Olympics

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Olympics

Unread post by Boatrocker »

Yeah, sure. Sure, it is. I don't really care if they send it directly to starving kids in Africa- extortion is extortion, for a "crime" that was never even reported to police (so I keep reading). This is Banana Republic BAU- reinforcing the so-called stereotype over which they are venting such faux outrage. That being said, the little shits should all be smacked.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Vrede too wrote:Simone Biles to Lead Team USA as Flag Bearer in 2016 Olympics Closing Ceremony

Cool, America led by a short black Catholic female SoCal student with a Hebrew first name whose parents are immigrants from Haiti and Belize.

Ouch, WASP men. Get used to it.
rstrong wrote:Or this idiot:
Seth Milner wrote:"...black Catholic... "

OMG!!! she's a ... a .... Christian!!! Quick! somebody call the FFRF; get them medals rescinded!!
Ummm, the point was that she's a non-Protestant Christian. Don't you know what "WASP" stands for? I could have left out that she's Christian at all, and there's nothing in my post even hinting at criticism for Simone Biles or her faith, crybaby. Seth Milner fails English, again.
Last edited by Vrede too on Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Boatrocker wrote:
Vrede too wrote:The $11,000 is going to charity, charges and trial would be extreme for what was just minor drunken vandalism that had already been paid for, public urination and an idiotic lie, and it seems like a fair price to me for the police hassle and unfair negative PR for Rio. If Jimmy Feigen didn't agree, he could have chosen charges and trial. Heck, for all we know it was his or his lawyer's idea to pay up.

Plus, the likely outcome was the same - "Police said Thursday that – if found guilty of providing false testimony – the swimmers would likely be required to pay a fine but would not face prison time."

Not everywhere is as prison-happy as the US and prosecution wouldn't have helped Rio's image any more than this outcome did.
... Feigen will reportedly donate 35,000 Reals to Reaction Institute, a non-governmental sporting program created by Olympic medalist Flavio Canto in 2003 that touts itself as an organization that uses judo to promote development and social inclusion....
Win-win. What's to gripe about? ...
Yeah, sure. Sure, it is. I don't really care if they send it directly to starving kids in Africa- extortion is extortion, for a "crime" that was never even reported to police (so I keep reading).

It was publicized, which led to police investigation and lies to the police and many others.

This is Banana Republic BAU- reinforcing the so-called stereotype over which they are venting such faux outrage.

That is Ugly American prejudice. The Brasilians have done nothing wrong, that's all on the Americans.

I may have made a correct guess with "Heck, for all we know it was his or his lawyer's idea to pay up." I've heard that the prosecutor is objecting that it should have been higher. I'm certain that the eventual fines, lawyer's fees, travel, etc. would have cost much more than $11,000, and that's not even counting the intangible cost to the swimmers and US reputation by prolonging this mess. When one screws up so royally there are costs and there should be. It doesn't make it "extortion". By your reasoning every legal settlement, which we probably have far more of in our non-"Banana Republic" is "extortion".

That being said, the little shits should all be smacked.

They've lost millions in endorsements and athletic sponsorships, which is fine by me. $11,000 is peanuts.
1312. ETTD.

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Vrede too wrote: . . . The Brasilians have done nothing wrong, that's all on the Americans . . . .
So sayeth the Brasilians, anyhoo.

Nope, sorry- I harbor no sympathy for Lochte or his idiot frat brothers, but the stench of faux outrage is heavy here, as well as the utter disregard for the irony inherent in taking a bribe while spewing said outrage. Make them pay for the damages at the gas station? Sure. $11000 worth of damages? Bullshit.
If it walks like extortion, quacks like extortion and has feathers like extortion . . . .
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Just so. It would be terrible to see the Olympics tainted by any connection to corruption.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

It's not "a bribe" if it's going to charity, "the damages at the gas station" were paid for that night, and the $11,000 is for "providing false testimony". What do you think illegally lying to the police would end up costing you here, especially if you had made an international incident out of it?
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:... They've lost millions in endorsements and athletic sponsorships, which is fine by me. $11,000 is peanuts.
Speedo USA Drops Sponsorship of Ryan Lochte Amid Scandal, Ralph Lauren to Not Renew Contract

Is that "extortion", too?
Last edited by Vrede too on Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Vrede too wrote:It's not "a bribe" if it's going to charity [...] and the $11,000 is for "providing false testimony".
Not unlike being ordered to do community service for a minor crime. Except that for someone visiting for a few days from another country the community service isn't practical, so the donation is a better alternative.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Plus, I'm not sure about Brasil but "providing false testimony" is not considered that minor a crime here, and sure wouldn't be if it embarrassed a major city and the nation.
1312. ETTD.

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Vrede too wrote:Plus, I'm not sure about Brasil but "providing false testimony" is not considered that minor a crime here, and sure wouldn't be if it embarrassed a major city and the nation.
. . . which, ironically, is not embarrassed by its appearance of extortion.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Vrede too wrote:It's not "a bribe" if it's going to charity, "the damages at the gas station" were paid for that night, and the $11,000 is for "providing false testimony". What do you think illegally lying to the police would end up costing you here, especially if you had made an international incident out of it?
HERE, it would involve a fucking trial and a fine, not a bribe, which is what this was. And it doesn't mater if it was solicited or offered, it is still a bribe until proven otherwise. And I'll not hold my breath on the "charity" business.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Vrede too wrote: . . . Is that "extortion", too?
Of course not. And you know it.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Got it, a corporation demanding "moral" representatives for millions of dollars is not "extortion", but a community getting $11,000 donated to charity by a lying drunk is. :crazy:

"bribe" is still just your Ugly American prejudice. Remember, this wasn't the prosecutor's doing and Feigen or his backers wrote the check to Reals to Reaction Institute, not to the government.

Why is it better to stretch the mess out over months costing the accused far more when conviction is certain? You're just expressing the courts-happy US view that shuns more rational solutions that are better for everyone involved. That thinking is the reason that we have so many well paid lawyer-vultures here.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Hope Solo Suspended By U.S. Soccer For Six Months Following Rio Comments

U.S. Soccer terminated goalkeeper Hope Solo's contract on Wednesday and suspended her from the Women's National Team for six months, in response to negative comments she made about the Swedish soccer team during the Rio Olympics....
Good.
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Every Olympic event should include one average person competing for reference. It would probably increase ratings too. Especially the Winter Olympics.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

That's why they let Canada compete. :P
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

American returning from the Winter Olympics don't have to worry about setting off the metal detectors. :thumbup:

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

:lol:

2014 Winter Olympics medal table

We won by 3, but your metal was better.
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

rstrong wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:07 am
Every Olympic event should include one average person competing for reference. It would probably increase ratings too. Especially the Winter Olympics.
A Canadian runner just set a 4:33:6 record for the beer mile down in San Francisco.

Why is THIS not an Olympic sport?

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Better than synchronized swimming or curling. But it would be more fun as a winter sport - run on an icy track or streets.

I seriously like the idea of one "regular" person competing in each event though. It wouldn't have to be some overweight doofus who'd never done the sport before. Just a typical HS/college level weekend athlete. It would be fun to see the difference.