LSU +7 vs #10 Auburn
Texas +7.5 vs #12 Oklahoma
Memphis -3 vs #25 Navy, knock it out of the rankings
#21 Michigan St. -4 @Minnesota
Utah +13 @ #13 USC
#19 S. Diego St. -7.5 vs Boise St.
#5 Washington -17.5 @Arizona St.
#23 Stanford -10.5 vs Oregon, the Ducks ain't swimming this year

I'm unsure about #11 Miami (FL) -5.5 vs Georgia Tech, advice?
Tech, but only because I'm a fan and never liked Miami. Besides they lucked out a piss-poor win against terrible Gators last week.
This week's Gators will be sporting the ugliest uniforms in college football while claiming that green has always been one of their school colors.

lsu 7 points ? really? Will be serving up homemade corndogs on Saturday.

tip - fill a fairly narrow tall glass with batter for even coverage dipping
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: College football

Unread post by Vrede too »

Thanks, I'll go with Miami since you screwed me last week. ;) (not badly, all the leaders went with FL so the money results wouldn't have changed)

If I lose again, I'm giving up on you. :D
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:11 pm
Thanks, I'll go with Miami since you screwed me last week. ;) (not badly, all the leaders went with FL so the money results wouldn't have changed)

If I lose again, I'm giving up on you. :D
That's why I don't bet, i gave up on my football predictions long ago.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:05 am
That's why I don't bet, i gave up on my football predictions long ago.
I don't really make predictions, I figure the spread is more knowledgeable and researched than I'll ever be. So, I just pick for teams I like, or more often against teams I hate. Of course, I'm sucking this year, so maybe it's not a good strategy.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Carolina skates on 7-year "scandal"
https://www.insidehighered.com/news/201 ... -fraud-unc

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:34 pm
I saw the headline, was too disgusted to click.

Unranked , 22.5 point underdog Syracuse is 4 minutes away from BEATING #2 Clemson! Excellent.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

27-24! Dang, I didn't even watch it. The Orange (formerly the Orangemen) have seen and bested Clemson - send 'em to Alabama while they're hot.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:12 pm
O Really wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:34 pm
I saw the headline, was too disgusted to click.
Here's my two cents -
A university with the history and tradition of academic excellence as UNC shouldn't be offering courses that don't' present any academic challenge or value.

Back in the dark ages when I was at UNC, there were courses (and instructors) known to be good for building GPA (referred to as "crip" courses)

None of those were ever required for any degree program, as far as I know.

They were popular with athletes, and one such course I took included a guy you might have heard of, Bob McAdoo, but the majority in a class was not athletes.

Nobody could get a degree by taking only those courses, and the number of them that were true crip courses wasn't enough to fix a really bad grade average.

Betcha Maryland had those courses, too.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

I think there was bit more organized and extensive sleaze than your presentation, but I don't care enough to research and debate adequately with you.

The Cougars are losing early in smoky Berkeley. I'm gonna go to bed before I lose my 'Clemson sucks' buzz.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:37 pm
... The Cougars are losing early in smoky Berkeley. I'm gonna go to bed before I lose my 'Clemson sucks' buzz.
Good thing I did. Wow, two top 10 teams beaten by unranked teams, the spreads trashed by a joint 73.5 points. Great to see the reigning champ go down, too bad about the Cougars, good for the Huskies, Badgers, ‘Canes and other hopefuls. Our pool reflected the craziness. Just 3 started 2-0, 7 started 0-2, 7 including me 1-1.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
I think there was bit more organized and extensive sleaze than your presentation, but I don't care enough to research and debate adequately with you.
It's just as well. I don't have much interest in it either. Truth is, as much as I loved Carolina back in the day, after you've attended other schools, lived places where other schools get all the news coverage, pick up allegiances from where you live, friends, spouses, whatever...the identification with the "old school" starts to fade.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:29 am
Vrede too wrote:
It's just as well. I don't have much interest in it either. Truth is, as much as I loved Carolina back in the day, after you've attended other schools, lived places where other schools get all the news coverage, pick up allegiances from where you live, friends, spouses, whatever...the identification with the "old school" starts to fade.

Not where I come from. Once an alum, always a fan.

I worry that I pissed Boat off with my last bammer post - hope not, I enjoy his posts and invite him to trash Auburn at every chance. There is always next year.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:

The Cougars are losing early in smoky Berkeley. I'm gonna go to bed before I lose my 'Clemson sucks' buzz.
There seems to be more oversight recently, hopefully resulting in less bogus credits and degrees. One of the things Cam's Florida problems exposed was his and team's access to test questions and answers prior to the test.
I had a family member play at Auburn in the early 70s. Kickbacks everywhere, bogus classes and a bogus degree, but he immediately got a very high paying job in something unrelated to degree. Worked for him until the cocaine addiction took it all.

Who knows the real story of any school, but most Auburn players who go to the NFL before they get their degree come back to finish and graduate seems to indicate that something has changed.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

I'm still a fan of the brick and mortar U. that I didn't even graduate from, and MD which I never attended. Since I moved into NC and family went to UNC, I tried to be a UNC fan and succeeded for awhile. This whole cheating scandal soured that for me. Now, I'm rooting for the younger family going to Duke :shock: . It probably cheats just as much, but is smart enough to not get caught . . . yet.
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:20 am
... I worry that I pissed Boat off with my last bammer post . . .
I doubt it. He doesn't seem the type to run from trash talk, especially over sports, he's always disappeared for long stretches . . . and he still goes to his AL family gatherings. You can't be as bad as they are. ;) If anything, I'd guess that not having cons to beat up makes this forum less interesting to him.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:

[/quote]

Oh, I'm still a fan, but just not a very enthusiastic one. It's nice if the Heels win, too bad if they lose, but either way it doesn't affect my day very much. In the past 7 years or so we've mostly resided in NC, four hours from Chapel Hill, I haven't been there though we've traveled past several times. Haven't been in the Alumni Association for years. By Auburn standards, I guess I'm a very bad person.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:07 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:

Oh, I'm still a fan, but just not a very enthusiastic one. It's nice if the Heels win, too bad if they lose, but either way it doesn't affect my day very much. In the past 7 years or so we've mostly resided in NC, four hours from Chapel Hill, I haven't been there though we've traveled past several times. Haven't been in the Alumni Association for years. By Auburn standards, I guess I'm a very bad person.
[/quote]

Seems to have been a quote problem. Below is my response to O Really.

Not sure that you would exist - by Auburn standards, it's just too much fun to be a rabid fan for life.
I have never done the local Auburn club anywhere I've lived, but alumni dues gives me a few benefits as well as pretty good magazine and a window decal.

O Really
Admiral

Anybody attended any school will always exist on the fundraising list.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:21 pm
Anybody attended any school will always exist on the fundraising list.
As good of a cause as any

O Really
Admiral

Sorry about your Damn War Eagles, Billy.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:47 am
Some competitive games this week.

Go:

#8 Washington St. -14 @ California Ugh
Pittsburgh +12 vs #20 N.C. State Arrrgh, Pitt had the spread beat by 1 with 2 minutes left, knew that NCSU would run, allowed a 40 yard TD scamper.
West Virginia -3.5 vs #24 Texas Tech, knock it out of the rankings WV came back late from 18 down to win by 11, cool.
Kansas St. +6 vs #6 TCU, knock it out of the top 10 Nope
#17 Michigan -7 @Indiana, climb back up there Push
LSU +7 vs #10 Auburn Auburn is the 3rd top 10 team to go down. LSU ranked now?
Texas +7.5 vs #12 Oklahoma TX hangs on to beat the spread by 2.5, good enough.
Memphis -3 vs #25 Navy, knock it out of the rankings Push, Navy will be unranked.
#21 Michigan St. -4 @Minnesota
Utah +13 @ #13 USC
#19 S. Diego St. -7.5 vs Boise St.
#5 Washington -17.5 @Arizona St.
#23 Stanford -10.5 vs Oregon, the Ducks ain't swimming this year

I'm unsure about #11 Miami (FL) -5.5 vs Georgia Tech, advice? Miami wins on a chip shot walk-off (essentially) FG after a spectacular catch, but misses the spread. You were correct, bastard.
I'm in the middle of the pack. The five 1900 hour games ALL suck, the smallest spread is 24.
1312. ETTD.