IT Restrictions

O Really
Admiral

IT Restrictions

Unread post by O Really »

I've got a Galaxy S3. Good phone, but our firm's IT department makes it a requirement to use a PIN or password, as compared to the swipe or nothing. Bottom line, if I link with the firm's server (which I have to do), the device won't allow anything other than PIN or password. It's a pain in the ass to have to enter a PIN everytime you access the device (other than to answer a call). Anybody have a workaround for the IT requirements? I know I could root it and use a third party email server, but I know one guy did that and wasn't happy. Suggestions welcome.

Crock Hunter
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: IT Restrictions

Unread post by Crock Hunter »

O Really wrote:I've got a Galaxy S3. Good phone, but our firm's IT department makes it a requirement to use a PIN or password, as compared to the swipe or nothing. Bottom line, if I link with the firm's server (which I have to do), the device won't allow anything other than PIN or password. It's a pain in the ass to have to enter a PIN everytime you access the device (other than to answer a call). Anybody have a workaround for the IT requirements? I know I could root it and use a third party email server, but I know one guy did that and wasn't happy. Suggestions welcome.
If I understand.. you're trying to access your company email without signing into your company account?

Do you use other exchange services.. address book.. calendar?
`~~~:< .. Welcome to the Swamp.. .. Swim Fast..

O Really
Admiral

Crock Hunter wrote:
O Really wrote:I've got a Galaxy S3. Good phone, but our firm's IT department makes it a requirement to use a PIN or password, as compared to the swipe or nothing. Bottom line, if I link with the firm's server (which I have to do), the device won't allow anything other than PIN or password. It's a pain in the ass to have to enter a PIN everytime you access the device (other than to answer a call). Anybody have a workaround for the IT requirements? I know I could root it and use a third party email server, but I know one guy did that and wasn't happy. Suggestions welcome.
If I understand.. you're trying to access your company email without signing into your company account?

Do you use other exchange services.. address book.. calendar?
Not exactly - it's not signing into my firm account per se, it's getting into my phone. The phone has a selection of lock options built in. You can have nothing, or you can use a swipe pattern, face recog, a PIN, or a password. You can set the amount of time the phone takes to lock itself, but the max is 30 minutes. So if you're going to use the firms server and thus access your email, calendar, etc., it's a firm rule, enforced remotely by them, that you have to use either a PIN or a password. It affects everything about use of the phone, not only access to the firm account.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede wrote:Anonymous is starting to look a little better to you, isn't it? ;)
Why - because the firm was audacious enough to inconvenience me in attempting to protect confidential, attorney-client privileged, or proprietary information that it owns?

bannination
Captain

Unread post by bannination »

O Really wrote:
Why - because the firm was audacious enough to inconvenience me in attempting to protect confidential, attorney-client privileged, or proprietary information that it owns?

....and here you are trying to bypass it..... ;)

O Really
Admiral

bannination wrote:
O Really wrote:

....and here you are trying to bypass it..... ;)
Well, there's that. But that doesn't mean I don't understand why they do it or would want the system damaged.