke looks great....
Did you accidentally post that a 2nd time or is BRD on drugs?
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:14 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:04 pm
I think Duke looks great....

I like to think that BRD is on drugs, but think it may have been me closing windows on my phone and guessing wrongly that I had forgotten to click Submit.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:53 am
Vrede too wrote:
I like to think that BRD is on drugs, but think it may have been me closing windows on my phone and guessing wrongly that I had forgotten to click Submit.
So, you're on drugs.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:44 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:53 am
Vrede too wrote:
So, you're on drugs.
Could be. I thought I was while reading this bs. Son says the guy is nuts but he gets a vote.

https://collegebasketball.ap.org/poll-v ... aham-couch

His top 25 doesn't include Duke, Kansas, Tennessee or Auburn.

Perspective

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... is-ballot/

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:51 am
Vrede too wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:44 pm
So, you're on drugs.
Could be. I thought I was while reading this bs. Son says the guy is nuts but he gets a vote.

https://collegebasketball.ap.org/poll-v ... aham-couch

His top 25 doesn't include Duke, Kansas, Tennessee or Auburn.
:crazy:
... he has a rule that prevents him from ranking teams that haven't played a true-road game by a certain point in December.
Ah, Graham Couch seems very wise to me. ;) :P
Vrede too wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:07 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:00 am
Vrede too wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:13 pm
Is this the norm for high level teams?

This tournament is at a neutral site for both teams.

Duke
Kentucky was a neutral site.
12/20 vs Texas Tech will be a neutral site.
After 11 or more games, first game on an opponent's court 1/8 at Wake Forest.

Auburn
12/15 vs UAB will be a neutral site.
12/19 at North Carolina State
Then, after a total of 11 or more other games, next game on an opponent's court 1/9 at Mississippi.
I think so but will have to ask my late rising expert.

My guess - conference play starts in January.

Yeah, that forces away games, but I'm still surprised by the lack of them in non-conference play. Teams that can get away with it creating a money and rankings advantage?

? - how is Birmingham a neutral site for Auburn against the University of Alabama at Birmingham

:lol: Good point, I just went by the asterisk. Technically neutral because it's being played at the Legacy Arena at the Birmingham-Jefferson Convention Complex in North Birmingham (capacity 17,654) rather than at the Bartow Arena (capacity 8,508) at UAB. Maybe called "neutral" because it's harder to plug up the visitors' toilets? ;)
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Now I'm thinking that Duke had an off night against Auburn.

No idea if it's true, but several sources are saying that N.C. State did not allow Auburn on the court for customary before game shoot around.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:51 am

Now we know why Auburn doesn't play true away games in Nov. and Dec. :P

Zion Williamson helps No. 2 Duke top unbeaten (#12) Texas Tech

Excellent.

No idea if it's true, but several sources are saying that N.C. State did not allow Auburn on the court for customary before game shoot around.

Could be, no mention one way or the other in the Raleigh paper.
https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/art ... 48130.html
https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/spt ... 46055.html
If it was to get an edge over a top 10 team, I guess it worked. Would be an odd and petty thing to do. Could the NCAA step in?
Rick Pitino takes coaching job in Greece

The safest bet in the world was that Rick Pitino’s claim that he was done coaching basketball would not turn out to be true.

On Thursday afternoon, the former Kentucky and Louisville head coach accepted a position as the head coach of Greek power Panathinaikos, a club team located in Athens that plays in the Euroleague ...

Pitino was fired by Louisville last October, after his program was caught in the FBI’s investigation into college basektball participating in a scheme to get Adidas to funnel $100,000 to the father of Brian Bowen, a five-star prospect from Saginaw, Michigan....
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:56 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:51 am

Now we know why Auburn doesn't play true away games in Nov. and Dec. :P

Zion Williamson helps No. 2 Duke top unbeaten (#12) Texas Tech

Excellent.

Could be, no mention one way or the other in the Raleigh paper.
https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/art ... 48130.html
https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/spt ... 46055.html
If it was to get an edge over a top 10 team, I guess it worked. Would be an odd and petty thing to do. Could the NCAA step in?
Rick Pitino takes coaching job in Greece

The safest bet in the world was that Rick Pitino’s claim that he was done coaching basketball would not turn out to be true.

On Thursday afternoon, the former Kentucky and Louisville head coach accepted a position as the head coach of Greek power Panathinaikos, a club team located in Athens that plays in the Euroleague ...

Pitino was fired by Louisville last October, after his program was caught in the FBI’s investigation into college basektball participating in a scheme to get Adidas to funnel $100,000 to the father of Brian Bowen, a five-star prospect from Saginaw, Michigan....

It's customary. Customary at nc state must mean petty.

Asked the son again. The announcers said it during the game and it's all over twitter.
Sure seems like a cheap shot. Wonder if it had any bearing on a team that lives on the 3 point shot not making one until 3 minutes into the second half. It seems that it did.

Edit

Wiki says

"The shootaround is a staple of the pre-game warmup routine for all NBA teams, most college teams, and many teams at all levels. So infused is the term into basketball's lexicon, in fact, that ESPN's NBA re-cap show is called NBA Shootaround."

N.C. State is one of the "most" and Auburn was expecting to practice on court before the game, only to be told that the facility was being used for another event and they could go practice at another gym.

I heard they're planning to paint their court red.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

I wonder which has the bigger effect - not getting in some practice shots or annoyance over the pettiness?

No. 1 goes down as No. 18 Arizona State upsets Kansas

Back to #1 for current #2 Duke (11-1)? I guess not playing any true away games in Nov. and Dec. works. :roll:

There still are a few undefeated teams.
http://scores.nbcsports.com/cbk/polls.asp
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:24 pm
I wonder which has the bigger effect - not getting in some practice shots or annoyance over the pettiness?

No. 1 goes down as No. 18 Arizona State upsets Kansas

Back to #1 for current #2 Duke (11-1)? I guess not playing any true away games in Nov. and Dec. works. :roll:

There still are a few undefeated teams.
http://scores.nbcsports.com/cbk/polls.asp
I doubt the coach or the players acted petty before, during or after the game. Their concentration was on winning. They lost because they didn't play as well as the other team and failed at overcoming an unforseen adversity. The loss is on them.

Fans and some in the media have noted that a team that lives by it 3 point shooting not making a 3 point shot until well after halftime and that their best 3 point shooter making zero 3 point shots after 13 attempts may have been partly related to not having a "feel" for the court.

For me, n.c. state is officially relegated to the college "Gimmick Club" alongside Blufield Boise.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:46 am
Vrede too wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:23 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:37 pm
March
Close one, in keeping with their current rankings. You even won the 2nd half. I take it that the officiating was decent. :P

"... Duke withstood its toughest test of the season so far ...

Up next #3 Gonzaga, Wed. 1700 ET. For your sake I'll hope that Duke beats it worse than it did Auburn. Good luck vs AZ Wed. 2330 ET.

March it is. I would not lay a bet on the outcome now.

SAN DIEGO STATE 79, XAVIER 74
Funny how this doesn't sync with Duke-Auburn and yesterday's games. Maybe y'all drained Xavier.

Basketball is too fast for me to complain too much about close calls. I thought we were off our game in the first ten minutes - way too many missed shots. We missed 11 of our first 15 3 point attempts.

I did think it unusual that Duke shot 18 foul shots in the 1st half and Auburn had zero foul shot attempts. Both teams seemed equally physical around the ball.

Barrett and Bolden were great, Zion not so much.
Coach K, as always, coached a great game.

Let me rephrase my earlier comment that "Barrett and Bolden were great, Zion not so much."

Barrett and Bolden are really good, Zion is incredible, crazy fantastic, a monster, ...
NBA watch out.
Last edited by billy.pilgrim on Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Auburn may have a test against an un-expectedly good ol miss team tonight.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:14 pm
Only it's 2nd true away game, and 1st since North Carolina State 12/19.

Duke also plays its 2nd true away game on 1/12 vs #13 Florida State. Its 1st wasn't very far "away", 1/8 at weak Wake Forest. Who knows, maybe they'll both start flopping.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:05 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:14 pm
Only it's 2nd true away game, and 1st since North Carolina State 12/19.

Duke also plays its 2nd true away game on 1/12 vs #13 Florida State. Its 1st wasn't very far "away", 1/8 at weak Wake Forest. Who knows, maybe they'll both start flopping.

It could happen, everybody else has flipped and flopped, but Duke has Zion and ol miss will let us look at the court before the game.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:55 pm
... ol miss will let us look at the court before the game.
:lol:

Only because it plays at Auburn on 2/13 ;) . Not sure when if ever NC St (just lost to UNC) does, definitely not this year.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:13 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:55 pm
... ol miss will let us look at the court before the game.
:lol:

Only because it plays at Auburn on 2/13 ;) . Not sure when if ever NC St (just lost to UNC) does, definitely not this year.

Hey now, we play fair in the sec. Otherwise I'd be complaining about lil nickki flipping Auburn football commit justyn ross away from Auburn before daboo flipped him away from bammer. I'm sure the cars meant nothing.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:57 pm
Hey now, we play fair in the sec. Otherwise I'd be complaining about lil nickki flipping Auburn football commit justyn ross away from Auburn before daboo flipped him away from bammer. I'm sure the cars meant nothing.
You have my appreciation for any griping about Bama and Clemson. It's all southern cheating. ;)
1312. ETTD.