College football

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: College football

Unread post by Vrede too »

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:23 pm
@#24 Iowa St -42.5 vs Drake. I hate picking these games. When does the dominator back off? Advice?
LOL! FCS Drake could have tied or won with their drive in the last 4 minutes, and I would have still been wrong if the spread was only 4.
#9 Texas +7.5 +8 vs @#5 Oklahoma. Go Knights!
Crap, I didn't even win the spread. UCF is out of the playoffs, and I think OH St is too.
I'm 1-2, 3 are 3-0, 2 are 0-3. With 5 games still left I can’t catch one leader, and can only tie the other 2 for 2nd. :(
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
@#7 UCF -3 vs Memphis. Still favored. Go Knights!
Great tributes for recovering UCF quarterback McKenzie Milton at the game, 3 surgeries so far, at least 1 pending. Ironic that his more than adequate backup is named Mack Jr. Amazing 2nd half comeback from 21-38.

Darriel Mack Jr: 19 for 27, 70.4%, 348 yards, 12.9 yards per attempt, 2 TDs, 0 INTs, 1 sack losing 3 yards, 203.1 QB rating, 18 rushes, 59 yards, 4 TDs, 404 total yards, 6 total TDs. Wow.

I guess UCF could still sneak into the playoffs if Northwestern beats OH St and Pitt beats Clemson, but I'm not counting on it.

#1 Alabama (ugh) -13 vs @#4 Georgia. How did Georgia get the home game? Go Knights!
I hate AL so much that I forgot that I was rooting for it through most of the 2nd half. Good game. AL missed the spread, but knocked GA out of the playoffs. Not that I'm an OK fan, but cool. Go Irish!
I'm 2-3 and out of the money. I'll finish the season $2.20 in the hole. Cheap date.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

App St crushed Louisiana 30-19 to go 10-2 and win the Sun Belt Championship. :clap: Decent Bowl coming.
Vrede too wrote:
Pool (Yahoo!) spreads, go:

@#19 Boise St -2.5 vs #25 Fresno St.
1OT game, Fresno wins for the 1st time in Boise since 1984, 2 years BEFORE the blue turf was installed.
@Pittsburgh +28! vs #2 Clemson. Time for a miracle.
Nope.
#21 Northwestern +14 vs @#6 Ohio St. Go Knights!
Nope.
Vrede too wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:38 pm
Alabama vs Georgia. The over/under is 64½ 63.5, only 3rd highest.
Final total 63, very close.
Oklahoma vs Texas. :lol: The over/under is 79½ 77! Their 1st game was 48-45 Texas.
Final total 66. Their offenses sucked. ;)
Ohio State vs Northwestern. The over/under is 61.
Final total 69, close.
Central Florida vs Memphis. The over/under is 71 65. Their 1st game was 31-30 UCF.
Final total 97. :lol:
Won 25 straight games, scoring over 30 in all of them!
I finished 2-6 on the week, 1 out of the cellar.
Vrede too wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:58 pm
I'll finish the season $2.20 in the hole. Cheap date.
That puts me in 7th out of 18 for money, but I finished 1 away from dead last for season points. :oops: :lol:

At least one announcer says that GA should be in the playoffs since it played AL so tight. CRAP, NOOOOO. This writer agrees with me:
https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.c ... p-weekend/
Orange Bowl: No. 1 Alabama vs No. 4 Oklahoma
Cotton Bowl: No. 2 Clemson vs No. 3 Notre Dame

I could be wrong, but I don't think the PSC has ever picked a Power 5 team with a worse record over another Power 5 team. The controversies have been over which team with the same record was better or worse. If this holds true, 2 loss GA is out.

In our pool there will be spreads for all of the Bowl games EXCEPT the playoff semis and final.

Can Alabama stop Oklahoma's offense? No one else has. Can Oklahoma slow Alabama's offense? It hasn't anyone else's. Not sure how many pick sets I'll enter, but I'd like to pick Oklahoma > Alabama in one of them.

I'll pick Notre Dame > Clemson in at least 1 pick set. I'd like it to win it all and may pick it to do so in a pick set.

I'll have to see what the Vegas wisdom is before making any final decisions. But that doesn't mean that I'll heed it. If, say, Alabama > Clemson in the final is the most popular choice and end result, one could select it and still lose. So, there's something to be said for being an oddball. It's that big pond - little pond thing.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Not to beat a dead horse, but any "system" that remains so arbitrary this late in the season can't be all that good.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:20 am

Can Alabama stop Oklahoma's offense? No one else has. Can Oklahoma slow Alabama's offense? It hasn't anyone else's. Not sure how many pick sets I'll enter, but I'd like to pick Oklahoma > Alabama in one of them.

Depends, will holding be called?
Will there be more pass interference call against players for getting close to a Bama receiver?
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:15 am
Not to beat a dead horse, but any "system" that remains so arbitrary this late in the season can't be all that good.
Agreed. An 8 team playoff would likely include:
Alabama
Oklahoma
Clemson
Notre Dame
OH St
GA
UCF
Michigan

It would be hard to make the case that one of them isn't the best in the country. A 12 team playoff with a 1st round bye for 4 teams would likely also include 4 of these:
Washington
Florida
LSU
Washington State
Penn State
Or maybe:
Texas
Kentucky
West Virginia

A 16 team playoff would include all of them.

The AP and Coaches agree with me, Oklahoma in and GA out. So does the PSC, whew.

Alabama, Clemson, Notre Dame and Oklahoma selected for College Football Playoff

Appalachian State finished #30 or #31. :thumbup:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Playoff Selection Committee Poll

1 Alabama (13-0)
2 Clemson (13-0)
3 Notre Dame (12-0)
4 Oklahoma (12-1)
5 Georgia (11-2)
6 Ohio State (12-1)
7 Michigan (10-2)
8 UCF (12-0)
9 Washington (10-3)
10 Florida (9-3)
11 LSU (9-3)
12 Penn State (9-3)
13 Washington State (10-2)
14 Kentucky (9-3)
15 Texas (9-4)

DECEMBER 29, 2018

Peach Bowl: Michigan vs. Florida

College Football Playoff semifinals

Orange Bowl: Alabama vs. Oklahoma
Cotton Bowl: Clemson vs. Notre Dame

JANUARY 1, 2019

Fiesta Bowl: UCF vs. LSU
Rose Bowl: Ohio State vs. Washington
Sugar Bowl: Georgia vs. Texas

Leaving aside discussion of whether UCF should be in the playoffs or ranked higher than #8 (AP and Coaches say #7), and understanding that it's an honor to play on New Year’s Day at all and that LSU are no slouches, UCF should be playing a team ranked higher than #11. Georgia, Ohio State and Michigan all skipped past it for their opponents. Yeah, I know that there are Bowl-Conference tie-ins, but that's just more discrimination against non-Power 5 teams. The best games possible should be scheduled.

Go Knights!

That said, I'm thrilled that Washington clawed its way back to the elite.

I might also be annoyed by Texas if I was a Penn State, (serious) Washington State or a Kentucky fan.

Go Irish, Huskies and Longhorns!

Hmmm, probably just 2 pick sets this year. In the 6 high-points games the only ones where I don't have an absolute favorite are Alabama vs. Oklahoma and Michigan vs. Florida.

(this may be my last pro-UCF bitchin' until after it crushes LSU and the final rankings come out)
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

At least ucf finally gets to play a top 20 team in defense of their top ten ranking.

They might even win against a very inconsistent 3 1/2 loss lsu
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:31 am
At least ucf finally gets to play a top 20 team in defense of their top ten ranking.

"finally"???

Auburn was #7 1/1/18 when UCF beat it 34-27 in the 2018 Peach Bowl.

Or do you mean "finally" this season? Pitt, Memphis (beaten twice), S. FL and Cincy were all ranked this year but you're correct that they aren't now, in part because UCF beat them.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:18 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:31 am

"finally"???

Auburn was #7 1/1/18 when UCF beat it 34-27 in the 2018 Peach Bowl.

Or do you mean "finally" this season? Pitt, Memphis (beaten twice), S. FL and Cincy were all ranked this year but you're correct that they aren't now, in part because UCF beat them.

No, they beat them because they also don't play anyone.

I felt the same way about the blue field whiners and have always praised FSU for the way they established their program by playing tough games at the other team's stadium.

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-fo ... h-by-other

If you scroll far enough you'll find the likes of Cincinnati, Memphis and ucf.

O Really
Admiral

I don't follow SEC rankings all that much, but how many of Alabama's opponents were ranked? One of the Mississippis I suppose, LSU, Auburn...Mercer? Arkansas State? You can argue that UCF didn't play enough ranked teams to be worthy of the championship, but if you do, don't you also have to consider that without the Mercers of the world that maybe Alabama wouldn't be unbeaten, either?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:10 am
I don't follow SEC rankings all that much, but how many of Alabama's opponents were ranked? One of the Mississippis I suppose, LSU, Auburn...Mercer? Arkansas State? You can argue that UCF didn't play enough ranked teams to be worthy of the championship, but if you do, don't you also have to consider that without the Mercers of the world that maybe Alabama wouldn't be unbeaten, either?
Going with the PSC rankings, opponents that are still ranked:

#1 Alabama (13-0)
#5 Georgia (11-2), 35 - 28
#11 LSU (9-3), 29 - 0
#18 Mississippi State (8-4), 24 - 0
#19 Texas A&M (8-4), 45 - 23
#23 Missouri (8-4), 39 - 10

#2 Clemson (13-0)
#19 Texas A&M (8-4), 28 - 26
#20 Syracuse (9-3), 27 - 23

#3 Notre Dame (12-0)
#7 Michigan (10-2), 24 - 17
#20 Syracuse (9-3), 36 - 3
#22 Northwestern (8-5), 31 - 21

4 Oklahoma (12-1)
#15 Texas (9-4), 39 - 27 and LOST 45 - 48
#16 West Virginia (8-3), 59 - 56
#24 Iowa State (8-4), 37 - 27
Notable for its huge points scored AND allowed.

Vegas Odds
Alabama -14 vs Oklahoma
Clemson -11 vs Notre Dame
#6 Ohio State (12-1) -6 vs #9 Washington (10-3), GO HUSKIES!
#11 LSU (9-3) -7½ vs #8 UCF (12-0), GO KNIGHTS!
Auburn (7-5) -4 vs Purdue (6-6), I'll probably split my picks with this one, there will be a spread.

IMO:

Impressive Alabama earned its #1 spot and the big point spread, dammit. I'll still pick Oklahoma in one of 2 sets even though there won't be a spread, just because I want to. I'll pick Alabama to win it all in the other set.

Clemson is shaky and has not earned the big point spread. Because I like it more, I'll pick Notre Dame to win in both sets even though there won't be a spread.

I think Notre Dame earned the #2 seed, but the match-ups wouldn't have changed. I'll pick Notre Dame to beat Oklahoma to win the title in one set, and lose to Alabama in the other. Obviously, no spread in the title game.

Oklahoma looks better than Clemson to me, but the PSC just ain't going to seed a 1-loss team ahead of an unbeaten Power 5 team.

Odds to win 2018-19 College Football Championship Game (1/7/19)
Alabama 5/12
Clemson 3/1
Oklahoma 10/1
Notre Dame 12/1

Oh well. I can't just root for teams I don't like. Our pool is too penny-ante to be worth it, $10 per pick set.
Last edited by Vrede too on Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Oh well, Auburn may be worse next year. The school and the big dollar alumni are limiting his new hires to one year contracts.

Hey kid, come play for me, but I may be gone when you get here.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:44 am
Oh well, Auburn may be worse next year. The school and the big dollar alumni are limiting his new hires to one year contracts.

Worse than 7-5 could mean no Bowl, something that's only happened in 2008 and 2012 since 1999.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auburn_Ti ... Bowl_games
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:44 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:

Worse than 7-5 could mean no Bowl, something that's only happened in 2008 and 2012 since 1999.
My son says fake news. Josh Moon is a big bama guy at al.com who has repeatedly put out similar type stories about Auburn.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Yankees vs Mormons, FCS quarterfinals Fri. night: 7-seed #12 Maine Black Bears beat 2-seed #3 Weber St in Ogden, Utah 23-18!

Next, on 12/15: 3-seed #4 Eastern Wash. We have a UMaine alumnus in our pool: "This is the furthest our football team has ever gone postseason. We are very proud but also in a bit of disbelief."

The semi-final has been renamed the 'Who Will Get Crushed by N Dakota St Bowl?' #1 N Dakota St beat #9 Colgate 35-0, plays #5 S Dakota St on 12/14.

N Dakota St has been the FCS champ 2011-2017, except for 2016. Not that 2016 was a total loss. It beat then #13 FBS Iowa and made it to the semis. In fact, it's beaten FBS teams 6 times in a row stretching back to 2010. Now, no FBS team will play it until Oregon does in 2020. Cowards.

Go Black Bears!
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:29 pm
Yankees vs Mormons, FCS quarterfinals Fri. night: 7-seed #12 Maine Black Bears beat 2-seed #3 Weber St in Ogden, Utah 23-18!

Next, on 12/15: 3-seed #4 Eastern Wash. We have a UMaine alumnus in our pool: "This is the furthest our football team has ever gone postseason. We are very proud but also in a bit of disbelief."

The semi-final has been renamed the 'Who Will Get Crushed by N Dakota St Bowl?' #1 N Dakota St beat #9 Colgate 35-0, plays #5 S Dakota St on 12/14.

N Dakota St has been the FCS champ 2011-2017, except for 2016. Not that 2016 was a total loss. It beat then #13 FBS Iowa and made it to the semis. In fact, it's beaten FBS teams 6 times in a row stretching back to 2010. Now, no FBS team will play it until Oregon does in 2020. Cowards.

Go Black Bears!
I started a Maine black bear thread back in August over at lnf. It was a lonely thread. Not even the resident Mainer posted.

O Really
Admiral

I've got a Maine Black Bear t-shirt.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

I thought you might be interested, O Really. Otoh, this surprises me:
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:06 pm
I started a Maine black bear thread back in August over at lnf. It was a lonely thread. Not even the resident Mainer posted.
:lol: I had to badger the UMaine alumnus in our pool into saying something. Because I root for a different FCS team, I was writing about Maine and Delaware (also one fan in our pool, lost in its 1st round playoff game) all season. Not a peep from them or from the 3 other Maine residents. I did hear from the Furman grad about my not mentioning his team. That was because it was doing so poorly that I didn't want to rub it in. :D
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:13 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:44 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:

My son says fake news. Josh Moon is a big bama guy at al.com who has repeatedly put out similar type stories about Auburn.

I'll probably have to wait for Josh Moon to comment on Saban hiring Maryland's DJ Durkin