NFL Football

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: NFL Football

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Here's What Peyton Manning Had to Say About Cam Newton's Quick Postgame Interview

After a 24-10 loss to the Denver Broncos at Levi’s Stadium, Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton kept his post-game comments brief. When asked about his thoughts on the disappointing loss, Newton told reporters that his Panthers were just outplayed.

“They just played better than us,” the 26-year-old quarterback said, according to ESPN. “I don’t know what you want me to say. They made more plays than us, and that’s what it comes down to. We had our opportunities.”

On what led to the Carolina Panthers’ loss, Newton said, “It wasn’t nothing special that they did. We dropped balls, we turned the ball over, gave up sacks, threw errant passes. That’s it. They scored more points than us.” Newton had little to say after that, shaking his head and saying, “I’m done, man.”

Many football fans took the football player’s disappointment as classlessness, voicing their opinions on social media....

However, Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning saw things differently.

“I’ll tell ya’, Cam couldn’t have been nicer to me,” the 39-year-old athlete told TODAY Monday morning. “He was extremely humble, congratulated me, wished me the best. I told him just congratulations on his outstanding season, and just what a great future he has ahead of him. He’ll be back in that game, I can promise you.” ...
Cam also showed his smile when he met Peyton at mid-field
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Peyton Manning's mention of Budweiser after the Super Bowl may not have been so innocent after all

It's a shame, neither QB was as classy as they could have been after the game.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- MSNBC pundit
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

-- MSNBC pundit
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:Brady suspension overturned... http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf ... /71504142/

I'm not a particular fan of New England or Brady, but I'm even less of a fan of Goodell, et. al. Without regard as to whether Brady did in fact have anything to do with deflating balls (and I'm guessing he did), Goodell set out from the first to railroad him into kangaroo court. Bad NFL reaction when the softer balls were first reported; clumsy "investigation"; no independent review; hear an "appeal" of his own decision - yeah, right. I can hear it now, "upon further review, my decision of last month is overturned..."
Report: Tom Brady got 'hammered' in the Deflategate appeal hearing, and he might be in trouble

Deflate-gate: A Tom Brady suspension is back on the table
-- MSNBC pundit
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

The decision will be what it will be. I still stand by my opinion on the process.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Yeah, it's a mess that it's gone on this long and ain't close to over.
-- MSNBC pundit
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

I didn't really follow the story, so correct me where I'm wrong

1 All professional quarterbacks can accurately judge the inflation level of a ball
my son could accurately estimate a basketball inflation before he was 12

2 softer balls are easier to grip, throw and catch, but not to kick

3 the balls were taken into a bathroom for long enough to deflate

4 all balls were deflated except the one reserved for kicking

5 Brady (and peyton) were involved in supporting the rule change allowing teams to maintain their own balls

6 involved in the actual deed or not, Brady knew the balls were deflated (see #1) and didn't say anything - therefore he is guilty of cheating

he will likely get off, but you would have to be an "oj is innocent batshit crazy idiot" to support the idea that he didn't know
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:... 5 Brady (and peyton) were involved in supporting the rule change allowing teams to maintain their own balls

Could be, I don't know. I had thought it was always done that way.

he will likely get off ...

I don't know, but the latest court hearing suggests that the NFL may be prevail . . . someday.
Otherwise, I think you are correct.
-- MSNBC pundit
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... footballs/

2006 Brady and Peyton pushed the rule change to let them bring and manage their own balls

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Ah, thanks.
... In 2006, Brady and Peyton Manning successfully lobbied the league to let every team provide its own footballs to use on offense. Prior to that, it was always the home team that supplied the footballs, which meant that road team quarterbacks didn’t get to try the footballs out until pregame warmups....
It should never have been a team thing and I think the NFL manages the balls now.
-- MSNBC pundit
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

The NFL may institute a 15-yard penalty for racial slurs, as if the Redskins didn't have enough to deal with already.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Buddy Ryan, defensive mastermind, has died at age 85

RIP. You could be a jerk, but I liked you.
-- MSNBC pundit
1312. ETTD.

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Seth Milner »

Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Seth Milner wrote:Image
Enjoy this post of seth Milner misunderstanding racism and the right to free speech.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

-- MSNBC pundit
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Ryan, Jones set records as Falcons beat Panthers 48-33

Matt Ryan and Julio Jones brought down some team records - and the defending NFC champions.

Ryan shredded Carolina's defense, passing for a team-record 503 yards and four touchdowns, Jones had 12 receptions for a Falcons-record 300 yards, and Atlanta overwhelmed the struggling Panthers 48-33 on Sunday....
I favor the Panthers - too bad the defense missed the bus to Atlanta - but that was impressive!
-- MSNBC pundit
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Supreme Court rejects trademark appeal from Washington ********

Sell all the Washington ******** paraphernalia you want. There’s nothing Dan Snyder can do about it.

For now.

The Supreme Court rejected an appeal by the ********, who hoped to reverse an earlier U.S. Patent and Trademark Office ruling that canceled the team’s trademarks based on a policy that “prohibits registration of marks that may disparage persons or bring them into contempt or disrepute.” ...
Awwww.
-- MSNBC pundit
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Does the NFL have a dog in this trademark fight? Usually if you get something with an NFL team name/logo on it, it has to be NFL-authentic or they have to change it in some way, like different typeface, a made-up pic, or something. It would be interesting to see what would happen if somebody tried to sell a direct copy knock-off of a 'Skins helmet for half the NFL price.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

I don't know for sure, but my reading of it is that there's no trademark protection and the NFL can't claim jurisdiction unless an NFL logo is also being used on the item. For half the price or whatever, I doubt that fans will care that there's no "NFL" on the gear.
-- MSNBC pundit
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

If ownership is smart they'll use this opportunity to change the team name, something that's gonna happen eventually, anyhow. They can whine that it's the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and SCOTUS' fault, and many fans will understand since big money is at stake.
-- MSNBC pundit
1312. ETTD.