College football

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: College football

Unread post by Vrede too »

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:35 pm
Kansas +35.5 vs @#6 Oklahoma. Yep. Once again, OK scores points but its defense sucks against an unranked team. IMNVHO, it, WV and OH St all took themselves out of the playoff conversation today.
Vrede too wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:21 am
O Really wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:08 am
"#11" UCF (22-0) beats #19 Cinncinnati (9-2) 38-13.
Hopefully that win won't cost them more than 1-2 places in the ummmm "rankings" :roll:
I assume that Michigan will stay #4. If it was up to me, I would jump Washington St past Oklahoma, LSU and definitely WV, and move UCF up some. Then, there’s GA. It has beaten AP #15 FL and #20 KY and got stomped by #10 LSU 16-36. Washington St has beaten #21 Utah and barely lost to unranked USC. GA still wins that matchup, I guess, until AL humiliates it and Washington St beats #17 Washington.
AP Rankings
(I think the Coaches' Rankings are worse)

1 Alabama (11-0)
2 Clemson (11-0)
3 Notre Dame (11-0)
4 Michigan (10-1)
5 Georgia (10-1)

I wish it were otherwise, but okay.

6 Oklahoma (10-1)

:gthumb:
#25 Iowa State played it close-ish.
It barely beat #23 Army.
It barely beat unranked Texas Tech and Oklahoma State.
3-8 Kansas scored 40 points on it.
It lost to #11 Texas.
Based on this, it should be #12-22.

7 Washington State (10-1), up from #8.

Good, could be better. Washington State beat #18 Utah, but barely lost to unranked USC.
O Really wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:08 am
"#11" UCF (22-0) beats #19 Cinncinnati (9-2) 38-13.
Hopefully that win won't cost them more than 1-2 places in the ummmm "rankings" :roll:
8 LSU (9-2)
8 UCF (10-0, 23-0), up from #11

Cool! As good as LSU is a big deal. Too bad that they knocked Cincinnati completely out of the rankings. Otherwise, their victory would look better. The PSC has been a little less friendly to it, was #12. We'll see Tuesday.

16 Washington (8-3), up from #17

About right. It hurts, but I hope that Washington St kills it.

21 Boise State (9-2), up from #23.

:thumbup: The Mountain West Mountain Division all comes down to the 11/24 game vs #14 Utah State (10-1), in Boise on the blue turf.

Election note: I'm happy that I can start rooting for AZ teams again, not that they're doing much this year.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Playoff Selection Committee Poll

Top eight remains unchanged in latest College Football Playoff rankings

UCF up to #9. I like AP slightly more, all the way own to Boise State's spot.

Go (AP rankings):

#8 UCF -14 vs @South Florida. 24-0! Fri 11/23 04:15 PM ET.
@#12 West Virginia +1.5 vs #6 Oklahoma. Now we see if my bitchin' about Oklahoma holds up or not, though I'll be pissed of if West Virginia wins and jumps past WA St.
@#7 Washington St -3 vs #16 Washington. Go Cougars (this time)!
#13 Florida -5.5 vs @Florida St. No Bowl for FSU!
#19 Syracuse +7.5 vs @Boston Coll. Interesting favorite. If the ranking was reversed I would happily reverse my bet, but I want the one doing better to keep it up.
#4 Michigan -4 vs @#10 Ohio St. Go Blue Wave! The winner plays surprising #20 Northwestern for the Big 10 Championship.
#24 Pittsburgh +6 vs @Miami (FL).
(5-6) Maryland +13.5 vs @#15 Penn St. Do them like you almost did Ohio St. Getting a Bowl is on the line.
Auburn +24.5 vs @#1 Alabama. Do you believe in miracles?
@Texas A&M -2.5 vs #8 LSU. Interesting favorite, there doesn't seem to be an injury/arrest reason for it. Go Cougars and UCF!
@USC +10.5 vs #3 Notre Dame. Go Cougars and UCF!
@#21 Boise St -3 vs #14 Utah St. Go Blue turf! This decides the Mountain West Mountain Division and likely the Mountain West Conference.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Yep

The Kick Six, Auburn’s Iron Bowl miracle vs. Alab…: https://youtu.be/6Jet8D_pMsg
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:26 am
Yep

The Kick Six, Auburn’s Iron Bowl miracle vs. Alab…: https://youtu.be/6Jet8D_pMsg
Wow, 5 years already.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:20 am

Go (AP rankings):

@#12 West Virginia +1.5 +2.5 vs #6 Oklahoma. Now we see if my bitchin' about Oklahoma holds up or not, though I'll be pissed of if West Virginia wins and jumps past WA St.
#13 Florida -5.5 -6.5 vs @Florida St. No Bowl for FSU!
#19 Syracuse +7.5 vs @Boston Coll. Interesting favorite. If the ranking was reversed I would happily reverse my bet, but I want the one doing better to keep it up.
#4 Michigan -4 -4.5 vs @#10 Ohio St. Go Blue Wave! The winner plays surprising #20 Northwestern for the Big 10 Championship.
#24 Pittsburgh +6 +5 vs @Miami (FL).
(5-6) Maryland +13.5 vs @#15 Penn St. Do them like you almost did Ohio St. Getting a Bowl is on the line.
@Texas A&M -2.5 -3 vs #8 LSU. Interesting favorite, there doesn't seem to be an injury/arrest reason for it. Go Cougars and UCF!
@USC +10.5 +11 vs #3 Notre Dame. Go Cougars and UCF!
@#21 Boise St -3 -2.5 vs #14 Utah St. Go Blue turf! This decides the Mountain West Mountain Division and likely the Mountain West Conference.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:20 am
Vrede too wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:20 am

Go (AP rankings):

@#12 West Virginia +1.5 +2.5 vs #6 Oklahoma. Now we see if my bitchin' about Oklahoma holds up or not, though I'll be pissed of if West Virginia wins and jumps past WA St.
#13 Florida -5.5 -6.5 vs @Florida St. No Bowl for FSU!
#4 Michigan -4 -4.5 vs @#10 Ohio St. Go Blue Wave! The winner plays surprising #20 Northwestern for the Big 10 Championship.
#24 Pittsburgh +6 +5 vs @Miami (FL).
@Texas A&M -2.5 -3 vs #8 LSU. Interesting favorite, there doesn't seem to be an injury/arrest reason for it. Go Cougars and UCF!
@USC +10.5 +11 vs #3 Notre Dame. Go Cougars and UCF!
@#21 Boise St -3 -2.5 vs #14 Utah St. Go Blue turf! This decides the Mountain West Mountain Division and likely the Mountain West Conference.

I've been at Auburn too long not to.

Possibly better than the "kick Bama kick" game, was the "punt Bama punt" game.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCzEEE129SE
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
UCF lost its star junior Heisman Trophy candidate QB early ("emergency surgery Friday night to repair a serious knee injury"), certainly for the season, hopefully not for his entire college/pro career. UCF scored 31 points after the injury and destroyed the spread, 24-0 streak, all scoring more than 30. It only beat Memphis by 1 in Oct., may have a tougher time winning the American Athletic crown on 12/1 now.
@#12 West Virginia +2.5 vs #6 Oklahoma. Now we see if my bitchin' about Oklahoma holds up or not, though I'll be pissed of if West Virginia wins and jumps past WA St.
Almost 1400 total yards of offense. OK says, “Defense, we don’t need no stinkin’ defense.” Except, they did get 2 strip sixes. The teams outscored KC - Rams! OK punted for the 1st and only time with 7:20 left in the game. For the 4th game in a row its opponent scores 40 or more points. OK still wins. No other team has ever done that 3 games in a row before. WV misses the spread by 0.5, arrrggghhh. Hook ‘em 12/1, ‘Horns.
It was weird rooting against the Huskies. Oh well, good for them. Hopefully they’ll crush Utah, win the Pac 12 and dominate in the Rose Bowl. Too bad for the Pac 12’s slim chances of a playoff game, though.
I start 1-3, the leader is 3-1. One player is 0-4.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
#13 Florida -6.5 vs @Florida St. No Bowl for FSU!
Sweet, but only one bettor picked FSU.
Sweet, but only 2 bettors picked Boston Coll.
#4 Michigan -4.5 vs @#10 Ohio St. Go Blue Wave! The winner plays surprising #20 Northwestern for the Big 10 Championship.
Ugh, go Northwestern!
I'm 3-5, tied for 1 out of the cellar. The leader is 7-1.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Effin' Heels - they'll break your heart if you believe in them. Fortunately, I've known that for almost half a century, so I expected them to tank and thus wasn't disappointed. But hey - how 'bout dem Huskies. (If Lady O is happy, I'm happy)

O Really
Admiral

No magic for WDE this year - sorry, billy.
:cry:

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
#24 Pittsburgh +5 vs @Miami (FL).
:lol: Nope.
Whoa, PSU crushed my Terps. What does this mean for wannabe OH St that almost got beat by MD last week?
Auburn is 6.5 short of the spread, sigh. God, and the SEC refs ;) are 'Bama fans.
I'm on a 0-6 run, 3-9, solo last place. The leader is 8-4. Amazingly, I can still tie with one other for first if I win the final 7. However, @Louisville's not doing well vs 17.5 point favorite #17 Kentucky early.

Appalachian State (9-2, 7-1) beat Troy 21-10 for the Sun Belt East nod, will play Louisiana-Lafayette (7-5, 5-3) for the Sun Belt Championship.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

There were 3-4 motorcoaches of people today with big gold M's waving, food on the barbie, lots of beer - all the usual tailgating hoopla. Had an area set up with a couple of TV's and lots of attitude, "Hail to the Victors" playing. By the end of the third quarter, they'd all disappeared. Dunno where they went, but I'm pretty sure it was down a spiral somewhere.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:49 pm
There were 3-4 motorcoaches of people today with big gold M's waving, food on the barbie, lots of beer - all the usual tailgating hoopla. Had an area set up with a couple of TV's and lots of attitude, "Hail to the Victors" playing. By the end of the third quarter, they'd all disappeared. Dunno where they went, but I'm pretty sure it was down a spiral somewhere.
Terps fans or Michigan? Probably Michigan. Is that normal for out-of-state fans to party at an RV park? I've always gone to a bar.

Anything to say about the local UCF agony and ecstasy, or have you already moved on to Naples?
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:02 pm
O Really wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:49 pm
Terps fans or Michigan? Probably Michigan. Is that normal for out-of-state fans to party at an RV park? I've always gone to a bar.

Anything to say about the local UCF agony and ecstasy, or have you already moved on to Naples?
Michigan. These weren't "out of state fans" particularly. Mostly snow-birds on their way to the Tampa area. They didn't really come to the RV park to party, they just took advantage of the opportunity of having a game with the hated Buckeyes.

Milton is all the talk. No real info on his long-term prognosis, but he did have surgery said to be "successful." According to the family's statement:

“The Milton family would like to express gratitude for all of your thoughts, prayers, and concerns. McKenzie's surgery was successful and he is recovering well. We would like to thank the medical staffs at Tampa General Hospital, University of South Florida, and the sports medicine staff at UCF for their superb care.

“McKenzie looks forward to rejoining his teammates in Orlando and supporting them in their quest to bring another conference championship to our program.

“Remember what Ohana means. No one gets left behind. #UCF

No real gnashing of teeth over lost chances, though - Mack's no chopped liver.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:27 pm
Michigan. These weren't "out of state fans" particularly. Mostly snow-birds on their way to the Tampa area. They didn't really come to the RV park to party, they just took advantage of the opportunity of having a game with the hated Buckeyes.
I misunderstood. I thought you meant that the 3-4 motorcoaches arrived to tailgate and then split, not just that the party folded.
“Remember what Ohana means. No one gets left behind. #UCF
"(It) means family (in an extended sense of the term, including blood-related, adoptive or intentional). The concept emphasizes that families are bound together and members must cooperate and remember one another," but it's Hawaiian, not FL native.

"ʻOhana is a key theme in Disney's 2002 film, Lilo & Stitch, and throughout its franchise."
Ah, that explains its use in Orlando. :D
1312. ETTD.

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Boatrocker »

Roll Tide.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Boatrocker wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:49 pm
Roll Tide.
Our Bowl pool does not use spreads for the semis, which I object to since they're set ahead of time, and obviously for the final since it can't be known until after the semis. I MAY pick someone other than 'Bama in ONE of my pick sets just for the heck of it, but I predict that almost all will choose 'Bama this year.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:36 pm

"ʻOhana is a key theme in Disney's 2002 film, Lilo & Stitch, and throughout its franchise."
Ah, that explains its use in Orlando. :D
Well, that and the fact that Milton is Hawaiian.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:03 pm
Well, that and the fact that (McKenzie) Milton is Hawaiian.
:oops:

I should have guessed from his name. ;)
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
@Texas A&M -3 vs #8 LSU. Interesting favorite, there doesn't seem to be an injury/arrest reason for it. Go Cougars and UCF!
An INT thrown by TAMU is reversed since its QB had a knee down before throwing, but only after LSU head coach Ed Orgeron got a Gatorade bath :lol: , then replay gives TAMU 1 second left in regular time a few plays later, great 19 yard touchdown pass and catch to force OT. Wow. I’m not as anti-LSU as I was when I bet on TAMU since WA St and Michigan lost, and it won’t make a difference to our pool money, anyhow. Goal line stand by LSU, FGs traded - 2OT forced. TDs traded - 3OT. TDs traded, 2-point conversions traded - first of the year for both teams! - 4OT. FGs traded - 5OT. TDs traded, both 2-point conversions failed - 6OT. TDs traded and 2-point conversions traded - 7OT. TDs traded, TAMU got the only 2-point conversion, 74-72, missed the spread by 1. It was a 5 hour game, highest scoring FBS game ever. No playoffs for LSU.
@USC +11 vs #3 Notre Dame. Go Cougars and UCF!
I’m not as anti-ND as I was when I bet on USC since WA St and Michigan lost, and it won’t make a difference to our pool money, anyhow. USC beats the spread on a 20 yard pass with 0:48 left, but undefeated ND wins and is in the playoffs. Fine with me.
I'm 5-12, tied with my brother for last. The leader is 11-6.

Edit:

Utah comes back from 7-27 to beat BYU 35-27, but is 4.5 short of the spread. Miracle? Idk, but there was this sign at the game: Jesus Loves U.
Vrede too wrote:
@#21 Boise St -2.5 vs #14 Utah St. Go Blue turf! This decides the Mountain West Mountain Division and likely the Mountain West Conference.
Good game. Boise St wins, beats the spread and will host the Mountain West championship game on 12/1 vs the same Fresno St it beat 2 weeks ago.
I finish 7-12, 1 better than the 2 folks in last, including a Logan (Utah St), UT prof. Bad day for him. The 2 winners are 12-7. I'm in a 3-way tie for 3rd worst out of 18 for season points.

Losers:
#4 Michigan
#7 Washington St.
#8 LSU
#12 West Virginia
#14 Utah St
#24 Pittsburgh

Big winners:
#6 Oklahoma
#10 Ohio St

#5 Georgia also won, but vs a weak Georgia Tech.
#8 UCF also won, but vs a weak South Florida.

I’ll start by assuming that Notre Dame has a playoff slot, and that Clemson will beat Pitt to win the ACC and stay in the playoffs though I hope otherwise. If not, things get complicated.

Not sure what will happen in the rankings this week, but GA is in the playoffs if it beats AL next week, unlikely. Then, who gets the 4th spot - AL (yuck), Oklahoma if it wins the Big 12, or Ohio St if it wins the Big 10? Yep, I’ll root for AL vs GA, 2 SEC teams would really, really suck.

If GA, Oklahoma (vs Texas which already beat OK) AND Ohio St (vs Northwestern which has surprised lots of folks since an ugly start) all lose, unlikely but certainly possible, I think they have to put 12-0 UCF in if it beats Memphis (8-4, 5-3). Go Knights! Pretty amazing that they still have any path at all.
1312. ETTD.