College football

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: College football

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:14 pm
We could be a good team this year if names have anything to do with success, if not, there is still the cool name contest.

Major cool name losses include Bubba and Kerryon Johnson, but new faces Big Cat and Smoke Monday along with two 6’7” 300+lb O linemen - one named Prince and another titled as a honest for goodness Nigerian prince - Prince Tega Wanogho - should keep us in the running.

WDE beat that Boat
Report: President Trump signed an Alabama football and no one at the White House knows where it is

Comments:
As long as they haven't lost the Launch Code "Football" we're still good.
You sure about that?
Hopefully, they are hiding that from Donald's tiny hands and fingers.
I bought this on eBay weeks ago.
Worth nothing .. :)
Wait a day. The location will be leaked.
Pruitt has it in his office booth of quietude.
It’s probably right next to his tax returns.
He sold it. $130,000
Missing from White House: 1 Football, Tax Records and The Truth.
For billy.pilgrim:
Probably an auburn fan
WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Harvey Updyke better have a solid alibi
:D
Toomer's Trees poisoned

On January 27, 2011, a man calling himself "Al" and claiming to be from Dadeville, a town thirty minutes from Auburn, called into Paul Finebaum's sports talk radio show. "Al" admitted to poisoning the trees with an herbicide ...

Police traced the call to the home of Harvey Updyke Jr. of Dadeville. Updyke, a retired Texas state trooper, was taken into custody at 1:26 am CST on February 17, 2011 and charged with one count of criminal mischief, a class C felony in Alabama. On March 22, 2013, he received a 3-year split sentence, which includes 6 months incarceration and jail credit for time already served. Upon release, Updyke was sentenced to 5 years supervised probation with a 7 pm curfew. He is also prohibited from attending any collegiate sports event and banned from Auburn University property. The efforts made by the university to save the trees proved to be unsuccessful....
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Bet Donnie has it. Nah, that would be illegal.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

oh, and this, I'm beginning to favor allowing payments to college athletes, as long as every penny from sports apparel companies and others are fully disclosed.I

Something like:
A cap on school payments
And something to prevent a shoe company from picking which players sign with which team.

All above board or serious consequences.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

my son sent me this a couple of days ago. initially I didn't like it, but the more I think about it the more I like it.
I have always loved a defensive game and defensive scoring is a highpoint of any game. So, what about rewarding the defense by taking away a point from the offsense for punting?

the Auburn game cited in the tweets that would have been Auburn -4 and Starkvegas -8 for the Auburn win

actual result under current rules was Auburn 3 State 2

https://www.sbnation.com/college-footba ... 56/punting

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:56 pm
my son sent me this a couple of days ago. initially I didn't like it, but the more I think about it the more I like it.
I have always loved a defensive game and defensive scoring is a highpoint of any game. So, what about rewarding the defense by taking away a point from the offsense for punting?

the Auburn game cited in the tweets that would have been Auburn -4 and Starkvegas -8 for the Auburn win

actual result under current rules was Auburn 3 State 2

https://www.sbnation.com/college-footba ... 56/punting
Pretty radical, though I don't see anything wrong with it off the top of my head. A guess is that they'd never go for negative numbers. So, punting when you have no points is "free" and that game would have been a 0-0 tie. I wonder what it would do to spreads, would it really make for closer games or not?

Other monkeying around that I haven't thought through - Make FGs from within the 10 just 2 points and from outside the 50 yard line 4 points. In theory, this would make for more short yardage TD tries and for more long FG tries rather than punts.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

always the asshole urban may go down with this one

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb ... spartanntp

he's always been a cheat and a liar, from no punishment for car theft and dealing drugs to minor game suspensions for assault, not to mention proven that players get test answers beforehand

football would be better without him and his protégé - mullen.

he tries to put a player's eye out and poor boy gets suspended for the 1st half of a gimmie game
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/11/ ... 42401.html

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/college/ ... rs/2130398

"A roster on the university's website lists 121 players, 41 of whom were arrested — either in college or after, and sometimes both. That number included 16 players on that season's final two-deep roster, nine of whom were starters, as well as a kicker, punter and returner."

"After Hernandez's recent arrest, his time in Gainesville received renewed scrutiny, with reports that he ruptured a man's eardrum during the fight in 2007 and that he did not cooperate with the police after the shooting in 2007."
(the article doesn't mention that Tebow was present during the shooting but it was reported so at the time)

"It has all left some wondering just what the culture at Florida was at the time. Was this a program filled with players of questionable character, or a program now receiving unfair scrutiny because of a heinous act attributed to one of its former players?
Jenkins eventually left for North Alabama after Meyer's successor, Will Muschamp, dismissed him from the team following marijuana arrests. Several months later, Jenkins spoke to the Sentinel about his dismissal.
"If Coach Meyer were still coaching, I'd still be playing for the Gators," he was quoted as saying. "Coach Meyer knows what it takes to win."

I can't find the one I thought was the most damning. The player stole a car and when the repo lot pressed charges for breaking and entering and stealing the car he received so many death threats that he dropped the charges - urban said that since there were no charges, there was nothing he could do

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

always struck me as peculiar that urban and mullen made such a big fuss about Cam stealing a laptop and being given test answers while at Florida. Hell, mullen's evidence about Cam being a paid player came from his own assistants and boosters who complained only after Cam went to Auburn because it was closest to home and had the best offensive line in the country.

Cam was a kid in a candy store at Gainesville. Living with the juco coach and filling his free time made him the player who came to Auburn.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

depending how you count, there are 32 days until football

some would dispute my counting and say there are 25 days

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:23 pm

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb ... spartanntp ...
Ohio State places Urban Meyer on paid administrative leave

Probably covered up a coach's domestic violence. A guess - he'll never be back, anywhere. #MeToo

After FSU, AL and Clemson, my top school for this to happen to.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:28 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:

Probably covered up a coach's domestic violence. A guess - he'll never be back, anywhere. #MeToo

On going domestic violence, but as urban did with his players, if charges are dropped there is nothing to see. The shit beat his pregnant wife and was arrested - 9 years ago while he worked with urban.

From the Tampa paper article posted above

"Jenkins eventually left for North Alabama after Meyer's successor, Will Muschamp, dismissed him from the team following marijuana arrests. Several months later, Jenkins spoke to the Sentinel about his dismissal.
"If Coach Meyer were still coaching, I'd still be playing for the Gators," he was quoted as saying. "Coach Meyer knows what it takes to win."

More proof as to why urban took the wife beater to Ohio - Muschamp would have fired his sorry ass. As Jenkins said, "Coach Meyer knows what it takes to win."

Assault, drugs, guns, gouging eyes, grades,

He doesn't need to be around college students.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:59 am
On going domestic violence, but as urban did with his players, if charges are dropped there is nothing to see. The shit beat his pregnant wife and was arrested - 9 years ago while he worked with urban.

"Jenkins eventually left for North Alabama after Meyer's successor, Will Muschamp, dismissed him from the team following marijuana arrests. Several months later, Jenkins spoke to the Sentinel about his dismissal.

More proof as to why urban took the wife beater to Ohio - Muschamp would have fired his sorry ass. As Jenkins said, "Coach Meyer knows what it takes to win."

I might be completely wrong, but I think Meyer is done even if charges are dropped against Zach Smith.

It sounds like Jenkins was charged with resisting arrest (never convicted?) and "possession of under 20 grams of cannibis, a misdemeanor." No saying entirely what's up with the former and I can't hold theoretical laxity by Meyer on the latter against him. Cops sometimes should be resisted and pot should be legal.

Otoh:
Janoris Jenkins: Personal life

On June 1, 2009, Jenkins was arrested near a bar by Gainesville Police for fighting and resisting arrest after punching a man in the head around 2:00 a.m. Police were forced to use a taser on Jenkins after fighting escalated. When asked why the fight started, Jenkins told police it was because he thought someone was going to steal the gold chain around his neck.

On April 23, 2011, Jenkins was cited by a Gainesville police officer and charged with misdemeanor marijuana possession. He was cited for the same violation in January 2011, and paid a $316 fine. He was arrested in May 2009 during a downtown Gainesville fight that resulted in probation and community service. On April 26, 2011, he was dismissed by the Florida Gators football team, due to his second drug related arrest in three months.

On June 26, 2018, a dead body was found in the basement of Jenkins' New Jersey home, identified as a family friend who had been living at the house. Jenkins' brother was identified as a person of interest....
Whether or not he's "bad", he sure sounds sloppy. I like this:
Former Florida cornerback Janoris Jenkins resolves marijuana charge

Gainesville State Attorney Bill Cervone said ... "If he can't figure out that smoking pot is illegal maybe he can at least learn to be more circumspect about it.''

He's been in the NFL since 2012. "On March 9, 2016, Jenkins signed a five-year, $62.5 million contract with the New York Giants." He came soooo close to blowing that.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:40 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:59 am

I might be completely wrong, but I think Meyer is done even if charges are dropped against Zach Smith.

It sounds like Jenkins was charged with resisting arrest (never convicted?) and "possession of under 20 grams of cannibis, a misdemeanor." No saying entirely what's up with the former and I can't hold theoretical laxity by Meyer on the latter against him. Cops sometimes should be resisted and pot should be legal.

Otoh:
Janoris Jenkins: Personal life

On June 1, 2009, Jenkins was arrested near a bar by Gainesville Police for fighting and resisting arrest after punching a man in the head around 2:00 a.m. Police were forced to use a taser on Jenkins after fighting escalated. When asked why the fight started, Jenkins told police it was because he thought someone was going to steal the gold chain around his neck.

On April 23, 2011, Jenkins was cited by a Gainesville police officer and charged with misdemeanor marijuana possession. He was cited for the same violation in January 2011, and paid a $316 fine. He was arrested in May 2009 during a downtown Gainesville fight that resulted in probation and community service. On April 26, 2011, he was dismissed by the Florida Gators football team, due to his second drug related arrest in three months.

On June 26, 2018, a dead body was found in the basement of Jenkins' New Jersey home, identified as a family friend who had been living at the house. Jenkins' brother was identified as a person of interest....
Whether or not he's "bad", he sure sounds sloppy. I like this:
Former Florida cornerback Janoris Jenkins resolves marijuana charge

Gainesville State Attorney Bill Cervone said ... "If he can't figure out that smoking pot is illegal maybe he can at least learn to be more circumspect about it.''

He's been in the NFL since 2012. "On March 9, 2016, Jenkins signed a five-year, $62.5 million contract with the New York Giants." He came soooo close to blowing that.
I meant that jenkins' comment described a coach who would do anything to win.

nice fact - urban lost every time he played Aururn

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:05 pm
I meant that jenkins' comment described a coach who would do anything to win.

nice fact - urban lost every time he played Auburn
Congrats.

I got that and I'm sure you're correct - like cover up DV. I'm just speculating that in Jenkins case it MAY have been correct to do "what it takes to win." Then again:

Florida Gators football 2011: 7–6 (3–5 SEC, East 3rd), beat Ohio St. in the Gator Bowl. 2010 8–5 (4–4 SEC, East 2nd), beat Penn St. in the Outback Bowl.
University of North Alabama football 2011: 9-3, Gulf South Conference 2nd, won the First Round Division II Playoffs, lost the Second Round, nearly the same as 2010.

The transfer didn't seem to make much difference.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Dan seem to be returning the urban style to Gainesville and the police agree it's all about winning

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... iggle-room

"Florida receiver Kadarius Toney was found with a loaded AR-15 rifle in the back seat of his car during a traffic stop last week. Gainesville police did not cite Toney because the weapon was not concealed and was not "on or about" him, which would have violated the state's open-carry law.

Toney told officers he needed the weapon for protection from locals because "they be coming after us." Police said the weapon is his."

After admitting that he carries a loaded assault weapon around campus and town in case he needs to spray bullets at the "they", the cops let him go by a bs reading of the law.

Gators are back in form

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:51 pm
Dan seem to be returning the urban style to Gainesville and the police agree it's all about winning....
What a mush mouth "explanation" of a non-policy! It's not like Kadarius Toney is even that key a player.
After admitting that he carries a loaded assault weapon around campus and town in case he needs to spray bullets at the "they", the cops let him go by a bs reading of the law.
Is that on the cops or is the law bs?

Alabama begins season as overwhelming No. 1 in coaches poll

1 Alabama (61)
2 Clemson (3)
3 Ohio State (1)
4 Georgia
5 Oklahoma
6 Washington
7 Wisconsin
8 Miami
9 Penn State
10 Auburn

Ugh, can't stand the top 5. Go Huskies/Badgers/'Canes.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:21 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:51 pm
Dan seem to be returning the urban style to Gainesville and the police agree it's all about winning....
What a mush mouth "explanation" of a non-policy! It's not like Kadarius Toney is even that key a player.
Is that on the cops or is the law bs?

Alabama begins season as overwhelming No. 1 in coaches poll

1 Alabama (61)
2 Clemson (3)
3 Ohio State (1)
4 Georgia
5 Oklahoma
6 Washington
7 Wisconsin
8 Miami
9 Penn State
10 Auburn

6 and 10 play on 9.1

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:12 am
Vrede too wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:21 am
1 Alabama (61)
2 Clemson (3)
3 Ohio State (1)
4 Georgia
5 Oklahoma
6 Washington
7 Wisconsin
8 Miami
9 Penn State
10 Auburn

6 and 10 play on 9.1
Wow, a real game scheduled early by top teams. What's the world coming to? In theory, this game could put the winner into the championship game, though it probably doesn't knock the loser out.

Auburn is favored by 3, the home field advantage. Wanna bet? I'll give you straight up, $25 or more to the winner's selected charity, loser can reject charities until an agreeable one is proposed, honor system.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:52 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:

Urban Meyer admits he knew about abuse allegations against ex-WR coach in 2015
And, he also knew about the 2009 attack on the pregnant wife, but as urban always said - what could i do, the charges were dropped?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:28 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:

Opps.

Urban Meyer given 3-game suspension, will return as Ohio State football coach

The horror. :roll:

Comments:
Actually I’m a little surprised it just wasn’t for the first half of spring practice game.
Wouldn't be surprised if Meyer is coaching the first 3 games via a headset.
He won’t be suspended for Penn State, Michigan State or Michigan
:D True. Oregon St., Rutgers, TCU, then a warmup game for him vs. Tulane before Penn State on 9/29.
It took 12 hours for that?
Did anyone actually think OSU's priorities would be anything but winning football games?
1312. ETTD.