Flat Rock Play House

bannination
Captain

Flat Rock Play House

Unread post by bannination »

They need $250,000 dollars, that's all I've heard on the news.... anyone have the reasons they are so far behind?

Colonel Taylor
Marshal

Re: Flat Rock Play House

Unread post by Colonel Taylor »

bannination wrote:They need $250,000 dollars, that's all I've heard on the news.... anyone have the reasons they are so far behind?
Since they are always in the need for money it means one of three things.

1) They can't make it and should shut down.

2) They have very bad management.

3) They know folks will throw money at them and are laughing all the way to the bank.

Supsalemgr
Major

Unread post by Supsalemgr »

I certainly have no inside info as to why FPH is in the fiscal condition it is. My first question is how has the downtown location impacted their fiscal situation?

Wneglia
Midshipman

Unread post by Wneglia »

bannination wrote:They need $250,000 dollars, that's all I've heard on the news.... anyone have the reasons they are so far behind?

The $250K is just to shore them up through the end of the year. They need $1M to get them on long term financial health

There are many reasons why they are in this situation, and the article above, explains most of them.

:mrgreen:

bannination
Captain

Good link Wneglia, thanks!

Anyone know if tickets really cost $76 per show?
McKibbin and Vincent Marini, the artistic producing director, trace the organization's financial trouble to a terrible financial year in 2010, when the theater came up 17,000 tickets short and lost $1.3 million.
1.3 Million / 17,000

Nevermind, answered my own question: http://purchase.tickets.com/buy/TicketP ... t_val=NUTC

Well, at first glance... something ain't adding up here....

Wneglia
Midshipman

Unread post by Wneglia »

bannination wrote:Good link Wneglia, thanks!

Anyone know if tickets really cost $76 per show?
McKibbin and Vincent Marini, the artistic producing director, trace the organization's financial trouble to a terrible financial year in 2010, when the theater came up 17,000 tickets short and lost $1.3 million.
1.3 Million / 17,000
Their regular ticket prices are $35 ($33 for seniors, like myself) :lol: and $25 for youngsters under 25. The Music on the Rock venue is $24 for all. Occasionally the prices are higher, like the Nutcracker which is $40.

I think the playhouse is a treasure for Western NC and deserves any support we can give it. I just made a generous donation on-line, and hope others would do also. I have attended productions on Broadway and by Broadway traveling shows, and can honestly say that FRP has talent that challenges these productions. I try to arrange my weekends up here in Hendersonville around the FRP schedule, so I can go to as many plays as possible.

The ticket prices don't cover all production costs, and donations make up the rest. I think the economy has hurt entertainment in general, and now that Obama is going to fix everything in his second term, things should look up for the Playhouse. :lol:

Here is a sample of what FRP has to offer
also
Zelda-An American Love Story

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Unread post by Leo Lyons »

I was told by a supposedly reliable source that FRP was definitely shuttering up for good. Everything I've heard since says differently; that they are only in dire financial straits. Time will tell.

Supsalemgr
Major

Unread post by Supsalemgr »

We certainly are not regulars, but I must say we have enjoyed the events we have attended. I agree with Doc that the productions are very well done. I have seen performances in NY and Chicago and the FRP is on par with those. All entertainment is struggling in today's economy. Just look here in our community with Etowah CC filing for bankruptcy. Golf courses and country clubs have really been hit and they certainly fall into the entertainment category. It is not going to get better anytome soon.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Wneglia wrote: I think the playhouse is a treasure for Western NC and deserves any support we can give it. I just made a generous donation on-line, and hope others would do also. I have attended productions on Broadway and by Broadway traveling shows, and can honestly say that FRP has talent that challenges these productions. I try to arrange my weekends up here in Hendersonville around the FRP schedule, so I can go to as many plays as possible.

Couldn't agree more. And I've joined the group that gets listed in the program and haul people over every chance I get. As to the talent, when you read the bios, not only are some equal to the B'way shows, but have themselves appeared in B'way shows.

Bungalow Bill
Ensign

Unread post by Bungalow Bill »

Perhaps it is a case of over expansion, doing too much too fast. I'm not worried though--
there's a sucker born every minute, so all FRP has to do it find 'em and skin 'em. I think
Vince is up to the task. :wave:

Wneglia
Midshipman

Unread post by Wneglia »

The production of Evita at the Flat Rock Playhouse was nothing short of spectacular. I have seen it on Broadway, and on the screen with Madonna, and the local production demonstrated that local theater is alive and well in North Carolina.

I can't wait until this weekend to see the production of Les Miserables which appears to be every bit as fabulous. The recent movie version was surprisingly well done, and in many ways was more visually appealing than the stage version, and Hugh Jackman was terrific.

Hopefully these productions, as well as the other coming attractions will put FRP back in the black, and will generate new interest in this local treasure.

Wneglia
Midshipman

Unread post by Wneglia »

Vrede wrote:Your call, Wneglia and/or banni, but this thread will stay on a front page far longer if you move it to the "Hendersonville/Asheville News" forum.
Works for me. Banni?

bannination
Captain

Makes sense to me!