Windows 8 Mail Handler

O Really
Admiral

Windows 8 Mail Handler

Unread post by O Really »

I've been using the mail handler that came with Win8, after years of using Outlook. It works well except - big except - it files emails in a chain. I like Outlook's filing of straight chronological. The chain makes it hard to find something unless you remember who sent what to whom, and you have to use search. My problem is, I can't find anywhere to change the settings on how messages are filed. Does anybody know anything about this? If I can't get it fixed, I think I'll go back to Outlook.

bannination
Captain

Re: Windows 8 Mail Handler

Unread post by bannination »

O Really wrote:I've been using the mail handler that came with Win8, after years of using Outlook. It works well except - big except - it files emails in a chain. I like Outlook's filing of straight chronological. The chain makes it hard to find something unless you remember who sent what to whom, and you have to use search. My problem is, I can't find anywhere to change the settings on how messages are filed. Does anybody know anything about this? If I can't get it fixed, I think I'll go back to Outlook.
The newer versions of outlook do the same thing. I know it's optional in outlook, I'll look and see tomorrow where the option is to turn it off, and maybe it'll be similar for the default mail thingy in Win8.

O Really
Admiral

bannination wrote:
O Really wrote:I've been using the mail handler that came with Win8, after years of using Outlook. It works well except - big except - it files emails in a chain. I like Outlook's filing of straight chronological. The chain makes it hard to find something unless you remember who sent what to whom, and you have to use search. My problem is, I can't find anywhere to change the settings on how messages are filed. Does anybody know anything about this? If I can't get it fixed, I think I'll go back to Outlook.
The newer versions of outlook do the same thing. I know it's optional in outlook, I'll look and see tomorrow where the option is to turn it off, and maybe it'll be similar for the default mail thingy in Win8.
Thanks - yes I know it's optional in Outlook, but I choose it not. If everybody stuck to the subject, maybe it would be better, but they don't. Somebody will be forwarding or replying to an email from an old subject and it's totally about something else. Then when you're looking for it, you know who sent it, but how tf would you know to look for an email about a grievance issue that got tagged onto something named "Meeting Agenda"?

bannination
Captain

Unread post by bannination »

O Really wrote:
bannination wrote:
Thanks - yes I know it's optional in Outlook, but I choose it not. If everybody stuck to the subject, maybe it would be better, but they don't. Somebody will be forwarding or replying to an email from an old subject and it's totally about something else. Then when you're looking for it, you know who sent it, but how tf would you know to look for an email about a grievance issue that got tagged onto something named "Meeting Agenda"?
Try this? : http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/31835/wi ... tion-view/

O Really
Admiral

That worked - thanks!
At least after I figured out that a "Winkey" was the Windows Key :lol: