If anyone cares. Police and Insurance Co.

Colonel Taylor
Marshal

If anyone cares. Police and Insurance Co.

Unread post by Colonel Taylor »

Had a sit down with a friend/neighbor who was burglarizes a while back and was not treated very well by either his ins co. or the local PD. The police did recover some of his items but will not return them, OK why? He has no proof they are his even though they were described perfectly. OK he could live without some of them so to the ins, co. Same BS do you have any proof of the value of what was stolen? They want receipts, pictures with model and serial numbers and asked for pictures. His claim is still being appealed with the company.:crazy:
So off I went to the local PD and have a sit down with a young gentleman who was very polite. I ask why they will not return some of the items if they were his. Answer was we have an entire room full of items that folks can't get back because they have no proof. "We have victims leaving here in tears because we can't return G-G granddad's pocket watch because there's no proof it's theirs. We have firearms here that we can't return to victims because the have no serial number, we have a table stacked with jewelry that people have no ID for. He also said that the ins. co. story is true as this is their new way out.
His only suggesting for the future was to go back and write mod number. serial number and description on an index card put it next to the item and take pictures and send them to a relative for safe keeping.
Does anyone here do this???????
I started over the weekend!

Mr.B
A bad person.

Re: If anyone cares. Police and Insurance Co.

Unread post by Mr.B »

This is an unreal nightmare, but I see their point. Over the years, it's been said over and over to record model/serial numbers or take photos. I'm way behind on logging my inventory. This should serve as a wakeup call!

OTOH, insurance companies see this oversight as a great opportunity not to have to pay out on claims.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Colonel Taylor wrote: Does anyone here do this???????
That's agood idea Colonel - insurance companies have encouraged something like that for years. In addition to identification, it helps remember what you have. But im thinking there's more to the story than you got. It's just not in the cops interest to keep rooms full of stuff that they cant get rid of soon if ever when they havea reasonable identification of the item. It is also not in the best interest of the insurance companies to never pay a claim that is reasonably substantiated. Not saying your friend didn't get treated badly over his break-in. Just saying there's more to the story.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:... there's more to the story.
Coincidentally, that's Kernel Failure's motto.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

I'm guessing the cop was probably the same guy who wouldnt open the store early for Det.Thorn. :lol:

Colonel Taylor
Marshal

O Really wrote:
That's agood idea Colonel - insurance companies have encouraged something like that for years. In addition to identification, it helps remember what you have. But im thinking there's more to the story than you got. It's just not in the cops interest to keep rooms full of stuff that they cant get rid of soon if ever when they havea reasonable identification of the item. It is also not in the best interest of the insurance companies to never pay a claim that is reasonably substantiated. Not saying your friend didn't get treated badly over his break-in. Just saying there's more to the story.
As far as my friend no not much more to the story. But I may feel biased being I know him though and seems as though this may be how they operate.
Heck who can properly ID much of what's in their home beyond a basic description?
Last edited by Colonel Taylor on Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

O Really
Admiral

Colonel Taylor wrote:
O Really wrote:
As far as my friend no not much more to the story. But I may feel biased being I know him though and seems as though this may they operate.
Heck who can properly ID much of what's in their home beyond a basic description?
I don't know how the cops work, but I've seen a lot of instances where somebody has recovered their stuff. I'd think that if I reported a bike stolen off my truck and described it as a red Trek mountain bike modek 4200 and said it had some road rash and rack scruffs on the frame - and they found one like that and arrested a guy, I'd expect it to be returned. Maybe different if they had some bikes and I go down there and say "that's mine" Probably more proof needed.

Sometime Lefty
Flight Lieutenant

Unread post by Sometime Lefty »

A long time ago we learned to photograph the house and all our belongings before every hurricane season. Later we videoed the inside and outside showing our stuff and the shape it was in. If you buy something legitimately you could prove you own it with the paperwork, everyone saves their receipts and credit card statements right? With photos and a receipt you could prove it belongs to you. On the other hand if you buy stolen stuff you won't be able to prove ownership, right Colonel Taylor?

Colonel Taylor
Marshal

Sometime Lefty wrote:A long time ago we learned to photograph the house and all our belongings before every hurricane season. Later we videoed the inside and outside showing our stuff and the shape it was in. If you buy something legitimately you could prove you own it with the paperwork, everyone saves their receipts and credit card statements right? With photos and a receipt you could prove it belongs to you. On the other hand if you buy stolen stuff you won't be able to prove ownership, right Colonel Taylor?
Wouldn't know I don't buy stolen stuff, although I have had offers. You?
Being a business owner for years there is nothing more disgusting then someone who steals or takes something that's not theirs.
If someone steals a 50.00 item you don't have to sell 50.00 worth of merchandise but 50.00 in profit which may be 500.00 or more in sales to replace a 50.00 item. I had all kinds of allegories hanging in my shop.

Colonel Taylor
Marshal

O Really wrote:
Colonel Taylor wrote:
O Really wrote:
As far as my friend no not much more to the story. But I may feel biased being I know him though and seems as though this may they operate.
I don't know how the cops work, but I've seen a lot of instances where somebody has recovered their stuff. I'd think that if I reported a bike stolen off my truck and described it as a red Trek mountain bike modek 4200 and said it had some road rash and rack scruffs on the frame - and they found one like that and arrested a guy, I'd expect it to be returned. Maybe different if they had some bikes and I go down there and say "that's mine" Probably more proof needed.
I have had very little interactions with insurance companies and the one time was a big one and it was the biggest headache and they wore me out with the endless BS so I could see them not paying anything.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

Today I took pictures of all my valuables and their serial number plates (where applicable); they're now on an SD card. :thumbup:

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Mr.B wrote:Today I took pictures of all my valuables and their serial number plates (where applicable); they're now on an SD card. :thumbup:
What if someone steals your SD card?
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

JTA wrote:
Mr.B wrote:Today I took pictures of all my valuables and their serial number plates (where applicable); they're now on an SD card. :thumbup:
What if someone steals your SD card?
That's when I call on my Muslim friends..."Oh Shiite...!"

It's going in my safe deposit box. :D