Computer Trouble - RAM? Processor?

JTA
Commander

Computer Trouble - RAM? Processor?

Unread post by JTA »

Hey everyone, just wanted to get a second opinion on my computer trouble before I proceed.

Background info: I dropped my laptop. When I tried to boot it up, it would get as far as the windows screen then restart into recovery mode. Ran diagnostics on the hard drive and everything appears ok, but decided to replace it anyway with a spare I had lying around just in case. I replaced the hard drive and tried to reinstall windows. Once it loads all files for the install and gets to the windows logo screen, the computer shuts off.

When I try to install Ubuntu it never gets to the install screen either. Just sits on a black screen.

So my thoughts are:

A) Could the RAM somehow have gotten damaged? I tried to run diagnostics on the memory but the computer shut off.
B) Since the computer seems to be shutting off a lot, is it possible the processor is screwed?
C) Could it be the motherboard?

Not sure if I should chance it and buy a stick of RAM (unfortunately I don't have any lying around), or just give up and consider this computer dead.
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

bannination
Captain

Re: Computer Trouble - RAM? Processor?

Unread post by bannination »

Just a quick thought that you've probably already checked, but are all the fan's working? (I'm thinking it could be overheating and shutting off to protect itself.)

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

bannination wrote:Just a quick thought that you've probably already checked, but are all the fan's working? (I'm thinking it could be overheating and shutting off to protect itself.)
Sure are. I even checked to see if there was any dust clogging them up.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

It's done.

I found some RAM, popped it in, tested it, got the same results. Must be something with the motherboard. Looks like it's time for a new laptop. DAMN!

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

JTA wrote:It's done.

I found some RAM, popped it in, tested it, got the same results. Must be something with the motherboard. Looks like it's time for a new laptop. DAMN!
Awwww, woe is you.
I got a new one not long ago to replace one that died. Fortunately, the one that died was an XP machine anyway. I'd suggest getting one with touch screen. I didn't think I'd use/like it particularly, but I do. Probably helps that I'm a tablet user, too.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

O Really wrote:
JTA wrote:It's done.

Awwww, woe is you.
I got a new one not long ago to replace one that died. Fortunately, the one that died was an XP machine anyway. I'd suggest getting one with touch screen. I didn't think I'd use/like it particularly, but I do. Probably helps that I'm a tablet user, too.
I found a "scratch and dent" Lenovo online for 250 with the same specs as my last machine. Any input on that brand? I've always went with Dells in the past but was hesitant to buy the newer model Inspiron since they feel cheaply made. We'll see how it goes with the Lenovo. First order of business is to drop it on the floor and see if it holds up, then I'll know if I've found a winner.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

I don't know anything about Lenovo except that they bought the IBM brand. Of course, that doesn't mean they're like the old IBM thinkpads, anymore than a Volvo or Jaguar was ever the same after Ford bought them and then sold them off to China and India. But a lot of people buy them.

My wife has an Inspiron, and if dropping it was cause for a new one, she'd be on her fifth or so within the past several weeks. Not really so much "dropping," but putting it somewhere it falls, or letting the cord run where the dog trips over it, or whatever. Anyway, it hits the floor a lot, apparently thus far unscathed.

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Boatrocker »

I have had a Lenovo G-series, G555, for over 3 years. It's been a good, reliable middle of the road machine for me, tho I don't game on it or do anything else intensive for the processor or vidao card.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Boatrocker wrote:I have had a Lenovo G-series, G555, for over 3 years. It's been a good, reliable middle of the road machine for me, tho I don't game on it or do anything else intensive for the processor or vidao card.
The one I purchased is a G series as well.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

O Really wrote:I don't know anything about Lenovo except that they bought the IBM brand. Of course, that doesn't mean they're like the old IBM thinkpads, anymore than a Volvo or Jaguar was ever the same after Ford bought them and then sold them off to China and India. But a lot of people buy them.

My wife has an Inspiron, and if dropping it was cause for a new one, she'd be on her fifth or so within the past several weeks. Not really so much "dropping," but putting it somewhere it falls, or letting the cord run where the dog trips over it, or whatever. Anyway, it hits the floor a lot, apparently thus far unscathed.
I must have dropped mine just right. I still can't figure out what the deal is, it has to be the motherboard. It's like it can load only so much into memory. When I put it a ubuntu disc I can get to the first menu, after I select the live CD option it never loads. It just sits on a black empty screen. Sort of the same behavior when I try to load Windows.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Vrede wrote:I got the extended warranty on my Mac laptop, something I almost never do. About a month before it expired the computer died and I got a new motherboard, monitor, keyboard and other stuff, essentially a new computer. :clap:
It's because you "dropped" it right before your warranty was up right?

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Vrede wrote:I have dropped it without problem but, no, it just died with excellent timing.
Don't worry your secret is safe with us.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Gather round, childrens. Let me tell you all a little story about how being a cheap bastard saved the day for ol' JTA...

Mr. Bannination, you were right.

The hard drive was bad and the processor was overheating.

I made a live ubuntu thumb drive, booted up, and everything appeared to be ok until my computer started heating up when I did processor intensive stuff which then caused my machine to shut down. I splurged, bought some new thermal paste and added it to the processor. No more overheating. Once that issue was resolved I decided to try to install Ubuntu from my thumb drive. Everything appeared to be working and the installation appeared to be successful. When i tried to boot up, Ubuntu bitched about a bunch of bad sectors. Bad hard drive! Swapped out the HDD with a known good one, installed Ubuntu (my dell recovery cd complains that I need at least a 500GB HDD...), and I'm able to boot up just fine.

So, 1) Thermal paste replacement and 2) Hard drive replacement saved the day. I guess the drop knocked the HDD just right (its like I can write to the HDD, but not read from it?) and chipped away some of the thermal paste.

bannination
Captain

Unread post by bannination »

JTA wrote:Gather round, childrens. Let me tell you all a little story about how being a cheap bastard saved the day for ol' JTA...

Mr. Bannination, you were right.

The hard drive was bad and the processor was overheating.

I made a live ubuntu thumb drive, booted up, and everything appeared to be ok until my computer started heating up when I did processor intensive stuff which then caused my machine to shut down. I splurged, bought some new thermal paste and added it to the processor. No more overheating. Once that issue was resolved I decided to try to install Ubuntu from my thumb drive. Everything appeared to be working and the installation appeared to be successful. When i tried to boot up, Ubuntu bitched about a bunch of bad sectors. Bad hard drive! Swapped out the HDD with a known good one, installed Ubuntu (my dell recovery cd complains that I need at least a 500GB HDD...), and I'm able to boot up just fine.

So, 1) Thermal paste replacement and 2) Hard drive replacement saved the day. I guess the drop knocked the HDD just right (its like I can write to the HDD, but not read from it?) and chipped away some of the thermal paste.

That's awesome!! :mrgreen: :clap: