Wireless Router

JTA
Commander

Wireless Router

Unread post by JTA »

It's about time I replace my router. I'm looking for something cheap yet reliable. Should I consider a simultaneous dual-band router? I do stream videos and play games from time-to-time, but I don't think I do it enough to have any noticeable impact on performance. Got any suggestions?
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

O Really
Admiral

Re: Wireless Router

Unread post by O Really »

Funny you should mention. I just had to replace mine. I read reviews, axked questions, and bought the Netgear 900.

Fast, totally easy to set up, and supports remote printing and shared drives and storage. Could not be happier. Not one of the cheapest, though.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Do any of you stream media over a wireless? I currently have a raspberry pi I use for streaming media and a desktop I use for remoting in to work when I need to, both are wired up, but I think I'll have to switch over to wireless in a few weeks. I don't really feel like running cables everywhere, but I fear wireless won't be fast enough for streaming/remoting in. Right now none none of my machines support 5ghz wireless, but I can fix that. What are your experiences? Do you think wireless would suffice? Would my money be better spent buying some cable and jacks, or should I just buy two new 5ghz wireless NICS? I won't be streaming anything over 720p.

bannination
Captain

Unread post by bannination »

I know wireless N has a hard time keeping up with anything that's blueray quality.

Perhaps a third option you haven't considered, powerline adapters. I haven't tried them myself, but have heard people have some luck. I think you can get up to around 500 Mbps.

Good old ethernet is probably the best way to go.... unfortunately.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

bannination wrote:I know wireless N has a hard time keeping up with anything that's blueray quality.

Perhaps a third option you haven't considered, powerline adapters. I haven't tried them myself, but have heard people have some luck. I think you can get up to around 500 Mbps.

I ordered one of those USB Wireless adapters. A friend told me his works well enough for remoting in to work. I don't know how well it'll work for streaming media though, but it's really the only option I have for my Raspberry Pi other than ethernet. We'll see.

bannination
Captain

Unread post by bannination »

JTA wrote:
bannination wrote:I know wireless N has a hard time keeping up with anything that's blueray quality.

I ordered one of those USB Wireless adapters. A friend told me his works well enough for remoting in to work. I don't know how well it'll work for streaming media though, but it's really the only option I have for my Raspberry Pi other than ethernet. We'll see.
Yeah, remoting in works fine for me even on wireless g.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Does anyone here use video streaming services like Hulu? Right now I use some free software that can be unreliable at times.

What I really want is something where I can stream certain channels, like CNN or Fox News.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Avoid D-Link routers for the next while. It turns out that many of them have a back door in the firmwear, and now everyone knows about it. Also several Planex routers that appear to use the same firmware.

Reverse Engineering a D-Link Backdoor

Disclaimer: In the interest of fairness I should mention that I'm banned from the D-Link forum. This after suggesting from experience that the key to owning a D-Link switch is to collect Air Miles off the shipping charges each time you send a switch back for repair. If you own four or more switches, by the time the warranties runs out you've paid for a trip to Europe and back.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

rstrong wrote:Avoid D-Link routers for the next while. It turns out that many of them have a back door in the firmwear, and now everyone knows about it. Also several Planex routers that appear to use the same firmware.

Reverse Engineering a D-Link Backdoor

Disclaimer: In the interest of fairness I should mention that I'm banned from the D-Link forum. This after suggesting from experience that the key to owning a D-Link switch is to collect Air Miles off the shipping charges each time you send a switch back for repair. If you own four or more switches, by the time the warranties runs out you've paid for a trip to Europe and back.
Good deal thanks for the info. I went with a Belkin router that seems to be working pretty well so far.