Re: College football

Unread post by mike »

Yeah, that 'Bama game was a shocker. :shock:

Still, Notre Dame is undefeated. :D

mike
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread post by mike »

Ah, an Oregon fan, eh? They are impressive.

Before last night's game (and a bit during it), I was ready to dismiss them. They are the real deal.

SEC? Meh. But, remember, I live in Florida ... I have to pay attention. Everyone around here is a Florida fan, a Georgia fan or an Alabama fan. FSU is big, too, but they're not in the SEC.

Us Notre Dame fans are few and far between but I have two good friends who are also associated with the great 'Domers. :) (the rest are SEC adherents or FSU adherents)

AntiAlias
Pilot Officer

Unread post by AntiAlias »

GO BUCKEYES!

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Being an alum of UNC and the "U" football isn't my favorite college season. One alma mater is a has-been, the other a never-was. But no matter who you like, mascots and traditions don't get any better than Chief Osceloa and Renegade....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rylUAEg ... re=related

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Vrede wrote:Which "U"?

I hate FSU and its traditions.
Which "U"?? There's only one..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bungalow Bill
Ensign

Unread post by Bungalow Bill »

I'm more of an NFL fan, but I like Notre Dame, though more toward the casual end of the fan
spectrum than the rabid one. I doubt they'll go all the way this year, but they've been so mediocre
for so long, they've already done well enough. Wonder if this will be a one year thing or if they're
back on track for a while. Time will tell.

mike
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread post by mike »

All of us Notre Dame fans are attempting to be a bit muted in our praise but .... ND is 10 and OH! Image

I, too, am more of an NFL fan. Been a Green Bay fan for as long as I can remember.
And that's a long time. Image

Bungalow Bill
Ensign

They've already done so much better than they have for years, but it will be interesting
to see how far they can go. It's been a long while.

I'm a Steeler's fan, but I've gotten over that last Super Bowl loss. Pittsburgh has had a
pretty good run the last five or six years, so it's hard to complain too much.

AntiAlias
Pilot Officer

Bungalow Bill wrote:They've already done so much better than they have for years, but it will be interesting
to see how far they can go. It's been a long while.

I'm a Steeler's fan, but I've gotten over that last Super Bowl loss. Pittsburgh has had a
pretty good run the last five or six years, so it's hard to complain too much.
Tough break for Shittsburgh when Big Ben went down last night. Hope he gets better, but not before my Browns play them :)

Bungalow Bill
Ensign

The Browns? I don't think we'll even need a QB to beat them. :-H

AntiAlias
Pilot Officer

Bungalow Bill wrote:The Browns? I don't think we'll even need a QB to beat them. :-H
I guess we will see. Goddamn, I hate the Steelers, and their bandwagon fans. Present company excluded, I guess? Have you ever set foot in western Pennsylvania?

AntiAlias
Pilot Officer

This thread is about College football, so I will say this: The Buckeyes will beat Wisconsin this Saturday, and when they do, they will be fired up for The Game, and rout the hated School up North.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv0_EpF5SyY

Pardon my language, but fuck Michigan.

mike
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread post by mike »

AntiAlias wrote:Pardon my language, but fuck Michigan.
You're pardoned. :)
Notre Dame beat 'em ... 8-)

Bungalow Bill
Ensign

I'm a long time Steelers' fan. Remember there was quite a drought between the late
1970s and early 1980s teams and the mid 2000s teams. No Super Bowl wins for
about 25 years. Bubby Brister, Mark Malone, WR Weegie Thompson, et al. Lots of bad
years. I've never been to western Pennsylvania, though I spent a little time in south
central PA with relatives.

mike
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread post by mike »

Bungalow Bill wrote:I've never been to western Pennsylvania, though I spent a little time in south
central PA with relatives.
OK, way off-topic but, Bill, your response reminded me of this song ...

:D

Bungalow Bill
Ensign

I've never been to Spain either. I've got to get out more often.

mike
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread post by mike »

Vrede wrote:Good for ND, mike, but I'm depressed that it will likely be the SEC winner, AL or GA, that will also be in the "championship" game. I've become a temporary ND fan.
Cool! Image (even if it's only temporary) :)

ND, staying an independent, has hurt their chances of being in the BCS Championship game.

I'm still hoping they make it. Image

mike
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread post by mike »

Vrede wrote:They are BCS #1, if they beat USC can ND be kept out?
I hope not ... however, we'll see ...
Actually, all of the Top 10 teams, with the exception???? of undefeated Notre Dame what?!? ND beat Michigan, Michigan State et al , have run into a deep college football field. There are many other strong teams who can beat the best on a given night depending on performance and matchups. College football’s parity at the top continues to get stronger.

It’s why the polls and rankings are useless in determining a national championship.

Consider a side-by-side schedule comparison with Notre Dame and the best three teams from the best three conferences (though it’s now debatable whether Georgia, Stanford, and Oklahoma are the best teams in their conferences). Each team’s opponents will be listed from best to worst with week 12 BCS rankings to compare relative strengths of schedules.
link ...

More ...
When Notre Dame last won a football game that made the Irish the No. 1 team in the country, 19 long years ago, then-coach Lou Holtz received a congratulatory phone call from President Bill Clinton.

"We talked a little about NAFTA," Holtz cracked then.

It has been awhile since the world noticed Notre Dame football for being the best. Nobody expects President Obama to call or even tweet Brian Kelly now that Notre Dame finally returned to the top Sunday for the first time since Nov. 14, 1993 — 317 Associated Press polls ago. But the prevailing thought after Kansas State and Oregon fell Saturday night — the first time in five years the Nos. 1 and 2 teams lost the same weekend — was that the events turned the Bowl Championship Series upside down.
link ...

I especially liked this part of the article ...
This is where Notre Dame should be, on the pedestal it puts itself, living up to its own lofty standard. This is where the program belongs more than once every 19 years and shouldn't vacate again next Sunday until 2031. This is who they are and where they expect to be, looking at everybody else pressing their noses to the glass. This is the elevated status Notre Dame must attain to justify making all those decisions to remain independent in football.

mike
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread post by mike »

I can remember being at the Ocala Hilton and watching Lou Holtz (when he was coaching at South Carolina) and his coaching entourage walk into the dining room.

My date, at the time, wondered what I was going on about and why I thought it was so cool to be 10 feet away from this guy (Lou Holtz).

I told her, "He won a National Championship at Notre Dame!"

I really don't think she understood a true 'Domer. :D