billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: College football

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

O Really wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:35 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:23 am

Maybe we should just do away with grade requirements, ...
Seems we may have, generally. (old article, but still...) https://www.usnews.com/education/blogs/ ... sat-scores
I received special consideration because my parents were alumni

SAT is for admissions and is not a grade.
Their work and skill at football and their schoolwork to maintain passing grades got them a special admission.
Their continued passing grades and skill on the field kept them on the team
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Being in the BCS does not equal educational excellence. I fail to see how an extra game or two for some schools some years is going to hurt academics when it doesn't in the FCS.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:55 am

Their work and skill at football and their schoolwork to maintain passing grades got them a special admission.
Yeah, I know. But in a cursory search I couldn't find a comparison of graduation rates or GPA's. But still, for every Russell Wilson who actually graduates on time or early and can play on in grad school, there's some who take a light schedule of easy courses and never make it to graduation from the "major" school - if ever. For those good enough to play NFL, it works out. For others, not so much. But in any case, they're no worse off than any other guy who spends more time partying than studying and flunks out.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:25 am
Being in the BCS does not equal educational excellence. I fail to see how an extra game or two for some schools some years is going to hurt academics when it doesn't in the FCS.

I never said it did, but the fact remains that a good many prospects who can't get into Auburn because of grades go on to Southern, Grambling and Florida A&M before going to the nfl

there must be a difference in standards
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:27 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:55 am

Yeah, I know. But in a cursory search I couldn't find a comparison of graduation rates or GPA's. But still, for every Russell Wilson who actually graduates on time or early and can play on in grad school, there's some who take a light schedule of easy courses and never make it to graduation from the "major" school - if ever. For those good enough to play NFL, it works out. For others, not so much. But in any case, they're no worse off than any other guy who spends more time partying than studying and flunks out.
I don't keep up much with other schools, but have always heard that AU does a good job of graduating athletes. I don’t have a problem with a guy making millions after leaving for the nfl as a junior never making it back for his degree, but it’s always good to see successful athlete millionaires like Bo and Cam come back in their off season time to graduate.

Probably doesn’t happen as often at FAMU.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Why would the school affect whether an NFL player ever completes his degree?
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:31 pm
Vrede too wrote:
I never said it did, but the fact remains that a good many prospects who can't get into Auburn because of grades go on to Southern, Grambling and Florida A&M before going to the nfl

That speaks to those schools, not BCS vs. FCS. I wouldn't make the case that prospects who can't get into Harvard or Yale because of grades go on to Auburn means that the FCS has higher standards. You haven't made the case that playoffs will somehow devastate BCS academics. I agree with O Really, it's about $$$ for the schools and conferences, not about the student players' education.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:50 pm
Why would the school affect whether an NFL player ever completes his degree?
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:31 pm
Vrede too wrote:

That speaks to those schools, not BCS vs. FCS. I wouldn't make the case that prospects who can't get into Harvard or Yale because of grades go on to Auburn means that the FCS has higher standards. You haven't made the case that playoffs will somehow devastate BCS academics. I agree with O Really, it's about $$$ for the schools and conferences, not about the student players' education.

I fail to see how more games equates with less money.

I have no idea why Harvard or Yale do what they do, but it is a fact that students who can't get into Auburn go to Southern or some such school if they don't want to go the juco route to improve their grades

don't twist this into something it ain't

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:01 pm
I fail to see how more games equates with less money.

It's fewer games. A 24-team playoff like the FCS has is 23 games. One would have to go to a 41-team playoff - unlikely - to equal the current 40 Bowls. Or, it would be the same number of games if there were playoffs plus Bowls for the losers and teams that were left out of the playoffs.

I have no idea why Harvard or Yale do what they do, but it is a fact that students who can't get into Auburn go to Southern or some such school if they don't want to go the juco route to improve their grades

Not disputing you, but you made the case that this was a BCS vs. FCS thing. Strong teams can be pickier for a host of reasons.

don't twist this into something it ain't

I'm just trying to get you to explain why the BCS needs Bowls for academic reasons when the FCS does fine academically with playoffs. So far, I haven't seen it.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
but it is a fact that students who can't get into Auburn go to Southern or some such school if they don't want to go the juco route to improve their grades
So according to 2018 "Best Colleges" list, Auburn is about the same level as Appalachian State (low 200's) Bammer is actually above Auburn (mid 100's), which I found surprising. UNC is #47. Guess who go caught letting jocks take easy classes.

It's a fun link, in any case... http://www.collegesimply.com/colleges/

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:12 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
but it is a fact that students who can't get into Auburn go to Southern or some such school if they don't want to go the juco route to improve their grades
So according to 2018 "Best Colleges" list, Auburn is about the same level as Appalachian State (low 200's) Bammer is actually above Auburn (mid 100's), which I found surprising. UNC is #47. Guess who go caught letting jocks take easy classes.

It's a fun link, in any case... http://www.collegesimply.com/colleges/
So, who got caught
And when

The link goes to a list of colleges by state

And where does Southern fit in

O Really
Admiral

UNC got caught - three-four years ago, and just concluded the ummm, "investigation" last year.

You click a state, it give you a list of all the schools in the state. Click the school for details.

Southern what?

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:03 pm
UNC got caught - three-four years ago, and just concluded the ummm, "investigation" last year.

You click a state, it give you a list of all the schools in the state. Click the school for details.

Southern what?
Just an FCS school. I believe it was Southern and Grambling that until recently held the record for the most players to the NFL

Academically doesn't hang with Harvard and Yale, but a decent enough place to go if you are unable to get into an sec school and want to play football.

#1334.
http://www.collegesimply.com/colleges/l ... m-college/

Grambling cracked the thousand mark at #999

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

I think billy.pilgrim told us that an Auburn assistant coach got busted in the Summer/Fall 2017 cheating scandal that saw Pitino and others ousted at Louisville.
1312. ETTD.

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Boatrocker »

IS it too late to throw in a "ROLL TIDE!"?
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Boatrocker wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:47 pm

Go ahead, y'all did give us one of our only two basketball losses.

I forget, is it the SGA that will give us the trophy when y'all play at Auburn?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Boatrocker wrote:
For what? :D
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:27 pm
Boatrocker wrote:

13-0! UCF > Auburn > AL > GA = UCF is the real #1, Q.E.D.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:05 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:27 pm
Boatrocker wrote:

13-0! UCF > Auburn > AL > GA = UCF is the real #1, Q.E.D.
Sure, and look for trump telling the truth before UCF plays a real schedule.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Hey, I made Auburn #2. Still bitter? :P
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:42 pm
Hey, I made Auburn #2. Still bitter? :P
But we weren't #2 at the end of the season. Sure, we beat up on uga and even beat bammer, but we just didn't have the depth to complete the season. Unlike the pros, college football's top teams depend on 2 - 4 standout players backed by a good solid team with a lot of depth. Without injuries, a team like that can go all the way to a championship. We lost 3 of our 4 key players beating bammer (as seen in our loss to uga in the championship) and still should have beat wannabes ucf and their big 10 refs.

Fitting that the UCF coach bailed with his entire staff. Hope his next group of players realize his mis-understanding of loyalty.