Yahoo Employees: No Longer Allowed to Work From Home

JTA
Commander

Yahoo Employees: No Longer Allowed to Work From Home

Unread post by JTA »

http://money.cnn.com/2013/02/25/technol ... ?hpt=hp_t1
"To become the absolute best place to work, communication and collaboration will be important, so we need to be working side-by-side," the memo said. "That is why it is critical that we are all present in our offices."

Mayer has said she wants Yahoo to move more quickly, with teams focusing on collaboration and communication. Clearly, Mayer thinks it's hard to make those connections when working remotely.
In a show of solidarity to my office-worker bretheren, I'm going to continue to not use Yahoo.
Mayer has said she wants Yahoo to move more quickly
Constantly being interrupted by co-workers is not conducive to getting things done more quickly.
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

rstrong
Captain

Re: Yahoo Employees: No Longer Allowed to Work From Home

Unread post by rstrong »

Yahoo is still around?

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Boatrocker »

I hate working from home and won't do it unless forced. I prefer to keep home, home and work, work, and ne'er the twain shall meet. The dress code is beyond compare (I once spent 6 hours checking bracing connection details in my skivvies), but I just don't like for home to feel like work.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

Crock Hunter
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread post by Crock Hunter »

I worked at home as a contract designer/programmer from 95-03 .. still do from time to time.. My wife runs her Medical Records Transcription service from home... the women (and man) that she employees all work from home.. and yes, keeping work work and home home is a challenge but if the type of work you do fits the model and with the tools available (PCs/ networks) it''s a sound business decision to work from home.

The new head mistress at Yahoo seems to be doing what most new managers do ... rearranging the furniture to appear as though they're doing something.. anyone working in a corporate environment has seen it before.. some level of insecurity I suppose..

I've always said that if you want to understand how Engineering works on a corporate level .. Read Dilbert.. It is amazingly close to reality..
`~~~:< .. Welcome to the Swamp.. .. Swim Fast..

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Boatrocker »

Crock Hunter wrote:. . . I've always said that if you want to understand how Engineering works on a corporate level .. Read Dilbert.. It is amazingly close to reality..
Oh, holy shit. People who laugh at the "ridiculous" aspects of Dilbert have never worked for a corporation of any size. I love Scott Adams and Dilbert, but sometimes it's hard to laugh at it.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Boatrocker wrote:I hate working from home and won't do it unless forced. I prefer to keep home, home and work, work, and ne'er the twain shall meet. The dress code is beyond compare (I once spent 6 hours checking bracing connection details in my skivvies), but I just don't like for home to feel like work.
This is part of the reason why I refuse to get a smart phone (aside from having to pay a little extra every month). If I do buy one, I'm definitely not setting it up to receive email from work.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Crock Hunter wrote: I've always said that if you want to understand how Engineering works on a corporate level .. Read Dilbert.. It is amazingly close to reality..
Most of meetings I've attended could have been better communicated with a two sentence email.

bannination
Captain

Unread post by bannination »

JTA wrote:
Crock Hunter wrote: I've always said that if you want to understand how Engineering works on a corporate level .. Read Dilbert.. It is amazingly close to reality..
Most of meetings I've attended could have been better communicated with a two sentence email.
You got that right.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

So if being "in the office" is so important, I guess nobody will have to work while traveling, or from a client office, eh?

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

An employee that can work from home, can be replaced by someone working from home on another continent.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

rstrong wrote:An employee that can work from home, can be replaced by someone working from home on another continent.
Have fun maintaining the garbage you get in return. :)

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

JTA wrote:
rstrong wrote:An employee that can work from home, can be replaced by someone working from home on another continent.
The security blog of Verizon has the story of an investigation into unauthorized VPN access from China which led to unexpected findings.

It turned out a company programmer with a six-figure income was paying a programmer in China 1/5th of his income to do his work for him, and spending his days watching cat videos and visiting eBay and Facebook.

"The best part? Investigators had the opportunity to read through his performance reviews while working alongside HR. For the last several years in a row he received excellent remarks. His code was clean, well written, and submitted in a timely fashion. Quarter after quarter, his performance review noted him as the best developer in the building."

bannination
Captain

Unread post by bannination »

rstrong wrote:
JTA wrote:
The security blog of Verizon has the story of an investigation into unauthorized VPN access from China which led to unexpected findings.

It turned out a company programmer with a six-figure income was paying a programmer in China 1/5th of his income to do his work for him, and spending his days watching cat videos and visiting eBay and Facebook.

"The best part? Investigators had the opportunity to read through his performance reviews while working alongside HR. For the last several years in a row he received excellent remarks. His code was clean, well written, and submitted in a timely fashion. Quarter after quarter, his performance review noted him as the best developer in the building."
For every story like that there are a million horror stories.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

rstrong wrote:
JTA wrote:

How many potatoes per month would it have cost this guy to outsource his job to Canada instead of China?

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

JTA wrote:How many potatoes per month would it have cost this guy to outsource his job to Canada instead of China?
Programmers make about the same here as in the Excited States. But our dollar fell below par two weeks ago, so he'd gain a couple cents on the dollar by subcontracting.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

rstrong wrote:
JTA wrote:How many potatoes per month would it have cost this guy to outsource his job to Canada instead of China?
Programmers make about the same here as in the Excited States. But our dollar fell below par two weeks ago, so he'd gain a couple cents on the dollar by subcontracting.
At least by outsourcing jobs Canada or China we can learn you guys some freedom.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

JTA wrote:At least by outsourcing jobs Canada or China we can learn you guys some freedom.
Or the other way round.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

rstrong wrote:
JTA wrote:At least by outsourcing jobs Canada or China we can learn you guys some freedom.
Or the other way round.
Exactly. The freedom to sit back and relax.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

If this CEO really wanted to increase productivity, she should enforce a stricter dress code. No more coming to work in t-shirts and jeans. Dress shirts and ties are a must. Looking pretty for your computer will do wonders for productivity.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Floggings will continue until morale improves. Always works. :roll: