Screen Protectors

JTA
Commander

Screen Protectors

Unread post by JTA »

Yo.

Got a new galaxy S7. The screens are curved on the corners. I typically use tempered glass screen protectors. Unfortunately because of the way this shit phone is designed I can't use those... Unless you guys know of any?

Currently using a plasticy protector, but I'm afraid it won't protect my phone when I drop it.
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

O Really
Admiral

Re: Screen Protectors

Unread post by O Really »

You'd have to drop it pretty hard to damage the Gorilla Glass 4. I wouldn't worry about it.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

O Really wrote:You'd have to drop it pretty hard to damage the Gorilla Glass 4. I wouldn't worry about it.
Don't count on that. I've paid to replace my step-daughter's iPhone screen twice.

Reviewers testing Gorilla Glass screens inevitably do so on new phones with no scratches. Apparently it's not nearly as strong months later when the screen has picked up a few scratches that it can break along.

Trivia: "Gorilla Glass" used to be called "muscled glass" and was marketed by Corning as "Chemcor." It was used in approximately one hundred 1968 Dodge Dart and Plymouth Barracuda racing cars, where minimizing the vehicle's weight was essential. It fell out of use in the early 1990s, but was revived in 2005 for smartphones.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

I'll bow to your greater knowledge, but in my experience, reasonable care is enough. I used to use screen protectors until I got the S3 and started going naked. I never even got a scratch in the couple or three years I had it. Same with the S5. I keep it in front pocket (with keys to back side), rarely (but occasionally) drop it, and all is fine. Maybe JTA treats his like he treats his women :lol:

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

I've never had a broken screen myself, but a I said, I've paid for two replacements. And there's a booming business in 3rd-party iPhone screen replacements.

A salesman as a phone kiosk in the local mall told me that they're getting a lot of smashed S7 Edge screens. The glass sides make them more slippery to hold onto, and the wrapped screen means that people usually aren't using screen protectors with them.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

I think JTA may need armoring more than his phone does.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

bannination
Captain

Unread post by bannination »

Vrede too wrote:I think JTA may need armoring more than his phone does.
That's what his epic beard accomplishes.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

bannination wrote:That's what his epic beard accomplishes.
I didn't know that JTA is gay, nttawwt.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.