College football

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: College football

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

O Really wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:08 am
Nor should a win against them be counted for national ranking. Of course, the small schools do benefit greatly financially for letting their teams be warm-up cannon fodder, so taking steps to discourage those games would hurt them more than the big schools.

Agree that it would hurt smaller schools more. Nothing wrong with warm up type games for big schools as long as the rest of the schedule is appropriate and is good for the small schools income, but for a school to make the decision to play a game that they had already announced that they would not play, only after they realised that they weren't bowl eligible stinks of fraud by the bowl committee.

Maybe other teams should schedule "maybe" games in case they come up short.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

I wonder how much it would discourage FCS games. It's not like schools plan 2 years ahead of time to be so marginal that they need the FCS win to get a bowl.
Sounds like 6-6 FSU would have still been bowl eligible at 5-6. However, the article may be correct that Buffalo (6-6), Western Michigan (6-6) and UTSA (6-5) would have jumped ahead of it. Seems like UTSA should have, anyhow.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:14 am
... Tied with 1 other for 3rd at 1 out of the lead, tied with 3 others at 1 away from last.

Go Ohio -7.5 vs. UAB, put me into first.
Go Cent. Michigan + 1 vs. WY.
Ohio 41, UAB 6 :thumbup: . 4 way tie for 1st, tied with 3 others at 1 away from last.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:27 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:14 am
... Tied with 1 other for 3rd at 1 out of the lead, tied with 3 others at 1 away from last.

Go Ohio -7.5 vs. UAB, put me into first.
Go Cent. Michigan + 1 vs. WY.
Ohio 41, UAB 6 :thumbup: . 4 way tie for 1st, tied with 3 others at 1 away from last.
Cent. Michigan 14, WY 37, ugh. Tied with 2 others for 3rd at 1 out of the lead, tied with 3 others at 1 away from last.

Go:
South Florida -2.5 vs. Texas Tech.
Go San Diego St. straight up vs. Army.
Go Appalachian St. +7.5 vs. Toledo!
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:33 pm
Go:
South Florida -2.5 vs. Texas Tech.
3 TDs in last 4:26, South Florida beats the spread by 1.5 with 0:16 left!
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Go San Diego St. straight up vs. Army.
Crap, Army essentially wins by 1 on a walk-off 2 point conversion, then gets a Pick 6 TD on SDSU's final desperation play.

SDSU's R. Penny: 14 Carries, 221 Yds, 15.8 Avg, 4TDs!
Rashaad Penny gets SDSU single-season rushing record, but said its meaningless without win

... 2,248 yards.

Coming into the game, Penny needed 107 yards to pass former teammate D.J. Pumphrey, who rushed for 2,133 yards last season....

Penny’s season rushing total ranks fifth in NCAA history, behind only Oklahoma State’s Barry Sanders (2,628 in 1988), Wisconsin’s Melvin Gordon (2,587 in 2014), Central Florida’s Kevin Smith (2,567 in 2007) and USC’s Marcus Allen (2,342 in 1981).

Penny completes his SDSU career with 3,656 yards, third in school history behind Pumphrey (6,405) and Marshall Faulk (4,589).

He also set an SDSU single-season record with 28 touchdowns this season....
Last edited by Vrede too on Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Go Appalachian St. +7.5 vs. Toledo!
Announcers: There are only 3 Bowls between conference champs: Oklahoma - Georgia, Ohio St. - USC, and Appalachian St. - Toledo.

Appalachian St. 34, Toledo 0. Wow, homeboys did good.

2 way tie for 3rd, 2 out of the lead, 3 points away from last. Our leader has gone 11-3. Ut-oh.

Go Fresno St. +2.5 vs. Houston.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Nice. Announcers: Fresno St. went from double digit losses to double digit wins in one season, only the 2nd time it's ever happened in the FBS.

2 way tie for 3rd, now 1 out of the lead, still 3 points away from last.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

FSU still sucks, Southern Miss sucks more. :thumbdown:
Good game with Iowa, but BC couldn't pull it off. :thumbdown:
AZ came back with 3 1/2 left to win and beat the spread by 0.5, darn, Purdue won with a TD with 1:44 left ending a 0-5 skid for me. :thumbup:
TX kicked MO butt. :thumbup:

3 way tie for 4th, 4 out of the lead, plus just 1 point away from last. Most games worth 2 points now, including 3 of 4 on Thursday.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

I bet on VA and VA Tech, with VA Tech missing the spread by 3.5. :thumbdown:

Didn't have strong feelings about Wash State vs. Michigan State, but my pick set that's doing better wanted Michigan State. :thumbup:

Shame that TCU came back to win :( , but underdog Stanford did beat the 2.5 point spread by 0.5. :thumbup:

The guy leading the pool is on fire, ahead of everyone by at least 5, 20-6 including winning all four 2-point games! I'm tied for 5th at 7 back, but am tied for last and am 1 point out of last.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Lousy day for me.

Really???!!! Wake Forest - Texas A&M: two 400 yard passers, a 150 yard rusher, over 1200 offensive yards, a 59 yard punt return, 63 1st downs, 5 turnovers, 7 lead changes, 107 points and it ends up being a friggin’ push? That sucks.

NC State crushing Arizona St. didn't help me.

Drat, KY beat the spread with 37 seconds left.

NM St. won in OT, cool.

Ohio St. beating USC didn't help me, and it was kind of an ugly game, not worthy of 2 conference champs. Lots of turnovers, no 2nd half scoring at all.

All 3 of my pick sets can still win it all, but GA > AL and AL > OK pretty much have to win out. OK > Clemson has a little wiggle room, but it's still probably a long shot. Go Louisville -6.5, Huskies +2 ($25 side bet made), Wolverines -7.5 and UCF Knights +9.5!
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Some close and exciting games yesterday, though some of them were pretty sloppy and I generally did poorly. Too bad about Louisville and the Huskies. We really need an 8 or 12 team playoff. Ohio State, PSU and WI showed that they could have won it all if given the chance.

I can still take 2nd ($45), 3rd ($10 back) and last ($10 back), and can take 2nd and last or 3rd and last at the same time. If I take 2nd and last, that would be $45 + $10 minus the $30 entry fees minus the $25 I lost betting on the Huskies = $0, LOL.

Go Michigan, UCF, LSU and Georgia > Alabama!

Go Panthers for the NFC South Division (making the Saints a wildcard)!
Go Seahawks for the last NFC wildcard slot!
Go Ravens and Bills for the AFC wildcard slots!
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

loved seeing pretty boy mark not get his usual way with the refs - or maybe he did, people get thrown out for less

next up - poor little UCF loses their 1st game tomorrow

go Clemson and oklahoma
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:24 am
Go

Michigan :thumbdown:

UCF :thumbup:

LSU :thumbdown:
The 2-5 SEC sucks unless it's playing an unranked team.
http://www.ncaa.com/news/football/artic ... bowl-games
"poor little" 13-0 UCF from the 4-3 AAC is better than the team that beat both Alabama and also GA 1 out of 2 games.It would have needed a 12 team playoff to prove how good it is, though.
http://scores.nbcsports.com/cfb/polls.asp

AL > OK: I tie for 3rd and it will go to a score-based tie breaker to determine who gets $10 back.
OK > AL: Skunked.
Clemson > OK: Solo last, $10 back.
OK > Clemson: I tie for last and it will go to a score-based tie breaker.
AL plays GA: Solo last, $10 back regardless of winner.
Clemson plays GA: Skunked.

So, I guess I'm rooting for AL and GA today and against Clemson and GA, but I don't really care.

Have y’all noticed how much Michigan’s Jim Harbaugh looks like Enrico Colantoni from Galaxy Quest (Mathesar) and Person of Interest (Carl Elias)?

1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Sorry - not sorry - about your WounDed Eagle, billy. UCF got no respect all year - way less than they deserved. They didn't pack any pansies into the schedule and pretty much demolished everybody they met. MIght as well be the Central Florida Dangerfields.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Roy Moore is also refusing to concede the results of the Peach Bowl and several other SEC games.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:58 pm
Sorry - not sorry - about your WounDed Eagle, billy. UCF got no respect all year - way less than they deserved. They didn't pack any pansies into the schedule and pretty much demolished everybody they met. MIght as well be the Central Florida Dangerfields.
Well, all three of my teams lost yesterday. Oh well.

Maybe it's just my partisan eyes, but UCF didn't have any plays blown dead by an official as they were running for a touchdown - we did.
We didn't commit a offensive facemask penalty to allow a touchdown - they did on their first
We didn't commit 2 holds to free the qb to run into field goal range - they did they did on their 2nd fg.
We didn't target the ball carrier 3 times and only get penalized once.

And the play that shows it best. When their receiver was ruled to have caught a pass when he landed out of bounds on a ball with his shoulder. At least that one was overruled.

I realize that I sound a lot like the christians whining about the war on Christmas, but it really does seem like we get the lion's share of bad calls in so many big games.

I hope Bama kicks the shit out of uga.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

When I was a jock we used to say, "If we're not good enough to beat the refs, we're not good enough."

$10 back, I suck, but I’m the best at it!

Go Georgia, because it’s been so long and because it’s the 4 1/2 point underdog.
Odds:
Alabama 1/2
Georgia 9/5

I mostly don’t care, though, I’ll be looking for something else to do 1/8 evening.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:49 am

I mostly don’t care, though, I’ll be looking for something else to do 1/8 evening.
Well, there's "The Bachelor"

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:49 am
When I was a jock we used to say, "If we're not good enough to beat the refs, we're not good enough."

$10 back, I suck, but I’m the best at it!

Go Georgia, because it’s been so long and because it’s the 4 1/2 point underdog.
Odds:
Alabama 1/2
Georgia 9/5

Mostly I agree because it happens both ways.

Don't know if you saw the game, but a ball clearly not in possession squirts out when the receiver lands on it with his shoulder and the ref 5 feet away with both eyes directly on the ball calls it a new set of downs reception.
Same ref ruled a few minutes earlier that our interception didn't count because our player lost possession when he hit the ground out of bounds after having full but short possession in bounds. Review confirmed his call and I agree.

No idea if he was the one who stopped play when our fumble recovery was headed for a touchdown, but he was in position to see the facemask that allowed their first touchdown.

I know holding is a grey area with the trigger being different in different conferences, but it seems curious that so many of the calls against us weren't shown on replay. I did see a couple that could or should have been called against us.

I always feel like the typical poor white Christian baker fighting the war on Christmas when I watch Auburn football.