Gun Legislation, Part 2

A properly run conservative forum with conservative mods. ;)
Post Reply
Oliver!
Red Shirt
Posts: 110
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:01 pm

Gun Legislation, Part 2

Unread post by Oliver! » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:16 am

O Really wrote:I always find it more disturbing when they say a shooter's firearms "were all purchased legally" than if he had stolen them or bought them black market. But in this case, it brings up an interesting question. The guy had 40 guns, all "legal" but nobody - family, friends, gun shop people - found that peculiar in the least? So let's say that for all intents and purposes, he was just another "good guy with a (big collection of) gun." Just exactly the type of guy the NRA buys Congressmen to protect. It would appear, with the evidence available today, that there is no way to tell the difference in a "good guy with a gun" and a potential mass shooter. Well, unless the guy with the gun is Black, Muslim, Mexican - then he's a bad guy. If he's wearing camo with an NRA patch - then he's a good guy. I think I've got it.
Therein lies the problem with our gun laws. The man had no police record and passed all legal qualifications and background checks required for gun ownership. My problem is with the necessity of anyone owning a firearm larger than a pistol for personal protection or a rifle or shotgun for hunting.
Weapons that can rapid fire are good for one purpose only and that's to kill people.

His wealth allowed him to purchase a number of weapons, all legally. Unfortunately, mental incapacity can't always be detected in a gun store, and it sure can't be legislated. I believe the only answer is to completely ban and outlaw possession of weapons that can be turned into WMD's.

User avatar
O Really
Captain
Posts: 8536
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:37 pm

Re: Gun Legislation, Part 2

Unread post by O Really » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:53 pm

Well, let's consider -
It isn't always possible to casually identify a sociopath - they're good at charming deception. But we could identify a guy who buys 40 guns, through either registration or consolidated sales records. Opps - NRA doesn't allow that. We could, without any Second Amendment conflict, make gadgets like the buck-stock illegal, or high volume magazines.. opps - NRA howls over any of that. We could... oh WTH, the NRA isn't going to tolerate ANY restrictions on ANY firearm or related equipment. So maybe we need to elect people the NRA doesn't own.

User avatar
bannination
Captain
Posts: 4183
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:58 am
Location: Hendersonville
Contact:

Re: Gun Legislation, Part 2

Unread post by bannination » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:06 pm

Oliver! wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:16 am
O Really wrote:I always find it more disturbing when they say a shooter's firearms "were all purchased legally" than if he had stolen them or bought them black market. But in this case, it brings up an interesting question. The guy had 40 guns, all "legal" but nobody - family, friends, gun shop people - found that peculiar in the least? So let's say that for all intents and purposes, he was just another "good guy with a (big collection of) gun." Just exactly the type of guy the NRA buys Congressmen to protect. It would appear, with the evidence available today, that there is no way to tell the difference in a "good guy with a gun" and a potential mass shooter. Well, unless the guy with the gun is Black, Muslim, Mexican - then he's a bad guy. If he's wearing camo with an NRA patch - then he's a good guy. I think I've got it.
Therein lies the problem with our gun laws. The man had no police record and passed all legal qualifications and background checks required for gun ownership. My problem is with the necessity of anyone owning a firearm larger than a pistol for personal protection or a rifle or shotgun for hunting.
Weapons that can rapid fire are good for one purpose only and that's to kill people.

His wealth allowed him to purchase a number of weapons, all legally. Unfortunately, mental incapacity can't always be detected in a gun store, and it sure can't be legislated. I believe the only answer is to completely ban and outlaw possession of weapons that can be turned into WMD's.
What's your definition of rapid fire?

Oliver!
Red Shirt
Posts: 110
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:01 pm

Re: Gun Legislation, Part 2

Unread post by Oliver! » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:26 am

bannination wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:06 pm
What's your definition of rapid fire?
Fully automatic or having capability to be converted to fully automatic.

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 10964
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am

Re: Gun Legislation, Part 2

Unread post by Vrede too » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:11 am

It seems that paddock used bump stocks, not anything fully automatic.
So many liberals, so little time. :P

Oliver!
Red Shirt
Posts: 110
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:01 pm

Re: Gun Legislation, Part 2

Unread post by Oliver! » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:39 am

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:11 am
It seems that paddock used bump stocks, not anything fully automatic.
'having capability'

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 10964
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am

Re: Gun Legislation, Part 2

Unread post by Vrede too » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:05 am

The pedantic ammosexuals as well as anyone writing potential law will quibble that one with you. Bump stocks don't mean "having capability to be converted to fully automatic". Still semi-auto, just very, very fast semi-auto. We'll see if bump stocks become illegal or heavily restricted like full-auto. I doubt it except maybe in a few deep blue states.
So many liberals, so little time. :P

User avatar
billy.pilgrim
Commander
Posts: 3535
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:44 pm

Re: Gun Legislation, Part 2

Unread post by billy.pilgrim » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:19 pm

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:05 am
The pedantic ammosexuals as well as anyone writing potential law will quibble that one with you. Bump stocks don't mean "having capability to be converted to fully automatic". Still semi-auto, just very, very fast semi-auto. We'll see if bump stocks become illegal or heavily restricted like full-auto. I doubt it except maybe in a few deep blue states.
The OK Senator this a.m. said that he had never heard of them, but has many respecpable friends who have fifty or sixty guns.
George Carlin said “The owners know the truth. It’s called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it.”

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 10964
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am

Re: Gun Legislation, Part 2

Unread post by Vrede too » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:33 pm

I stumbled upon a YT gunhugger video about bump stocks a couple of years ago or so. Otherwise, I would have been scrambling to learn about them in the past couple of days.
So many liberals, so little time. :P

User avatar
billy.pilgrim
Commander
Posts: 3535
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:44 pm

Re: Gun Legislation, Part 2

Unread post by billy.pilgrim » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:58 pm

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:33 pm
I stumbled upon a YT gunhugger video about bump stocks a couple of years ago or so. Otherwise, I would have been scrambling to learn about them in the past couple of days.

Yeah, but a senator from okeedokee who loves his guns and is a frontrunner in defense of a bastardised version of the 2nd should have known.
George Carlin said “The owners know the truth. It’s called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it.”

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 10964
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am

Re: Gun Legislation, Part 2

Unread post by Vrede too » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:41 pm

Not defending him, your post just sparked the recollection of my own introduction to the topic. It's generally not smart for a pol to publicly admit his ignorance, or to lie about having been ignorant.
So many liberals, so little time. :P

User avatar
billy.pilgrim
Commander
Posts: 3535
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:44 pm

Re: Gun Legislation, Part 2

Unread post by billy.pilgrim » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:26 pm

Where were all the good guys with guns today?

I seem to remember hearing that if only they were armed that there wouldn't be these mass shootings.
George Carlin said “The owners know the truth. It’s called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it.”

User avatar
O Really
Captain
Posts: 8536
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:37 pm

Re: Gun Legislation, Part 2

Unread post by O Really » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:26 pm

I read that one of them was the one who chased and maybe killed the shooter. I don't usually buy the "good guys with guns" argument for a variety of reasons, including that it makes it harder for law enforcement to know who the bad guy is, but really, in a close environment like that church, some armed and trained - emphasize trained - "good guys" might very well have been able to get him and save a few lives/injuries.

User avatar
billy.pilgrim
Commander
Posts: 3535
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:44 pm

Re: Gun Legislation, Part 2

Unread post by billy.pilgrim » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:29 am

O Really wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:26 pm
I read that one of them was the one who chased and maybe killed the shooter. I don't usually buy the "good guys with guns" argument for a variety of reasons, including that it makes it harder for law enforcement to know who the bad guy is, but really, in a close environment like that church, some armed and trained - emphasize trained - "good guys" might very well have been able to get him and save a few lives/injuries.

I've heard two stories
The guy who shot back was a neighbor who shot from his house
Someone inside the church took the shooters gun

Whichever it was, he flagged down a "good guy with a car" and they chased the shooter until he crashed
George Carlin said “The owners know the truth. It’s called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it.”

Post Reply