College football

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: College football

Unread post by Vrede too »

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:32 pm
I still question Oklahoma’s AP #6 ranking. It’s only beaten #23 Iowa State, barely won vs. unranked Army and Texas Tech, and lost to #15 6-3 Texas.
OK wins by one after stopping a 2 point attempt with 1:03 left, 48-47, missed the spread vs unranked OK St by 19. It can score points, but its defense sucks, shouldn't be in the top 10.
Vrede too wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:38 pm
#10 Washington St -6 vs @Colorado. Yes!
@Tennessee +6 vs #12 Kentucky. Kentucky trounced. :thumbup:
Michigan killed Rutgers, came up 4 short of the spread. :(
Iowa St. beat Baylor, came up 0.5 short of the spread. :cry:
San Jose St got thumped by Utah St, came up 7 short of the spread. :(

I go 3-3-1 in the late afternoon games. I'm 5-8-1, just 1 out of the cellar, can't win any money with 6 games left to play. The leaders are 10-3-1.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:38 pm
Go (AP Rankings):

@Boise St +3 vs #16 Fresno St. It's complicated, but this is more about eventually hurting #14 UT St in the Mountain West Conference standings than it is about hurting Fresno St. Sweet, BSU came back to win 24-17 after being down 3-17 in the third.
I also successfully bet on @#13 Syracuse to crush Louisville.

TCU (ugh) +12 vs #7 West Virginia. Knock it out of the top 10. Not even close, serves me right.
@#24 Michigan St. +3.5 vs #8 Ohio St. Knock it out of the top 10. Terrible 4th quarter for MSU.
Wisconsin +9 vs @#21 Penn St. Knock it out of the top 25. Missed the spread by 3. :(
@#19 Florida -6.5 vs South Carolina. Came back to win, but missed the spread by 2.5.
@#11 UCF -25.5 vs Navy. Sink 'em. Too bad that UCF didn’t beat the spread but still, 22-0 now, 22 games with over 30 points scored. Wow.
Auburn +14 vs @#5 Georgia. Knock it out of the top 10. Missed the spread by 3, you let me down, billy.
@Arkansas + 13.5 vs #9 LSU. Knock it out of the top 10. LSU shuns the spread beating certain TD x 2 in favor of running out the clock. :thumbup:
#15 Texas -2 vs @Texas Tech. Texas Tech forces OT with 1:45 left. TX wins with a 29 yard TD pass with 0:21 left. :clap:
#s 12, KY, and 16, Fresno, are the only ranked teams to be upset and lose. I would have liked to see some of the top 10 stumble again.

11! of the 20 games were decided by within 7 of the spread. I went 3-6-2 in those games, sigh. I finish 8-10-2, the winner has 13-5-2, the worst 5-13-2.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:24 am
@Arkansas + 13.5 vs #9 LSU. Knock it out of the top 10. LSU shuns the spread beating certain TD x 2 in favor of running out the clock. :thumbup:
LSU sitting on the one-yard line as a 13-point favorite is the gambling crime of the century

... Rather than run out the rest of the clock, LSU ran another play, and Brossette again had a chance to score, and AGAIN went down, this time at the one-yard line. In other words, he spat in the face of LSU -13 bettors,then beat the crap out of them, kicked them while they were down. all while pointing and laughing like Nelson does in "The Simpsons"....
This game made the difference between 1 person winning and 2 others sharing 1st.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX7wtNOkuHo

https://www.yahoo.com/news/arkansas-pla ... 27624.html

Opps.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

AP Rankings

Oklahoma still #6. :x
#18 Iowa State played it close-ish.
It barely beat unranked Army, Texas Tech and Oklahoma State.
It lost to #13 Texas.
Based on this, it should be #14-17.

Washington State up to #8. :D
UCF still #11. :thumbdown:
Syracuse up to #12. :crazy:
Washington up to #17. :thumbup:
Kentucky down to #20. :thumbup:
Boise State appears at #23. 8-)
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

A lot of ridiculous powder puff games for ranked teams this week. I usually don't bother, but I'll include a few here.

Go:

@Maryland +16.5 vs #9 Ohio St. I can dream about knocking it out of the top 10.
#24 Northwestern -2.5 vs @Minnesota.
Citadel +51 vs @#1 Alabama. C'mon, CitaDel, hold Alabama to just 50.
@#15 Florida -39.5 vs Idaho.
@Colorado +7.5 vs #21 Utah. Knock it out of the top 25.
#12 Syracuse +9 vs @#3 Notre Dame. Top 10, baby! I'll bet this was supposed to be a powder puff game for Notre Dame. Best game of the day?
#22 Boston Coll -2 vs @Florida St. FSU is 4-6. This game and/or Florida next week will keep it out of the Bowls.
@Oklahoma St (ugh) -5 vs #7 West Virginia. Knock it out of the top 10.
UMass +44 vs @#5 Georgia.
@#17 Washington -32.5 vs Oregon St.
Duke +28 vs @#2 Clemson.
Kansas +36 vs @#6 Oklahoma.
Rice +44 vs @#10 LSU.
@#13 Texas -3 vs #18 Iowa St. Ames is in the district that just reelected Nazi Rep Steve King.
@#11 UCF -7.5 vs #19 Cincinnati . 23-0!
@#8 Washington St -10 vs Arizona.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Playoff Selection Committee Poll

Oklahoma still #6. :roll:
Only changes at the top are that KY dropped lower :thumbup: and Fresno St fell right out of the poll.
Only difference at the top with the AP is that OH St, LSU and WV shift a bit.
Northwestern appears at #22 and Boise State appears at #25. :D
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

I think I've identified a big part of the problem in college football's ummmm, "championship."
"Selection Committee"
I seem to recall that a camel is a horse designed by a committee.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:30 pm
I think I've identified a big part of the problem in college football's ummmm, "championship."
"Selection Committee"
I seem to recall that a camel is a horse designed by a committee.
rstrong wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:08 am
Vrede wrote:Condi Rice expected on (BCS) playoff panel

Great, expect hundreds of lies about the strength of certain teams and the weapons they have available to them, along with massive cost overruns and a selection process that takes many bloody years before resolution.
"Probably the most important moment maybe in American history."
- Condoleezza Rice on President Bush visiting Ground Zero

:roll:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:08 pm
Playoff Selection Committee Poll

Oklahoma still #6. :roll:
Only changes at the top are that KY dropped lower :thumbup: and Fresno St fell right out of the poll....
"The College Football Playoff rankings remained unchanged in its top 10 this week following victories for each school -- the first time in the history of the rankings that has happened....

UCF's No. 11 ranking is the highest for a Group of Five team in the CFP's history."
Vrede too wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:54 pm
OK wins by one after stopping a 2 point attempt with 1:03 left, 48-47, missed the spread vs unranked OK St by 19. It can score points, but its defense sucks, shouldn't be in the top 10.
Is a one-dimensional Oklahoma team enough for the CFP selection committee?

As Chuba Hubbard rumbled through a trio of Sooners defenders into the end zone for yet another Oklahoma State touchdown, the boos came cascading down from the Owen Field bleachers. Boos, presumably, directed at the Oklahoma defense.

If OU fans feel this way about their own team's defense, imagine what the College Football Playoff selection committee has to be thinking.

Once again on Saturday, Bedlam delivered another high-scoring thriller, which was finally decided by OSU's failed two-point conversion try. With the 48-47 victory, the Sooners kept their Big 12 title and playoff dreams alive. But such a dismal defensive performance, woeful even by OU's rapidly declining standards, raised two questions for the Sooners: With this porous of a defense, can OU win at No. 8 West Virginia in two weeks, then defeat the Mountaineers again (or No. 13 Iowa State or No. 18 Texas) in the Big 12 championship?

And even then, would a one-loss conference champ, owning unarguably the worst defense of any legitimate contender of the playoff era, still be worthy of a playoff bid?....

(followed by lots of details about how much Oklahoma's defense sucks)
Vrede too wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:23 pm
A lot of ridiculous powder puff games for ranked teams this week. I usually don't bother, but I'll include a few here.

Go:

@Maryland +16.5 +14.5 vs #9 Ohio St. I can dream about knocking it out of the top 10. I hope losing those 2 points doesn't hurt me.
#24 Northwestern -2.5 vs @Minnesota.
Citadel +51 +52 vs @#1 Alabama. C'mon, CitaDel, hold Alabama to just 50. I wonder if the betting shifted dramatically.
@#15 Florida -39.5 -40 vs Idaho. I wonder if the betting shifted dramatically.
@Colorado +7.5 vs #21 Utah. Knock it out of the top 25.
#12 Syracuse +9 +10.5 vs @#3 Notre Dame. Top 10, baby! I'll bet this was supposed to be a powder puff game for Notre Dame. Best game of the day?
#22 Boston Coll -2 -1.5 vs @Florida St. FSU is 4-6. This game and/or Florida next week will keep it out of the Bowls.
@Oklahoma St (ugh) +5 +4.5 vs #7 West Virginia. Knock it out of the top 10.
UMass +44 +41.5 vs @#5 Georgia. I knew they were better than 44. :D
@#17 Washington -32.5 -33 vs Oregon St.
Duke +28 +28.5 vs @#2 Clemson.
Kansas +36 +35.5 vs @#6 Oklahoma.
Rice +44 +42 vs @#10 LSU. I knew they were better than 44. :D
@#13 Texas -3 vs #18 Iowa St. Ames is in the district that just reelected Nazi Rep Steve King. At the moment it looks like West Virginia, Texas and Iowa State are all battling for the nod to play Oklahoma in the Big 12 Championship.
@#11 UCF -7.5 vs #19 Cincinnati . 23-0!
@#8 Washington St -10 -9.5 vs Arizona.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Effin' Terps! Gave it their best shot and made it a good game, but they're just like the damn 'Heels and will break your heart if you believe in them.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:00 pm
Effin' Terps! Gave it their best shot and made it a good game, but they're just like the damn 'Heels and will break your heart if you believe in them.
So close, but I don't blame them for going for 2.
Vrede too wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:50 pm
Go:

@Maryland +14.5 vs #9 Ohio St. I can dream about knocking it out of the top 10. OSU 52-51 in 1OT. The win would have been sweet, but forcing OT and beating the spread are excellent. OH St should drop in the polls, but probably won’t. :x
#24 Northwestern -2.5 vs @Minnesota. Yep. :thumbup:
Citadel +52 vs @#1 Alabama. C'mon, CitaDel, hold Alabama to just 50. Yep. :thumbup:
@#15 Florida -40 vs Idaho. Is it really running up the score if they do it in the first half and then back off?
@Oklahoma St (ugh) +4.5 vs #7 West Virginia. Knock it out of the top 10. For some reason Vegas changed the spread to 6.5 after Yahoo! posted its final spread. I switched my bet to #7 West Virginia -4.5 vs @Oklahoma St.
@Colorado +7.5 vs #21 Utah. Knock it out of the top 25. Nope. Colorado started 5-0, has since gone 0-6. :(
Middle Tenn St lost to @#20 Kentucky but beat the spread by 5, nice.
@Colorado St comes back to win the game vs #14 Utah St. and beat the spread by 29 with 1:36 left! Excellent. Utah St drives and wins with a TD with 0:43 left. Oh well, I’ll take the spread win. OMG, Colorado St’s Collin Hill passed to Preston Williams for 35 yard walk-off touchdown . . . then rescinded due to an illegal touch. Oh well, I’ll take the spread win.

I start 7-0!, then go 1-2. I'm in the lead by 1 over 2 players.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
#12 Syracuse +10.5 vs @#3 Notre Dame. Top 10, baby! I'll bet this was supposed to be a powder puff game for Notre Dame. Best game of the day?
Not even close. :( Oh well, there are worse things to me than Notre Dame in the playoffs, just mediocre USC left to go.

I'm tied with one other for the lead at 8-3.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:52 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:29 pm
The Liberty U Flames? Do the cheerleaders twril pitchforks? ...
Idk, but even they dress racier than Leo Lyons can handle.

And the quarterback's name is Buckshot. His given name is Buckshot.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:51 pm
The roster says that a given name is Stephen, but his middle name may still be Buckshot.

Congrats on your hard fought, narrow win. ;) Gonna beat 'Bama?
Vrede too wrote:
#22 Boston Coll -1.5 vs @Florida St. FSU is 4-6. This game and/or Florida next week will keep it out of the Bowls. Crap, FSU wins by 1 and beats the spread by 2.5 on a beautiful 74 yard pass with 1:49 to go. I hate that obnoxious chant.
@Oklahoma St (ugh) +5 +4.5 vs #7 West Virginia. Knock it out of the top 10. For some reason Vegas changed the spread to 6.5 after Yahoo! posted its final spread. I switched my bet to #7 West Virginia -4.5 vs @Oklahoma St. That was dumb of me, Oklahoma St wins with 0:42 left. At least the West Virginia loss doesn’t bother me. Go Cougars!
UMass +41.5 vs @#5 Georgia. I knew they were better than 44. :D UMass fought back to eke out a 2.5 point spread win, cool.
@#17 Washington -33 vs Oregon St. Got the win, not the spread. :(
I've just gone 1-5, 2-7 since my 7-0 start, and have dropped into a 5-way tie for 2nd, 4! behind the leader. I'm like Colorado. In theory I could still tie for 1st with 6 games left to go, but I'm really playing for 2nd or a share of it.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Duke +28.5 vs @#2 Clemson. Duke misses the spread by 0.5. Really? Doesn’t really affect us at the top, though.
Kansas +35.5 vs @#6 Oklahoma. Yep. Once again, OK scores points but its defense sucks against an unranked team. IMNVHO, it, WV and OH St all took themselves out of the playoff conversation today.
Rice +42 vs @#10 LSU. I knew they were better than 44. :D Rice beats the spread by 3.
@#13 Texas -3 vs #18 Iowa St. Ames is in the district that just reelected Nazi Rep Steve King. At the moment it looks like West Virginia, Texas and Iowa State are all battling for the nod to play Oklahoma in the Big 12 Championship. Yes! TX should have it easy vs KS to end the season. OK plays at WV. I THINK that the winner of that game plays TX for the Big 12 crown.
@#11 UCF -7.5 vs #19 Cincinnati . 23-0! Alright, 23-0, 23 games with over 30 scored! Pretty good year for the team’s new coach.
@#8 Washington St -9.5 vs Arizona.
OMG, I go 4-0 down the stretch, the leader goes 1-3. If Washington St beats the spread, I tie for first. If Arizona beats the spread, I take solo 2nd. It's looking great for me barely into the 2nd quarter, 28-7.

Edit: 55-14 at the half, 404 yards of offense! We'll go 14-8 (odd day for me: 7-0, 2-8, 5-0), $45, I'll be $2.20 away from break even on the season with 2 weeks left to go.

Edit #2:
Washington St's Gardner Minshew II - 43 for 55, 78.2%!, 473 yards!, 8.6 yards per attempt, 7 TDs!, 0 INTs, 2 sacks for 7 yards lost, 192.4 QB rating! Heisman Trophy?

I'm in 6th out of 18 for season money - one shared 2nd, one solo 2nd, this week's shared 1st - 10th for season points at 16 out of the lead. 1st or 2nd are almost certainly unattainable, but 3rd ($15 back) might be possible.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

"#11" UCF (22-0) beats #19 Cinncinnati (9-2) 38-13.
Hopefully that win won't cost them more than 1-2 places in the ummmm "rankings" :roll:

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:08 am
"#11" UCF (22-0) beats #19 Cinncinnati (9-2) 38-13.
Hopefully that win won't cost them more than 1-2 places in the ummmm "rankings" :roll:
I assume that Michigan will stay #4. If it was up to me, I would jump Washington St past Oklahoma, LSU and definitely WV, and move UCF up some. Then, there’s GA. It has beaten AP #15 FL and #20 KY and got stomped by #10 LSU 16-36. Washington St has beaten #21 Utah and barely lost to unranked USC. GA still wins that matchup, I guess, until AL humiliates it and Washington St beats #17 Washington.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:10 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:51 pm
The roster says that a given name is Stephen, but his middle name may still be Buckshot.

Congrats on your hard fought, narrow win. ;) Gonna beat 'Bama?

It's on his "florida" birth certificate.

https://www.newsadvance.com/townnews/sp ... a3bfd.html

"Steve Calvert had the perfect name in mind for his first son. The Florida native was working with fiber optics when his wife at the time, Kim, was pregnant with the couple's first child. He lobbied for Buckshot as his son's legal name. She didn't approve.

That's when the two compromised. His son would be named Stephen Buckshot Calvert. Buckshot was his legal middle name, rooted in Steve Calvert's interest in watching NASCAR and following his favorite driver, Buckshot Jones, on a weekly basis.

"Just something about that name, Buckshot, just drew me to him," Steve Calvert said. "For years I followed him and I said if I ever had a son, I would name him Buckshot."
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

Original "Buckshot" Jones wasn't that great of a driver. I could see why the wife would object and hold out for "Dale" or "Darryl" or "Cale"

http://brock.lastcar.info/2017/08/82501 ... s-his.html

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:09 am
... "Just something about that name, Buckshot, just drew me to him," Steve Calvert said. "For years I followed him and I said if I ever had a son, I would name him Buckshot."
... so that people across the country could laugh at his being the QB for 4-6 Liberty while getting skunked by Auburn.

He's from Plantation, Florida, which kinda fits.
1312. ETTD.