Agony of Defeat

O Really
Admiral

Agony of Defeat

Unread post by O Really »

Just when you think it can't get any worse for England...
https://wwwtheguardian.com/football/201 ... tch-report

Iceland 2 England 1

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Agony of Defeat

Unread post by Vrede too »

They're calling it "Brexit 2". :D
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

OK, so Hope Solo is a short fused hothead who showed remarkable unsportsmanlike conduct (at least by pretend Olympic standards) following their loss to Sweden. OK, so she's 37 or so and didn't manage to pull out the championship game, not entirely her fault. It's not like she can score or anything. Still.
She's the best woman goalie ever to play the game, apparently, and has been a backbone of the team for 17 years. I think they shafted her and treated her way worse than her transgressions deserved. Maybe they thought she was old. Maybe they were upset that they didn't win and she was a convenient scapegoat. Who knows. But she deserved better.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

She's 35. Does Ms. O Really know that she's from Richland, Washington and was a Husky? I didn't.

I don't know. 1st or 2nd ugliest American in Rio counts for something, definitely 1st if you only count sports-related transgressions. Her own teammates were disowning her. I haven't followed it that closely, but I also believe it's for cumulative behavior. Plus, she did lose the Colombia game - I would have been shamed by that goal when I started playing in high school.

I can see a 6 month suspension, it just happens to probably be career-ending at her age, if even that. I suspect she has a path to redemption. I may have missed it, but I haven't heard that she's apologized to Sweden, her team and America yet.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Yes, she knows Solo is a fellow Husky. But she doesn't care. She disagrees with my opinion and thinks Hope Solo is a foul-tempered wench with anger issues and deserves to be booted. Could they not have levied a fine or something? Keep her on the team and sit her for a couple of games? Whatever, I think she was treated shabbily for all she's contributed to the team over the years.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

I don't know their options. Maybes:
Passive suspension is easier than aggressive penalties.
They think Sollo needs a break, at least, and reflection.
Worries over militant Swedes booing at every northern prairie game.
Corporate sponsor influence.

I wonder if she has a Vick-like recovery in her. Not that she was as bad, but it'll take effort on her part. Anger management rehab? It'll be nice if she finds her way back and then retires on a positive note.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

I think she was guilty of rudeness in poor sportsmanship. Pretty much the same to me as a cheap hit and taunting, except nobody got injured. The game was over, her bad behaviour cost the team nothing but some minor embarrassment. But still, I bet if they'd won and she saved the win with a stop in the last minute that she could have called the Swedes anything she wanted and all would be forgiven.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

We may disagree on "minor", especially on the biggest stage. Yeah, you can win and often be a jerk. It's harder to lose and get away with being a jerk.

I'm not quite as radical as Ms. O Really. I'm mostly disappointed in Solo and would have also been okay with alternate punishments.
1312. ETTD.

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Seth Milner »

Hope Solo has discovered what happens when you become a Hopeless Assho.
Her latter retort of "17 f***ing years, yada" didn't help her image either.
Entitlement --- a bitch of the times.
Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive

O Really
Admiral

Seth Milner wrote:Hope Solo has discovered what happens when you become a Hopeless Assho.
So what else would she have had to do in 17 years to be entitled to better treatment? Oh, yeah. Just stop that last goal. Anyway, there are many "Hopeless Assho's" in pro-level sports that don't get dumped.

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Seth Milner »

O Really wrote:
Seth Milner wrote:Hope Solo has discovered what happens when you become a Hopeless Assho.
So what else would she have had to do in 17 years to be entitled to better treatment? Oh, yeah. Just stop that last goal. Anyway, there are many "Hopeless Assho's" in pro-level sports that don't get dumped.
Never mind the fact that the Olympics are supposed to be the ultimate in global good will and sportsmanship.
Hope Solo merely exposed her "f**k 'em", entitled attitude so typical in American sports today; pro and semi-pro level.
Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:We may disagree on "minor", especially on the biggest stage. Yeah, you can win and often be a jerk. It's harder to lose and get away with being a jerk.

I'm not quite as radical as Ms. O Really. I'm mostly disappointed in Solo and would have also been okay with alternate punishments.
I'm not defending what she said. It was poor sportsmanship and unprofessional, and rude and all that. But the substance of what she said isn't any different from what UNC opponents said back in the day of "4 corners." Afraid to play...can't run with a good team...yada. Sure, she could have said something like, "Sweden is a good team, and I was disappointed that they chose a slow-down strategy that resulted in a championship game being decided by multiple free kicks, but a win is a win so congratulations are due." Or, she could have just stayed silent. Uh, right.

O Really
Admiral

Seth Milner wrote:
O Really wrote:
Never mind the fact that the Olympics are supposed to be the ultimate in global good will and sportsmanship.
Hope Solo merely exposed her "f**k 'em", entitled attitude so typical in American sports today; pro and semi-pro level.
Yeah, and fans love that attitude when they win, don't they Richard Sherman, Beast Mode, A-Rod, Neon Dion, et. al.? Not so much if they get old and lose.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Like it or not, it's different when one plays poorly, loses and does American-style trash talk in the Olympics while playing the world's most popular sport. If she had called an opposing US team "cowards", few would have noticed - maybe one local report on page C7, no national or international coverage, almost none of the locals even bothering to read the local article.

Also, all of your examples are men. For better or worse, we don't expect women to be crybaby jerks like men are.

On the positive side for us, in some nations she would have been ambushed and shot for the poor play alone.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Speaking of losing...I didn't ever work for the firm, but I knew a place where, if somebody lost a case everybody in the office piled dirty socks on their desk so they could "smell de feet" :lol:

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:... I can see a 6 month suspension, it just happens to probably be career-ending at her age, if even that. I suspect she has a path to redemption....
I guess not career-ending.

U.S. Soccer reinstates Hope Solo to roster ahead of Algarve Cup
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Ummm, that article was from February, 2015, when she was in minor trouble for something else.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

:lol: :oops:
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

oops, thought this was about Auburn
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:oops, thought this was about Auburn
Seems to fit.