Unlock HotSpot

O Really
Admiral

Unlock HotSpot

Unread post by O Really »

I've got a Netgear aircard 770s that's on AT&T and has provided reliable 4Glt service for several years. For a variety of reasons, I decided to change to a T-Mobile plan. Here's the relevant events:

I looked on the T-Mobile website and entered my IMEI code. T-Mobile said yes, that device will work on T-Mobile network, but will require purchase of a SIM card.

So I went to the T-Mobile store, showed them my device said I wanted to use it to access T-Mobile network.

Kid on the desk said "we can't guarantee this device will work, but we'll put the card in and see.

With the new T-Mobile SIM card in, the device says "enter MEP unlock number."

Found instruction on AT&T site that said to call them, get the MEP number, then insert the new card. When the keypad comes up, enter the MEP code.

Called them (twice). They say they don't have/can't/won't give the MEP code for my device.

Went searching for an alternative and found the Cell Corner website http://www.cellcorner.com/xshp/home.php

Decided it was worth $32 to see if they could help me, went through the device identification process and ordered the code for my device.

So here's where my question comes in - what I need is an 8-digit code that unlocks the hotspot and allows it to work on networks other than AT&T.

What I got is access to some software that runs on my computer that, when also connected to my device, is supposed to be able to derive the code.

The software is "dc-unlocker-client" When I attempted to install, I got a Windows warning. Decided to ask for advice before over-riding.

Has anyone heard of this process? Is it reasonable that such software can derive the required un-lock code? Am I likely to screw up either my computer or my hotspot or both? Possibility of malware?

I could just get a T-Mobile hotspot for $79 and screwing up my computer isn't worth that, but I'd really rather keep the Netgear unit I have if I can get it to work properly.

Help me Obi-Wan-Techies. You're my only hope.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Unlock HotSpot

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 7:26 pm
... what I need is an 8-digit code that unlocks the hotspot and allows it to work on networks other than AT&T....
It's 'password'. :D
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

You laugh, but the default password for administrative access to this AT&T device was "attadmin."

O Really
Admiral

I asked them why I got software instead of the needed unlock code. They responded (quickly) that they didn't have/couldn't get the code for that device, so they sent me access to the software that should unlock it for me directly. I decided that if they couldn't do it, I probably couldn't either, and requested a refund. They refunded in about a day. So they didn't solve my issue, but are an upfront and honest company to deal with.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

O Really wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 8:41 am
I asked them why I got software instead of the needed unlock code. They responded (quickly) that they didn't have/couldn't get the code for that device, so they sent me access to the software that should unlock it for me directly. I decided that if they couldn't do it, I probably couldn't either, and requested a refund. They refunded in about a day. So they didn't solve my issue, but are an upfront and honest company to deal with.
Is there a statute of limitations for using another's login info?
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Y'all probably have this already, but it's mostly new to me.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CraxIQJA_hn ... MyMTA2M2Y=
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Useful websites

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:10 pm
Y'all probably have this already, but it's mostly new to me.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CraxIQJA_hn/
Thanks! "10 incredibly useful websites (all free)"

I tried:

Show me a 10ft paywall, I’ll show you a 12ft ladder.
Bypass any paywall

I couldn't get it to work :( . If anyone does, please let me know.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Re: Useful websites

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:53 pm

Wouldn't work on NYTimes or LATimes. Ill try it as the opportunity arises, but I don't have high hopes.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Useful websites

O Really wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:42 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:53 pm

Wouldn't work on NYTimes or LATimes. Ill try it as the opportunity arises, but I don't have high hopes.
Don't bother with WaPo or The Atlantic :( . I'm done searching, but will keep trying whenever I come upon a paywall.
1312. ETTD.