Does Anyone Still Use Cursive?

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
O Really
Admiral

Does Anyone Still Use Cursive?

Unread post by O Really »

Not me, and apparently not many others. Can you imagine trying to read Thornglish in cursive?

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/book ... ingle.html

Wneglia
Midshipman

Re: Does Anyone Still Use Cursive?

Unread post by Wneglia »

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Not that anyone could ever read a prescription anyway. ;) But why are any prescriptions still written in longhand?

k9nanny
General

Unread post by k9nanny »

O Really wrote:Not that anyone could ever read a prescription anyway. ;) But why are any prescriptions still written in longhand?
I like the form from urgent care; I can understand it. Longhand or typed, sig gtt ac bid doesn't mean much to people who ought to double check before handing over that piece of paper. My favorite is the T with the dot over it.

Yes, some of us still use cursive. Indeed, we enjoy forming curvy letters with the perfect pen. (Mine usually deteriorates into an uncanny resemblance to my father's handwriting.) My 85 year-old aunt appreciates emails, but if you send her a handwritten note, you get a thank-you card in return.
Se Non Ora, Quando?

Bungalow Bill
Ensign

Unread post by Bungalow Bill »

I use it all the time, especially when some jackass cuts me off in traffic. :oII

Wneglia
Midshipman

Unread post by Wneglia »

k9nanny wrote:
O Really wrote:Not that anyone could ever read a prescription anyway. ;) But why are any prescriptions still written in longhand?
I like the form from urgent care; I can understand it. Longhand or typed, sig gtt ac bid doesn't mean much to people who ought to double check before handing over that piece of paper. My favorite is the T with the dot over it.

Yes, some of us still use cursive. Indeed, we enjoy forming curvy letters with the perfect pen. (Mine usually deteriorates into an uncanny resemblance to my father's handwriting.) My 85 year-old aunt appreciates emails, but if you send her a handwritten note, you get a thank-you card in return.
Now prescriptions are done electronically for the most part. The latin abbreviations are translated into English, so we don't have to fool with stuff like AC (ante cibum-before meals) or qd (quaque die-once a day)

:mrgreen:

k9nanny
General

Unread post by k9nanny »

Wneglia wrote:
k9nanny wrote: Now prescriptions are done electronically for the most part. The latin abbreviations are translated into English, so we don't have to fool with stuff like AC (ante cibum-before meals) or qd (quaque die-once a day)

:mrgreen:
Hee hee.
I have a doctor customer who leaves me instructions in those funny little symbols and abbreviations.
Se Non Ora, Quando?