Idiot box thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Idiot box thread

Unread post by Vrede too »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:55 pm
It'll beat watching Harry Potter for the thirtieth time, the 1986 Masters of whatever other rerun is on.

Try drinking, bet it makes it more fun!
I'm not much of a drinker anymore, but I'll find a way 8-) .
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Vrede too wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:42 pm
This will be weird:
Saturday Night Live At Home
April 11, 2020

The cast of SNL performs sketches from remote locations, including Weekend Update.
I wonder if they can pull it off.
It'll beat watching Harry Potter for the thirtieth time, the 1986 Masters of whatever other rerun is on.

Sounds fun.

I've been watching 1st seasons of several old shows - SNL (or S and L as it's known by some), South Park, Simpsons, even Gunsmoke. There were a bunch where one episode was more than enough but still fun to see what i watched as a kid.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Yesterday afternoon, I saw Floyd the barber from Andy Griffin show on an old black and white Gunsmoke show. Also have seen James Coburn and Burt Reynolds on some old westerns from a time before they were famous. It's kind of weird.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Vrede too wrote:
This will be weird:
April 11, 2020

The cast of SNL performs sketches from remote locations, including Weekend Update.

Maybe I should have. Kudos for the attempt, but it didn't really work for me. I hated the Weekend Update laugh track, but it felt like the jokes would have still mostly fallen flat without the live studio audience.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:31 am
GoCubsGo wrote:
Vrede too wrote:
This will be weird:
April 11, 2020

Maybe I should have. Kudos for the attempt, but it didn't really work for me. I hated the Weekend Update laugh track, but it felt like the jokes would have still mostly fallen flat without the live studio audience.
Needed a live audience from remote locations
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:54 am
Interesting idea. I wonder if that would have worked or if it just would have just sounded like a bunch of individuals at their computer screens. Maybe with really good real-time sound mixing . . .
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

It's been interesting to see how various studios are working out the distancing-from-home programs. Our local CBS has it so smooth most of the time you wouldn't really notice it was remote if you didn't know. Good transition, interaction, sound, good lighting, and good screen distance, except for one sports guy who can't seem to keep his face far enough away and occasionally shows his nose hair. He'll probably be spoken to, I'd think. CBS This Morning also does a good job. On the other hand, Kelly/Ryan Live looks like tech-illiterate amateur hour. C'mon, Disney owns this show and ABC produces it! They can't send somebody pre-quarantined or in a tyvex suit over to set up cameras and sound?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:35 pm
Arrrrrgh! So "Jesus Christ Superstar" is on live on NBC. Been wanting to see this for decades, never have. Great music, great cast. And then several minutes of fucking commercials every 10 minutes or so! Too late to Tivo, Tivo is down anyway. Arrrrrgh!
Can you DVR now?

Jesus Christ Superstar Live in Concert
tonight, 7:00 PM (ET on NBC), 2 hrs 30 min 2018 TV-PG
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:21 pm
O Really wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:35 pm
Arrrrrgh! So "Jesus Christ Superstar" is on live on NBC. Been wanting to see this for decades, never have. Great music, great cast. And then several minutes of fucking commercials every 10 minutes or so! Too late to Tivo, Tivo is down anyway. Arrrrrgh!
Can you DVR now?

Jesus Christ Superstar Live in Concert
tonight, 7:00 PM (ET on NBC), 2 hrs 30 min 2018 TV-PG
Yes indeed. Thanks!

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:42 pm
It's been interesting to see how various studios are working out the distancing-from-home programs. Our local CBS has it so smooth most of the time you wouldn't really notice it was remote if you didn't know. Good transition, interaction, sound, good lighting, and good screen distance, except for one sports guy who can't seem to keep his face far enough away and occasionally shows his nose hair. He'll probably be spoken to, I'd think. CBS This Morning also does a good job. On the other hand, Kelly/Ryan Live looks like tech-illiterate amateur hour. C'mon, Disney owns this show and ABC produces it! They can't send somebody pre-quarantined or in a tyvex suit over to set up cameras and sound?
You got me interested, I may have to peek.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:16 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:54 am
Interesting idea. I wonder if that would have worked or if it just would have just sounded like a bunch of individuals at their computer screens. Maybe with really good real-time sound mixing . . .

It could have been funny in itself. Even a hundred or so family or other quarantined groups on cell phones could have done audio with maybe 10 doing video for live cut-away audience shots.
Maybe next week

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
... On the other hand, Kelly/Ryan Live looks like tech-illiterate amateur hour. C'mon, Disney owns this show and ABC produces it! They can't send somebody pre-quarantined or in a tyvex suit over to set up cameras and sound?
Just placing them the same distance from the camera would help with the illusion that they're side-by-side in a studio. Instead, we have puny Ryan and gigantor Kelly. I just caught a little while making coffee, can't say about the content lately.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:58 am
O Really wrote:
... On the other hand, Kelly/Ryan Live looks like tech-illiterate amateur hour. C'mon, Disney owns this show and ABC produces it! They can't send somebody pre-quarantined or in a tyvex suit over to set up cameras and sound?
Just placing them the same distance from the camera would help with the illusion that they're side-by-side in a studio. Instead, we have puny Ryan and gigantor Kelly. I just caught a little while making coffee, can't say about the content lately.
I had to look up gigantor.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:58 am
..., can't say about the content lately.
Horrible. All covid-related. I understand it's a national catastrophe, but there are lots of newsy people out there covering the topic from all angles. That's not Kelly's job. She's supposed to bring some light, somewhat mindless, humourous entertainment to the morning. To be someone you enjoy having morning coffee with. Somebody that gives a break from whatever is real life. I think she's handled events like major shootings or plane crashes or celebrity deaths well - a solomn note of condolence/sympathy, then move on with the show. It's Monday, though, maybe I'll give her another chance this week.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:43 am
Horrible. All covid-related. I understand it's a national catastrophe, but there are lots of newsy people out there covering the topic from all angles. That's not Kelly's job. She's supposed to bring some light, somewhat mindless, humourous entertainment to the morning. To be someone you enjoy having morning coffee with. Somebody that gives a break from whatever is real life. I think she's handled events like major shootings or plane crashes or celebrity deaths well - a solomn note of condolence/sympathy, then move on with the show. It's Monday, though, maybe I'll give her another chance this week.
I mostly change the channel with any CV-19 coverage or discussion. Even so, I get enough to pretty well keep up with the latest. Maybe no one is doing anything non CV-19 that's remarkable?

Twitter roasts 'potato' video quality of ESPN's horse competition

They all did their own video. I guess I sorta get not sending techs over, but can't they messenger top quality phone or other web-linked cameras? Sheesh, according to the ads entire movies have been shot on phone cameras.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

O Really wrote:
It's Monday, though, maybe I'll give her another chance this week.
Opps. Bad choice. Still awful video, awful sound, boring content.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:41 pm
O Really wrote:
:?: It's still Mon Apr 13, 2020 here in NC. What is it in SoCal? :P
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:46 pm
O Really wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:41 pm
O Really wrote:
:?: It's still Mon Apr 13, 2020 here in NC. What is it in SoCal? :P
It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:24 pm
It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
:D :thumbup:

Ellen from home is also pretty crummy, at times technically shaky and snoozer content other than when she's showing rerun clips. You'd think that with their writers, producers and budget they'd be able to come up with better, but maybe they all need to be in the same room for it to work.

I appreciate the effort, but I may give up on these shows from home.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:02 pm

Ellen from home is also pretty crummy, at times technically shaky and snoozer content other than when she's showing rerun clips. You'd think that with their writers, producers and budget they'd be able to come up with better, but maybe they all need to be in the same room for it to work.

I appreciate the effort, but I may give up on these shows from home.
Yeah, I just find it interesting how awful it is on stuff that should be easy for the average 8th grader. Like getting camera distance right, lighting good, and sound that doesn't sound like it's in a tunnel. As for conversational content, what's really different? Kelly and Ryan normally chatted about something they'd done, or their family, and fluffy news items or celeb news. Why can't they do that now?