cable modem or ISP?

JTA
Commander

cable modem or ISP?

Unread post by JTA »

I've been having some connectivity issues the past two days. Of course the ISP says there are outages in my area, but that's what they always sa so I believe that's b.s. Is there any way I can determine if its my cable modem that's good ng bad? Sometimes my connection is intermittent. If I ping a website I'll sometimes have a 100% success rate, other times it'll be 75%. Sometimes 25%. Sound like a bad modem?
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

JTA
Commander

Re: cable modem or ISP?

Unread post by JTA »

Vrede wrote:Is your ISP able to run a diagnostic on your modem remotely and have they tried?
Yeah, they tried that and said they couldn't see the modem on their end, so that led me to believe the modem was busted. Next morning my internet is fine. Today, no problems whatsoever. Friday night and Saturday night ~7-9PM is when the problem started happening.

No problems whatsoever today, so I'm not sure. Seems like if it was my modem it'd still be acting up.

Supposedly Charter had an outage last Friday and got it "resolved". Maybe something was still off leading to a lot of congestion or something. Like I said, if I tried to ping a website like www.yahoo.com, some packets would make it through as per usual, some would take a really long time, others wouldn't make it. So sometimes I'd have a 25% success rate, sometimes 75%, sometimes 100%.

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Boatrocker »

Here in my corner of SC, Charter has been very iffy for a couple of weeks- phone, cable and internet. Started with an unexplained, early-morning, clear weather Duke outage two weeks ago. In my experience, equipment like modems with few/no moving parts, either work or don't work, but you never know.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Its 7pm and my internet has gone to shit. Just like clockwork. Was fine all day.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Vrede wrote:Someone else at home using device/s?
. I monitored my traffic thinking maybe someone hijacked one of my machines and was using it to spam people or something, although I don't think that alone would cause my problem. Everything looked good.

I did a traceroute last night, and this morning when my internet was working fine. Seems like the first hop after my modem I have ~80% packet loss when stuffs not working, while during the day off peak hours it's ~1% ish supposedly.

Spoke with a neighbor a few streets down and they're having similar issues, so it's definitely gotta be my ISP. I have a tech coming out tomorrow which is going to be a complete waste of time, but maybe I can get some top secret info on whats going on and maybe they'll get it fixed.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Charter is out of whack again.

If your ISP is charter and you are affected by an internet outage, here is a possible temp solution.

Configure your router to use Google's public DNS server:

Then you should be able to access the internet again.

Get your act together Charter...

More Info: https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/