Local Investing

Reality
Wing commander

Re: Investing

Unread post by Reality »

Why you capitalist! Who would have thunK?

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

I have two diamond mines and a gold mine.....thinking about hiring some idle miners shortly.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

neoplacebo wrote:I have two diamond mines and a gold mine.....thinking about hiring some idle miners shortly.

I hear pat robertson uses slaves, maybe he would rent you some
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

nobody
Red Shirt

Unread post by nobody »

Is this a supplier owned coop or a buyer owned coop?

Red Shirt

Unread post by Guest »

nobody wrote:Is this a supplier owned coop or a buyer owned coop?
Chicken coop.

Correct me if I'm wrong, shouldn't that be 'Co-op', or 'Co-Op' ? Just askin'.

Tertius
Squadron Leader

Unread post by Tertius »

Since I an not a NC resident I am not elegable. I am sure my opinion will be dismissed. I see no incentive to buy the $250 common stock buy in since there is no where to create a market for the shares. You are buying a club membership. Since the incentive then becomes keeping prices low to draw members the preferred share holders are not likely to see any dividends. Again there will be little market for the re-selling of preferred shares you are likely stuck with them.

So if you feel like joining an organic grocery store club, give them $250. If you want to contribute to the project in $1000 increments then buy some preferred shares. Just be reminded you are likely to see few if any dividends.

Call this anything you like but to call it an investment is fraud. That is my opinion. If you don't like my opinion then go all in.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

For me these are most important facts about investing:

- Those who turned industry-wide mortgage fraud into industry-wide investment fraud, are still running the show with no punishment. Of course the same went for the S&L crisis, so the new fraud should not have come as a surprise.

- Standard & Poors and the other bond rating agencies whose job it was to look out for investors' interests, were instead in on the scams. They have not been punished either. Though to demonstrate their new "honesty", they downgraded America's credit rating.

- Having learned what they can get away with - a lot - it's only a matter of time before they do it again.

- Investing in the stock market works as long as everyone plays by the rules. Those in charge haven't been playing by the rules, nor will they.

- Buy land. They've stopped making it.

Tertius
Squadron Leader

Unread post by Tertius »

rstrong wrote:For me these are most important facts about investing:

- Those who turned industry-wide mortgage fraud into industry-wide investment fraud, are still running the show with no punishment. Of course the same went for the S&L crisis, so the new fraud should not have come as a surprise.

- Standard & Poors and the other bond rating agencies whose job it was to look out for investors' interests, were instead in on the scams. They have not been punished either. Though to demonstrate their new "honesty", they downgraded America's credit rating.

- Having learned what they can get away with - a lot - it's only a matter of time before they do it again.

- Investing in the stock market works as long as everyone plays by the rules. Those in charge haven't been playing by the rules, nor will they.

- Buy land. They've stopped making it.
The stock market has worked well for me. Of course I was not stupid enough to buy, banks, mortgage companies, or anything to do with real estate.

When the mutual fund companies made such poor decisions in 2000 and 2001 based on Y2K hype, I knew I could beat them. And I have.

It is so simple. ask yourself what are the things people must have. Then buy financially safe companies around those products. Example do not buy food, toys, computer stuff. Buy a packaging company. As much as you hate them nothing happens without energy. Everything must get from where it is made to where it is used_transportation.

Good luck even if I don't like you. I don't base my happiness on another's fortunes.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Tertius wrote:It is so simple. ask yourself what are the things people must have. Then buy financially safe companies around those products.
Fair enough, but that includes energy, and Enron was "financially safe" by virtually all reports. Investors lost everything.

There were people who had their retirement funds with the smaller, long-established local hydro companies they worked for. Enron bought up those companies, and those retirement funds disappeared.

There's a long history of companies considered financially safe, making things that people must have, that nevertheless go under - and not because of a changing market or new competition.

Reality
Wing commander

Unread post by Reality »

Vred makes a post about investing and doesn't know the difference between a Co-op and a coop. Sure, "coop" is short for co-op if you drop the hyphen and convince yourself of being right.

Tertius
Squadron Leader

Unread post by Tertius »

rstrong wrote:
Tertius wrote:It is so simple. ask yourself what are the things people must have. Then buy financially safe companies around those products.
Fair enough, but that includes energy, and Enron was "financially safe" by virtually all reports. Investors lost everything.

There were people who had their retirement funds with the smaller, long-established local hydro companies they worked for. Enron bought up those companies, and those retirement funds disappeared.

There's a long history of companies considered financially safe, making things that people must have, that nevertheless go under - and not because of a changing market or new competition.
I never considered Enron. It never showed up after I ran a screen. Likely because its yield was too low. So it never showed up as a financially safe company.

Regardless never put all your eggs in one basket. People that did that lost everything. I feel sorry for them. They based their dreams on a pig in a poke. They lost every thing because of their own bad judgement.

nobody
Red Shirt

Unread post by nobody »

Vrede wrote:Tertius, did you notice:
Vrede wrote:Tertius mistakenly looked at the 2nd "owner/member" link, rather than at the 1st "investor" link...
Care to revise your "fraud" post above?
I'm confused. Will people lose their money or not?

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Turdybus says don't put all your eggs in one basket (or bucket, if you're Mitt). I know of people who have put all their eggs in one basket / bucket and done quite well.....if you put all your eggs in the gold basket / bucket, you'd be in high cotton. In 1929 you could go down and buy a new car with 10 twenty dollar gold coins (approx 10oz of gold, the coins being 90% gold and 10% silver) and you can still do that today.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

nobody wrote:
Vrede wrote:Tertius, did you notice:
Vrede wrote:Tertius mistakenly looked at the 2nd "owner/member" link, rather than at the 1st "investor" link...
Care to revise your "fraud" post above?
I'm confused. Will people lose their money or not?
Yes, and yes.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede wrote:Yes, maybe, maybe. Might make money, too.

And a "No" in answer to my question.
Probably looking for that basket......

Tertius
Squadron Leader

Unread post by Tertius »

neoplacebo wrote:Turdybus says don't put all your eggs in one basket (or bucket, if you're Mitt). I know of people who have put all their eggs in one basket / bucket and done quite well.....if you put all your eggs in the gold basket / bucket, you'd be in high cotton. In 1929 you could go down and buy a new car with 10 twenty dollar gold coins (approx 10oz of gold, the coins being 90% gold and 10% silver) and you can still do that today.
So you are a gold man. That gold is a commodity that has held its value. But int in the straight line most people think.

But many also own gold as a hedge against the world going chaos. My question is how are you going to buy milk, bread and eggs with gold?

I do not own any gold but do keep silver coins as part of my portfolio. Buying a bag of silver dimes that have no collector value seems a better doomsday hedge than an equal value of gold.

As a retirement investment gold carries a lot of negativity. There is the cost of redeeming. The buy-sell float. And, creating an income stream.

If you feel better having all your investment money in gold I am not going to tell you different. I do not give investment advice. I tell people what I am doing and how I am doing it. What you or anyone else does is none of my business.