Re: College football

Unread post by Vrede too »

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:40 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:44 am
O Really wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:20 am
Hey - little respect for da U here howboutit.
I would even pull for bammer if they played ND. Go Canes....
Message received loud and clear. I will bet on PSC #7 (8-0) Miami +3 vs #3 (8-1) Notre Dame in Miami....
Thanks! Not just the win, but also the only game that I won over both of my co-winners.

ND & TCU - both blowouts, not a good night for multi-denominational Christian God.

I finished on an 8-1 run. CO 4th & 1 at the USC 3 with 1:45 left, lost 6 yards, missed the friggin’ spread by 1! This game kept me out of solo 1st. Earlier:
Vrede too wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:50 pm
Florida St. +16 @ #4 Clemson. Rare support for FSU, I can dream. Knock it out of the playoffs.
FSU coulda won, knew that Clemson would run, still allowed a garbage TD with 0:35 left to fall short of the spread by 1, arrrggghhh.
That game also would have given me solo 1st. 1 point in each, 1 point!

PSC:
1 Georgia - blown out.
2 Alabama - shaky, undefeated.
3 Notre Dame - blown out.
4 Clemson - shaky for the 6th week in a row.
5 Oklahoma - will move into playoff position.
6 TCU - will fall.
7 Miami - dominated, will move up, undefeated. Go ‘Canes . . . until the Badgers beat you. I’m really looking forward to your winning the ACC crown and tossing Clemson out of the playoffs.
8 Wisconsin - dominated, will move up, undefeated. Go Badgers!
9 Washington - too bad, this was the week to get back in it.
10 Auburn - dominated, will move up. Next up, knocking AL out of the playoffs and the SEC championship game.
18 UCF - undefeated.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:17 am
Vrede too wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:07 am
Go:

#9 Washington -6 @ Stanford.

Crap. Looks like no Pac 12 team in the playoffs this year. :( I lost a side bet with a Stanford fan in the pool. He was too cheap to do it for money, so he's renaming my pool team name. I'll let you know what the new one is.
TheSECandGOPareOKwithME

Sigh. Good thing there are only 3 weeks left.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

They may all be the same, but I sure hope we get refs that call holding both ways. Our big sack guy #4 was held or blocked in the back over and over, but no calls.

Reminds me of a few years back when the sec wanted undefeated bammer and Gators in the sec title game. Officiating was so blatant that an entire crew was suspended.

Georgia never hard a chance, but I still wonder why no holding calls.

And the two plays were the receiver had to come back to make the catch - someone explain to the refs and the reviewers in bham that forward progress is not from where the untouched receiver gains possession and starts running the wrong way, but from where he is hit and pushed back by the opposing player.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Not sure about missed holding calls but Alabama was called for a very rare pass interference on a Mississippi St. Hail Mary at the end, thus giving them another shot at forcing OT or winning. I wouldn't have thought twice about it if it weren't for you you.

Alabama was called for 5 penalties for 60 yards, Mississippi St. 4 for 30, but that doesn't tell us what should have been called.

New AP Rankings:
Miami jumped from 7 to 2 and probably should have.
Oklahoma moved from 5 to 3 (Coaches 5) and probably should have.
Clemson stayed at 4, got passed by Miami and Oklahoma. I think it should be Wisconsin's spot.
Wisconsin moved from 6 to 5 (Coaches 4). It'll really suck if it wins out and misses the playoffs.
Auburn jumped from 10 to 6 and probably should have. That will change when it wins or loses vs. AL.
Notre Dame fell from 3 to 9. With games left against Navy and #20 Stanford and no conference championship, I don't think it has a way to get back in. :(
UCF (9-0) stays at 14 (Coaches 12), won't make the playoffs but good season.

So, I'm rooting for Wisconsin > Miami and no one else. I may do some conditional rooting for Auburn on your behalf even after it beats AL, though.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:21 pm
Not sure about missed holding calls but Alabama was called for a very rare pass interference on a Mississippi St. Hail Mary at the end, thus giving them another shot at forcing OT or winning. I wouldn't have thought twice about it if it weren't for you you.

Rare, but in that case was so blatant that it would have been hard to ignore. Looked like your basic WWF body slam.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:59 pm
Rare, but in that case was so blatant that it would have been hard to ignore. Looked like your basic WWF body slam.
There is that.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Playoff Selection Committee Poll:

1 Alabama (10-0), of course.
2 Clemson (9-1), too high.
3 Miami (9-0), gonna beat #2 Clemson in the ACC championship on 12/2. Only one of them will be in the playoffs, thus pretty much ensuring that they will be a team each from the SEC, ACC, Big 12 and Big 10 unless things get weird.
4 Oklahoma (9-1), plays crappy 1-9 Kansas.
5 Wisconsin (10-0), plays #24 Michigan, should move past Oklahoma with a win.
6 Auburn (8-2), getting closer. Looks like it, Alabama or Georgia is in by winning out, hopefully only one of them.
7 Georgia (9-1), I'd hate to see it get back in.
8 Notre Dame (8-2),may not be able to move up from there.
9 Ohio State (8-2), will hang around until #24 Michigan beats it in the final game or #5 Wisconsin does so in the Big 10 championship.
10 Penn State (8-2), Big 10 also ran.
15 UCF (9-0), will secure a great Bowl game with a win over AP #23, Coaches #20 South Florida (8-1) on 11/24.
18 Washington (8-2), sigh, what coulda been.
19 North Carolina State (7-3)

My playoff prediction:
Alabama (I'd rather Auburn) vs. Oklahoma.
Miami vs. Wisconsin. Too bad if they play each other first, would rather see them in the final.
Then, Wisconsin beats Alabama, but I would not bet money on it.

Odds to win 2017 College Football Championship Game (1/8/18)

Alabama 6/5
Oklahoma 4/1
Clemson 5/1
Miami, Fl. 7/1
Auburn 7/1
Wisconsin 14/1
Georgia 14/1
Ohio State 20/1
Penn State 100/1
Notre Dame 100/1
TCU 125/1
Michigan 125/1
Last edited by Vrede too on Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Georgia has another loss coming. 7 yards total offense in 7 consecutive possessions.

I like these rankings better.

https://www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/c ... -wisconsin

"That was not this 40-17 blowout. This was a one-sided ejection from the premises, and Georgia was the drunk who thought he could take three bouncers at once. This was full-bore cage match only one party knew about in advance. This was the kind of blowout the insurance company won’t cover. Check the policy: “acts of God” are covered, and “the devil whalin’ on your ass for three hours with a two by four” isn’t."

#1 - Miami
#3 - Auburn
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Not many spread-close games this week, only 4 that are less than 11.5 points. :roll:

Go (AP rankings used):

#2 Miami (FL) -19 vs Virginia.
#5 Wisconsin -7.5 vs #19 Michigan. The only game between 2 ranked opponents. :roll:
#1 Alabama and #4 Clemson are both offline since they're playing FCS teams, so I have to pick them. :roll:
LA Monroe +37 @ #6 Auburn.
Texas Tech +7 vs #11 TCU.
Maryland +17 @ #22 Michigan St. No Bowl if 4-6 Maryland loses this game and vs PSU the next week.
#25 N.C. State +1.5 @ Wake Forest.
#16 Washington -17.5 vs Utah.

Not sure about:
#24 West Virginia -3.5 vs Texas.
Who do y'all like?
Last edited by Vrede too on Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

No way Auburn runs up the score by 37. Unless our bench can't help it.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:29 am
You would think that with these huge spreads, but I sometimes get screwed by betting against them.

I'm also betting on:

Kansas +36.5 vs #3 Oklahoma.
Illinois +41 @ #8 Ohio St.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:43 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
You would think that with these huge spreads, but I sometimes get screwed by betting against them.

I'm also betting on:

Kansas +36.5 vs #3 Oklahoma.
Illinois +41 @ #8 Ohio St.
Oklahoma may run up the score. Urban will if he can.

Gus will if it's been done to him. Thus the challenge to the bogus 4th down spot on the UGA's last scoring drive. I haven't watched it again (and promise to apologize if I am wrong), but it sure looked like he missed the spot by over a yard and still the play review gave them the first down.
For lip readers, there is also Gus on the next to the last play mouthing, "we ought to throw it downfield"

I think one of the weaknesses of computer rankings comes from the advantage to those who run up scores on weak teams. Sometimes it just happens no matter how deep you go into the bench, but some coaches keep playing their starters for the sake of rankings.

You shouldn't be winning by 4 scores unless everybody got to play.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Oklahoma and Ohio St. are less moral, sporting and compassionate than Auburn? What, did WDE leave the SEC? :P

I did not see the series that you're talking about. It was such a rout by the 3rd quarter that I was watching other games.

I also wonder how many coach choices are guided by knowledge of the betting line. I'm sure it happens some, no idea how much.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:00 pm
Oklahoma and Ohio St. are less moral, sporting and compassionate than Auburn? What, did WDE leave the SEC? :P

I did not see the series that you're talking about. It was such a rout by the 3rd quarter that I was watching other games.

I also wonder how many coach choices are guided by knowledge of the betting line. I'm sure it happens some, no idea how much.
Didn't say Auburn. I said Gus.

There was a lot of discussion of certain coaches running up scores to rate higher in the BCS rankings. Not so much talk now, but still the same coaches run up scores. Didn't Arkansas coach brag about running up scores when he was at Wisconsin? I remember him as one who said the ranking system forced him to.

Again, I've not seen Gus do it when he had the chance. Maybe I'm wrong, we'll see on Saturday when he starts playing the bench.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

I don't dispute you on coaches running up scores to rate higher in the BCS rankings. I think that score differential has been officially eliminated or deemphasized in some of the rankings schemes in order to reduce running up the score, but am not sure if it's all of them. Plus, other than with the purely computer-generated rankings there's no way to entirely get rid of the psychological impact of how, say, 40-17 :thumbup: looks compared to 20-17.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:52 pm
I don't dispute you on coaches running up scores to rate higher in the BCS rankings. I think that score differential has been officially eliminated or deemphasized in some of the rankings schemes in order to reduce running up the score, but am not sure if it's all of them. Plus, other than with the purely computer-generated rankings there's no way to entirely get rid of the psychological impact of how, say, 40-17 :thumbup: looks compared to 20-17.
Again, I said gus makes exceptions. Georgia runs up the score on us at any chance. A 40 to 10 score early in the 4th against the #1 team is a statement.

Running up the score against LA Monroe - not so much. We'll see what Gus does.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Yikes, I was trying to dis Georgia for and with you, and agree with you on the rankings effect in general terms, not accuse Auburn of running up the score against it.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:28 pm
Yikes, I was trying to dis Georgia for and with you, and agree with you on the rankings effect in general terms, not accuse Auburn of running up the score against it.
oops, misunderstood.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

I went with #24 West Virginia -3.5 vs Texas.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:21 am
Go (AP rankings used):

LA Monroe +37 @ #6 Auburn.
billy.pilgrim wrote:
WDE better worry about winning, only up by 7 at the half.
1312. ETTD.