College football

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: College football

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:38 am
... Fitting that the UCF coach bailed with his entire staff. Hope his next group of players realize his mis-understanding of loyalty.
Why wouldn't any non-Power 5 coach leap at the money and (theoretical, it's Neb.) chance to get a national championship?
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:42 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:38 am
... Fitting that the UCF coach bailed with his entire staff. Hope his next group of players realize his mis-understanding of loyalty.
Why wouldn't any non-Power 5 coach leap at the money and (theoretical, it's Neb.) chance to get a national championship?
Of course he would jump from a 2nd rate team, but personally, I just don't like the way he acts like he did something - same as I didn't like the blue field Boise guy and his claim for #1.

Auburn could have beat any team in the country before the Alabama game, after that game we couldn't even beat uga. There is the whole argument against crediting a team with a weak schedule as have done something when they go undefeated.
Depth to finish the season in a tough conference.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:42 pm
Hey, I made Auburn #2. Still bitter? :P
Guess so. ;)

I was really trying to trigger Boatrocker by saying that UCF and Auburn were both better than AL.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:21 am
Vrede too wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:42 pm
Hey, I made Auburn #2. Still bitter? :P
Guess so. ;)

I was really trying to trigger Boatrocker by saying that UCF and Auburn were both better than AL.

Not bitter about ucf, just unmoved in my opinion of these wannabe teams, like Boise that won't play a schedule and then clamour they are #1, don't deserve to be in the discussion until they play a schedule.

As to Boat, his team could have beat any team in the country by new year's day - including the beat up injured Auburn team, but I still believe that in a four team playoff system that you have to win your conference.

Auburn didn't have the depth, or the luck to stay healthy.

Same thing happened to us last night in b-ball. We lost our top scorer early in the game and that along with losing two top starters in the payoff scandal probably led to our one point loss against the ATMs.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

" his mother, seated to his right wearing an Alabama sweatshirt and a Tennessee hat, stormed away"

She seems conflicted and not too bright anyway. Why would anyone pick Tenn?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:29 pm
... Why would anyone pick Tenn?
Actual seasons? :P

Other TN & AL gear on the surrounding family. Maybe it was all a setup?
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:04 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Actual seasons? :P
Multiplicity of seasons is overrated. Some places do well with just two or so. In Florida, there's "summer" and "not-summer." In Montana, you have "winter" and "road construction." But in Gainesville where this guy is off to, there is beer season year round.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Hills higher than 345 (FL) and 2,407 (AL) feet? Dislike for Roy Moore and Rick Scott? Dollywood? ;)
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

I don't know if this guy is a top NFL prospect or not, but I'm guessing if he got offers from AL, FL, and TN, he probably had others too. If I could objectively believe I had a good chance at the NFL, I'd probably pick one of the football factories to maximize my chances. But if I were just a decent 'developable" college level player, I'd go somewhere that I could maybe also get an education, have some fun, and start 12 times a year instead of sitting on Alabama's bench for two years before getting to play. That may or may not describe TN, but in any case, he's now a Gator.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unless things have changed since urban he'll get decent grades with the questions and answers supplied up front.
Hope things are changed there now. I think Spurrier straightened things out a lot after Pell's best paid team in college football, before the urban reversion.

I never understood how urban could get so outraged - that Cam had cheat sheets to pass tests at Florida - two years after he left Florida.

That whole mess was weird - from urban exposing Cam for his bs childishness while at Florida

to Mullen turning him for things his father did with Mississippi State coaches

to fuckhead lil Nikki playing Take the Money and Run before getting his ass kicked at the iron bowl.

And all as loose with the truth as uranium one.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

I don't know if being a 1 or 2 year starter for an AL is better for the NFL draft than being a 3 or 4 starter for a TN. I would guess that talent is most important, with there being a slight advantage to having a more winning record. Randy Moss went to then 1-AA Marshall. He was the first round, 21st overall draft pick and would have gone higher if not for a high school fight then testing positive for pot, pot!, at FSU.

Florida and Tennessee both had sucky years, but Tennessee was worse.

All else equal, winning is more fun.

This academic ranking of schools, not necessarily the best one, puts Florida at #42, Tennessee at #103 and Alabama at #110.

I would shun the SEC on principle. ;)

Both natural and urban geography were big factors in my cross-country college choice. I'd hand that win to Tennessee among these 3 choices.

The more I think about it, the more I think it was a prank.
Why would he pick a school that none of his family supported?
Why would none of his family support staying in-state?
Why would he let his entire family be embarrassed by publicly backing the wrong horse?
Why would Mom be supporting both AL & TN?
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:02 pm
I don't know if being a 1 or 2 year starter for an AL is better for the NFL draft than being a 3 or 4 starter for a TN. I would guess that talent is most important, with there being a slight advantage to having a more winning record.

Cam Newton started - what - 10 college games before he went to the NFL? But clearly he was not an average college talent, and Auburn did win the championship. Same standards probably don't apply to most players signing their commitment letters.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

From this week's News of the Weird:
Washington State University senior Logan Tago, a football linebacker, received WSU's Center for Civic Engagement Fall 2017 Community Involvement award on Feb. 1 for 240 hours of service to the local community, reported the WSU Daily Evergreen -- service he was ordered to give as a stipulation of his sentencing in January 2017 for third-degree assault. In June 2016, The Seattle Times reported, Tago allegedly hit a man with a six-pack of beer and later agreed to a plea deal that called for 30 days in the Whitman County jail, $800 in fines -- and exactly 240 hours of community service. Tago managed to play the final two games of the 2016 season and in all of 2017's 13 games, despite a WSU athletic department policy that prohibits players who are facing a felony charge from playing. [The Daily Evergreen, 2/3/2018]
Jocks may still act like jocks, and can expect to be treated like jocks.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

We could be a good team this year if names have anything to do with success, if not, there is still the cool name contest.

Major cool name losses include Bubba and Kerryon Johnson, but new faces Big Cat and Smoke Monday along with two 6’7” 300+lb O linemen - one named Prince and another titled as a honest for goodness Nigerian prince - Prince Tega Wanogho - should keep us in the running.

WDE beat that Boat

O Really
Admiral

"Nigerian prince" - seriously? When/if he shows up, s/he'll probably be 4'6" and 50 years old. :lol: Did he ask to have his scholarship money deposited into a Cayman account?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:03 pm
"Nigerian prince" - seriously? When/if he shows up, s/he'll probably be 4'6" and 50 years old. :lol: Did he ask to have his scholarship money deposited into a Cayman account?
:lol: Your question will be answered, but you must send him a refundable $495 first.
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:14 pm
We could be a good team this year if names have anything to do with success, if not, there is still the cool name contest.

Major cool name losses include Bubba and Kerryon Johnson, but new faces Big Cat and Smoke Monday along with two 6’7” 300+lb O linemen - one named Prince and another titled as a honest for goodness Nigerian prince - Prince Tega Wanogho - should keep us in the running.

WDE beat that Boat
He Wanogho pancake defenders.

"Boat"?
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

rocker

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:11 pm
rocker
Doh! :oops:
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:03 pm
He has already done his Coming to America. He came to Montgomery (10th grade, I think) to be a NBA star. A flabbergasted high school coach introduced him to football.