2020 Elections

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
GoCubsGo
Admiral

Re: 2020 Elections

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Nice.

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:15 pm
Nice.
Also nice:
The Biden campaign is reaching out to Asian-Americans and Pacific Islanders with targeted ad campaign

Joe Biden’s presidential campaign announced on Friday a paid media campaign targeting Asian-American and Pacific Islander communities that will include ads airing nationally and in 16 key states. The push, first reported by Yahoo News, is one of the first major political advertising campaigns specifically aimed at reaching Asian-Americans and Pacific Islanders....
Excellent:
Strapped for cash, Trump yanks TV ads in key states as Biden spending surges

President Trump stopped all of his television and radio advertising in three states and substantially reduced it in four others in recent weeks after his lackluster fundraising left him unable to match a surge in spending by his Democratic challenger, Joe Biden.

Trump's retreat from Ohio, Iowa and New Hampshire reflects his struggle to change the dynamics of a race that polls suggest he is on track to lose. In the six weeks since his party's national convention, Trump's campaign has yanked more than $17 million in ads he'd previously booked in those states.

Two of them, Ohio and Iowa, are must-wins for the Republican president. Polls show him running almost dead even with the former vice president in both. Trump's withdrawal of advertising in those states — despite the risk — is a sign of his campaign's poor financial condition.

"It seems the Trump campaign has reached the point where they have to do some triage," said Travis Ridout, co-director of the Wesleyan Media Project, which tracks political ads. "They don't seem to have enough money to run ads everywhere."

By contrast, Biden has been sharply increasing his ad spending across the entire election map and has begun pouring money into states that once looked out of reach. Among them are Texas, Georgia, Ohio and Iowa. In the week that will end Monday, Biden's $36 million in TV and radio spots overall is double Trump's $18 million, according to Advertising Analytics, an ad tracking firm.

The reason for the disparity is clear: Trump has far less money than Biden. At the end of August, Biden reported $466 million in the bank, and Trump $325 million, according to filings at the Federal Election Commission and tallies shared by the campaigns....

Since the end of August, Trump has also cut $11 million in ad time that he'd previously reserved in Nevada, Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan, according to Advertising Analytics.

Part of what Trump is doing is shifting resources into states he sees as essential to get the 270 electoral votes he needs to win a second term in the Nov. 3 election: Florida, Georgia, North Carolina and Arizona. Trump added $18 million to the ad spending he'd already reserved for the last six weeks in those states.

Trump's financial strain is also showing in Pennsylvania, another state he can't afford to lose. After pulling about $2 million in ads he'd planned to run there in September, he has ramped up spending in Pennsylvania in the last couple of weeks.

In its hunt for quick cash, the Trump campaign has been making urgent appeals. In the 24 hours ending Friday morning, one potential donor received 13 emails and five text messages with pleas for money from Trump, Vice President Mike Pence and others. Subject lines included "Basement Biden," "Totally and Completely Corrupt," and "Kamala Was a Mess," alluding to Pence's debate Wednesday with California Sen. Kamala Harris, Biden's running mate.

In the campaign's final weeks, Trump could shift priorities and spend heavily in states where he has pulled back. But more than 9 million Americans have already cast their ballots and more people vote each day, so the target audience is steadily shrinking....

Trump's woes are clear in the latest polls. Biden has widened his lead nationwide to 10 percentage points, according to a FiveThirtyEight aggregate of public surveys.

More threatening to Trump is the daunting electoral college map: Polls show Biden ahead in every state that Hillary Clinton carried in 2016 and in nine of those that went for Trump.

Voters prefer Biden by more than 5 percentage points in the three states Trump won by tiny margins: Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania. Biden holds narrower leads in six other states that Trump carried: Florida, Arizona, North Carolina, Iowa, Ohio and Georgia....
I'm disgusted by the dollar amounts, but until we get sane rules I'm happy that PINO has less of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0DMpKeH8bQ
:---P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6T5BrmBVV5Q

Whoa.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

The Biden spot with Cindy McCain is running here in TN. So far, I'm seeing about the same number of spots for trump here as Biden.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

neoplacebo wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:59 am
The Biden spot with Cindy McCain is running here in TN. So far, I'm seeing about the same number of spots for trump here as Biden.
Surprised, didn't think Tenn is in play.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:50 am
neoplacebo wrote:
Neo's station likely has a market overlap in WNC.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:49 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
neoplacebo wrote:
Yeah, and southwest Virginia and I'd think.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:39 pm
O Really wrote:
Yeah, and southwest Virginia and I'd think.
I don't think Virginia is in play for POTUS, either.

It could also be that Biden has so much money to burn that he's supporting select down ticket Dems by running ads in their districts. The Cindy McCain ad is a good one for that.

People are waiting in line 1-3 hours to vote early in Greenville County, SC. Good for them, but I hate lines. I can vote early starting Thurs. If there's a long line I'll vote absentee by mail or drop off and hope it counts.
Last edited by Vrede too on Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

O Really wrote:
GoCubsGo wrote:
neoplacebo wrote:
The local provider is Sinclair, a notorious advocate and purveyor of right wing dumbfuckery.....a veritable hotbed of ignorance. But they can't control the national networks they depend on. They do have an extensive network of local tv channels they can savagely manipulate; some of the local news folks here are obvious trumpers and I never watch them unless I want to be dumbfounded.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Why would anyone vote for this yahoo?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:08 pm
Because Moscow Mitch is a giggling stoner?

Alaska's Senate race rocked by leaked videos, China ties and even a dead bear

:wtf:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:16 am
... Some folks are now calling NC a toss up thanks to Dem Cunningham's affair. The Moscow Mitch PAC ads are saying that he was screwing "another veteran's wife." :roll: ...
Or not.

Cal Cunningham surprisingly increases lead in North Carolina Senate race in 1st poll period after texting scandal

Private GOP survey shows Trump losing ground in solidly red states like Kansas: NYT

Montana, Kansas, Missouri, Georgia, Texas, and Arizona?????!!!!!

Whack9, is this your family's district or are they more central NJ?
Here are the 11 House races to watch on Election Day

... Endangered GOP incumbents (3)

... New Jersey 02: (Party-switching GOP incumbent Jeff Van Drew is running against Democrat Amy Kennedy) ...
New Jersey's 2nd congressional district

1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:34 am
GoCubsGo wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:08 pm
Because Moscow Mitch is a giggling stoner?

Alaska's Senate race rocked by leaked videos, China ties and even a dead bear

:wtf:
Alaska? Hmm.
I'd think at least the women oh Kentucky would have some sort of sense of pride and be disgusted enough by Mitch.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:28 am
... I'd think at least the women of Kentucky would have some sort of sense of pride and be disgusted enough by Mitch.
Those women left Kentucky. :D

Of the 2020 likely purple states that one or more of us have a connection to, which will give Joe the highest and lowest percentage of votes? My guess, in descending order:
ME, PA, NC, FL, GA, TX, SC.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

The first 2 posts in this thread:
rstrong wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:47 pm
Vrede too wrote:I might vote for Kanye rather than Hillary for a 2nd term, if he's dumped Kim by then.
A black guy, with an African-sounding name, from Chicago, whose father left him, who as a kid spend time in Asia and went to school there....

The bigots and birthers in the Republican party will be able to republish all their wingnuttery after a simple global search & replace on the names.
What a difference 5 years makes.

:roll:

Article
1312. ETTD.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:00 am
Vrede too wrote:
... Some folks are now calling NC a toss up thanks to Dem Cunningham's affair. The Moscow Mitch PAC ads are saying that he was screwing "another veteran's wife." :roll: ...
Or not.

Cal Cunningham surprisingly increases lead in North Carolina Senate race in 1st poll period after texting scandal

Private GOP survey shows Trump losing ground in solidly red states like Kansas: NYT

... New Jersey 02: (Party-switching GOP incumbent Jeff Van Drew is running against Democrat Amy Kennedy) ...

That's my family's district. My mom is voting for the first time in her life this year.
I paid my fees to hip-hop college, sucka!

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:06 pm
The first 2 posts in this thread:
rstrong wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:47 pm
Vrede too wrote:I might vote for Kanye rather than Hillary for a 2nd term, if he's dumped Kim by then.
A black guy, with an African-sounding name, from Chicago, whose father left him, who as a kid spend time in Asia and went to school there....

The bigots and birthers in the Republican party will be able to republish all their wingnuttery after a simple global search & replace on the names.
What a difference 5 years makes.

:roll:

Article
Illegally bought and brought to you by Jared and the Trump campaign,

but in true 2020 form nothing will be done.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Whack9 wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:51 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Vrede too wrote:
Or not.

That's my family's district. My mom is voting for the first time in her life this year.
Yeah Mom
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

Still can't get my brother out to vote...
I paid my fees to hip-hop college, sucka!

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Whack9 wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:53 pm
Still can't get my brother out to vote...
That wouldn't stand in the way of a republican brother.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Whack9 wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:51 pm
Vrede too wrote:

Will she be voting Dem? If so, she COULD be part of an historic seat flip and a blue wave.

One site: Toss-up
1312. ETTD.