Vrede too wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:37 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:21 am
Go (AP rankings used):

LA Monroe +37 @ #6 Auburn.
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:29 am
No way Auburn runs up the score by 37. Unless our bench can't help it.
WDE better worry about winning, only up by 7 at the half.

don't think winning was ever a problem. seems we have allowed the other team to score on their first drive most of the season. if staying healthy was our objective, we failed.

Sure wish we had Bubba for next week.

great to see our freshman qb break for a long run.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: College football

Unread post by Vrede too »

Vrede too wrote:
Go (AP rankings used):

#2 Miami (FL) -19 vs Virginia.
Coulda lost, scored 30 unanswered, whew, missed the spread by 3, darn.

#5 Wisconsin -7.5 vs #19 Michigan. The only game between 2 ranked opponents. :roll:
Go 11-0 Badgers! With PSC #2 10-1 Clemson playing an FCS team, Wisconsin really should take its spot.

#1 Alabama and #4 Clemson are both offline since they're playing FCS teams, so I have to pick them. :roll:
Yep. The FCS teams scored 3 points together.

LA Monroe +37 @ #6 Auburn.
Yep. Good for me, congrats to you.

Texas Tech +7 vs #11 TCU.
Nope.

I went with #24 West Virginia -3.5 vs Texas.
Bad idea, coulda used your help.
PSC #15 UCF is now 10-0 and it crushed the 14 point spread vs. Temple, cool.

I start off 4-3 in online games, am tied with 7 others 1 point out of the lead.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:27 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:43 am
Illinois +41 @ #8 Ohio St.
Oklahoma may run up the score. Urban will if he can....
Is it running up the score if Ohio St. beats the spread in the 1st half? 7 minutes left in the 2nd quarter, 38-0. :roll:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Go (AP rankings used):

Maryland +17 @ #22 Michigan St. No Bowl if 4-6 Maryland loses this game and vs PSU the next week.
Loses but beats the spread by 6, woo-hoo.
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Vrede too wrote:
I'm also betting on:

Kansas +36.5 vs #3 Oklahoma.
Ouch, KS missed the spread by 1.5. Oklahoma did score 13 unanswered in the 4th.
:lol: IL beat the spread by 3 after almost losing it in the first half.

OK St came back from 42-13 late in the 3rd, feel short to KS St 45-40, big upset, bye-bye top 10 or 13.

I’m glad that Notre Dame won a good game, too bad about the 17.5 point spread.

5 games left and I can still take solo 2nd.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Go (AP rankings used):

#25 N.C. State +1.5 @ Wake Forest.
AAARRRGGGHHH, N.C. State had the winning TD with 2 minutes left, fumbled trying to reach the ball across, Wake Forest wins by 6, AAARRRGGGHHH.

But wait, N.C. State forces a punt, drives . . . never mind, throws an INT. Probably doesn’t affect the money, only 2 of the 17 of us picked Wake.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

All of the top AP top 9, PSC top 12 win, one announcer called it “Cupcake Saturday”.

UCLA lost, darn it, but shredded the spread, yippee.
Vrede too wrote:
Go (AP rankings used):

#16 Washington -17.5 vs Utah.
If WA beats the spread, I take solo 2nd. If UT does, 4! others share 2nd. Funny how that worked out. Halftime with WA only up by 3, bedtime for me, I'll have to see what happened in the morning.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Good on the Huskies for pulling off what must have been an amazing comeback win to watch, shame about the spread. Utah’s Tyler Huntley had a QB rating of 178.6, WA’s Jake Browning 178.1! The last 3 games had spreads of 16 points or higher. They were won by a total of 11 points. I finish 11-9 in online games, no money.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:05 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Vrede too wrote:
Is it running up the score if Ohio St. beats the spread in the 1st half? 7 minutes left in the 2nd quarter, 38-0. :roll:
not the way I see it. It's more what you do after that.

I didn't watch the game, but saw that bama was up 30 something to nothing early in the 2nd quarter. The score I saw at halftime was the same. I don't know, by my guess is that Saban started playing the bench. Maybe Urban did too, maybe there is no longer a reason to run up the score and it was all the fault of the BCS using blowouts to enhance computer rankings, I didn't see either game. While some of Saban's tactics have seemed questionable, he has to be respected overall. I have never respected urban. to me he epitomizes the "enabler coach" willing to accept anything and break whatever rules necessary to win.

running up the score isn't black and white. wiki says that GT ran up the score on Cumberland, but how can you say that they ran up the score in a game where there were no first downs by either team. There's a book (and almost a Martin Sheen movie based on the book) about the game - the title, You Dropped It, You Pick It Up, describes Cumberland's role in the 220 - 0 loss.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:13 am
Vrede too wrote:
not the way I see it. It's more what you do after that....
I agree. I was mocking what was then looking like my lousy selection. Funny that IL ended up beating the spread. Ohio St.must have backed off, OK not so much. AL scored 3 TDs in the 2nd half, one barely into the 4th quarter, and Clemson scored 3 TDs in the 3rd quarter, but just a FG in the 4th. However, it must be hard to not score against weak FCS teams. Auburn got a late offensive TD, too. I didn't watch enough of any of these games to say for sure whether any of them could help it.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:22 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:13 am
Vrede too wrote:
not the way I see it. It's more what you do after that....
I agree. I was mocking what was then looking like my lousy selection. Funny that IL ended up beating the spread. Ohio St.must have backed off, OK not so much. AL scored 3 TDs in the 2nd half, one barely into the 4th quarter, and Clemson scored 3 TDs in the 3rd quarter, but just a FG in the 4th. However, it must be hard to not score against weak FCS teams. Auburn got a late offensive TD, too. I didn't watch enough of any of these games to say for sure whether any of them could help it.
AU's late TD was set up by a very long run by freshman QB to the goal line. I didn't watch the other games - no way not to score, but good to hear about urban.

next week, look for Gus and/or Saban to try to embarrass the other team. Let's hope there won't be any game related shootings this year.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

oops, I just saw this from a few days ago. the trend still supports that bammers tend to shoot AU fans more often

http://www.fox10tv.com/story/36872274/i ... bile-judge

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

The only thing that will stop a bad Alabama fan with a gun is a good Auburn fan with a gun. Are they really thinking about renaming it the 'Lead Bowl'?
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:46 am
... next week, look for Gus and/or Saban to try to embarrass the other team. Let's hope there won't be any game related shootings this year.
They're not only playing to get into the conference championship but also for the best playoffs seeding.

This was well done, the entire USC team faked that the punt had gone left. Only the UCLA kicker knew different.

WATCH: USC tricks UCLA to score on 72-yard punt return

I wonder if they were going to do the reverse if the kick had gone left, or if they just made a lucky guess.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Rankings
position, team, record, votes, 1st place votes

AP

1 Alabama (11-0) 1522 (58)
2 Miami (FL) (10-0) 1433 (3)
3 Oklahoma (10-1) 1370
4 Clemson (10-1) 1355
5 Wisconsin (11-0) 1328
6 Auburn (9-2) 1203
13 UCF (10-0) 833

Coaches

1 Alabama (11-0) 1600 (64)
2 Miami (FL) (10-0) 1492
3 Clemson (10-1) 1429
4 Wisconsin (11-0) 1414
5 Oklahoma (10-1) 1408
6 Auburn (9-2) 1271
12 UCF (10-0) 915

PSC due late Tuesday. I would put Wisconsin and Oklahoma in the top 4, not Clemson, but the votes for the 3 are pretty darn close.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:38 pm
Rankings
position, team, record, votes, 1st place votes

AP

1 Alabama (11-0) 1522 (58)
2 Miami (FL) (10-0) 1433 (3)
3 Oklahoma (10-1) 1370
4 Clemson (10-1) 1355
5 Wisconsin (11-0) 1328
6 Auburn (9-2) 1203
13 UCF (10-0) 833

Coaches

1 Alabama (11-0) 1600 (64)
2 Miami (FL) (10-0) 1492
3 Clemson (10-1) 1429
4 Wisconsin (11-0) 1414
5 Oklahoma (10-1) 1408
6 Auburn (9-2) 1271
12 UCF (10-0) 915

PSC due late Tuesday. I would put Wisconsin and Oklahoma in the top 4, not Clemson, but the votes for the 3 are pretty darn close.
I know it's crying over spilled milk, but even with our rusty qb Clemson would have two losses if our best back had been able to play.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/pl ... son-1.html

Still don't understand why he isn't higher in the heisman race.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:06 am
I know it's crying over spilled milk, but even with our rusty qb Clemson would have two losses if our best back had been able to play.

Y'all have recovered nicely. Win out and you're in. Don't win out and you probably wouldn't have been in regardless of the Clemson game.

I haven't been following the Heisman race. Just guessing, but looking at the stats:

16th in team rushing yards.

Kerryon Johnson has a solid 1172 yards, 5.3 yards per carry avg., 16 TDs and 130.2 yards per game, but he only gets about 1/2 the carries.

Aside: Once he goes pro, 'Kerryon Luggage' will be a natural promotional opportunity.

Sounds like Auburn is winning with a balanced attack, not so good for Heismans. Of course, this could all change with wins over AL and GA.

The first site I googled is ESPN's Heisman Watch. Among the RBs, it looks like at least Bryce Love, Stanford and Jonathan Taylor, Wisconsin have better stats. Then, last year's winner, Louisville QB Lamar Jackson, also has better rushing stats than Kerryon Johnson.

I didn't know this:
Selection

There are three categories of persons eligible to vote for the award winner:

Sports journalists: Heisman.com states that sports journalists are to be the determinants of the award since they are "informed, competent, and impartial." There are 870 media voters: 145 voters from each of six regions.

Previous Heisman winners (and in cases where an underclassman wins the award and remains in school to play, a prior winner may also be a current candidate). According to Heisman.com there are currently 57 prior winners eligible to vote and, thus, 57 potential votes (a prior winner is not required to vote and does not lose his voting privileges by not voting).

Fans: As the Premier Partner of the Heisman Trophy, Nissan has a vote and gives this to the fans. Fan voting done through a survey collected by ESPN on NissanHeismanHouse.com. This constitutes one Heisman vote.
All the fans put together get just 1 vote out of 928 cast. Why do fans even bother voting?
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:41 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:06 am

Y'all have recovered nicely. Win out and you're in. Don't win out and you probably wouldn't have been in regardless of the Clemson game.

I haven't been following the Heisman race. Just guessing, but looking at the stats:

16th in team rushing yards.

Kerryon Johnson has a solid 1172 yards, 5.3 yards per carry avg., 16 TDs and 130.2 yards per game, but he only gets about 1/2 the carries.

Aside: Once he goes pro, 'Kerryon Luggage' will be a natural promotional opportunity.

Sounds like Auburn is winning with a balanced attack, not so good for Heismans. Of course, this could all change with wins over AL and GA.

The first site I googled is ESPN's Heisman Watch. Among the RBs, it looks like at least Bryce Love, Stanford and Jonathan Taylor, Wisconsin have better stats. Then, last year's winner, Louisville QB Lamar Jackson, also has better rushing stats than Kerryon Johnson.
Not that it changes the overall stats and as you said, the NFL contract will reflect

He was hurt in game 1 and didn't play in game 2, or 3.

His numbers look better if you don't include the 2 games where he didn't play. Bet he gets 3 extremely partisan Heisman votes.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Another "Cupcake" weekend, only 4 games out of 19 with spreads less than 10, only 4 games between ranked opponents.

Go (AP rankings):

Undefeated #2 Miami (FL) -13.5 @ Pittsburgh.
Undefeated #13 UCF -10 vs #22 South Florida.
Georgia Tech +11 vs #7 Georgia.
Michigan +12 vs #8 Ohio St.
Maryland +22 :roll: vs #12 Penn St. Go Terps, lose to PSU by 21.5 or less! Sigh.
Undefeated #5 Wisconsin -17 @ Minnesota.
#6 Auburn + 4.5 vs undefeated #1 Alabama.
South Carolina +14 vs #4 Clemson.
#20 Stanford +2 vs 9-2 #9 Notre Dame. Last game for Notre Dame, I'm assuming that without a conference championship it has no path to the playoffs.
9-2 #15 Washington -10 vs 9-2 #14 Washington St.

I'm not sure about:
Virginia +7.5 vs #24 Virginia Tech.
East Carolina +28.5 @ #17 Memphis.
#25 Boise St. -7.5 @ Fresno St.
#23 Northwestern -16.5 @ Illinois.
Advice?

I was going to whine about PSC #3 Clemson (6 shaky games and an FCS win in its last 7) and undefeated #5 Wisconsin, but it will be that much sweeter when Miami beats Clemson in the ACC championship and PSC #5 Wisconsin gets in by winning the Big 10 over Ohio St.

Best of all worlds:
Georgia Tech humiliates Georgia.
Auburn humiliates Alabama.
Georgia beats Auburn in an ugly game.
SEC shut out of the playoffs. But, one of the SEC teams (which?) would probably still limp in.
Is there a really crazy scenario where the Big 12 gets shut out of the playoffs and the Huskies sneak in by finishing strong with wins over Washington State and then USC in the Pac 12 championship? I doubt it, but I can dream.

Thanks to a $15 sidebet on WA-UCLA earlier in the season, I am 60 cents ahead of my little brother at $35 in the hole with 2 weeks left to go. I'm also just 4 points away from worst record for the season.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Out of principle only - never bet on a schlock team with a blue field

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:40 pm
Out of principle only - never bet on a schlock team with a blue field
Thanks. Go:

Fresno St. +7.5 vs. #25 Boise St.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Miami has been losing in 4 games at the half and have won all 4. They've got Pitt right where they want them.

Is it true that it's called 'The U' because alums can't spell 'Miami' or 'Hurricanes'? ;)
1312. ETTD.