Idiot box thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
O Really
Admiral

Re: Idiot box thread

Unread post by O Really »

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:20 pm
All Creatures Great and Small

PBS

The numerous adventures of a friendly staff at a country veterinarian practice in 1930s to 1940s Yorkshire. A remake of the 1978-1990 series. Taken from the autobiographical books by James Herriot.
I've only watched Episode 3, but looks good. It's nice recalling the books I loved as a kid.
Yes, it's very good once you get to know the characters. It's a re-make of the original series, but everything is true to the stories and characters. You can go back and stream episodes 1 and 2 from PBS. They're worth the time.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:24 pm
Yes, it's very good once you get to know the characters. It's a re-make of the original series, but everything is true to the stories and characters. You can go back and stream episodes 1 and 2 from PBS. They're worth the time.
Good idea, thanks!

Episode 1 expires 01/24/21. Gonna watch now, hope it doesn't cut off at MN. Maybe I'm safe being in EST.
Episode 2 expires 01/31/21.
Episode 3 expires 02/07/21.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:38 pm
O Really wrote:
... You can go back and stream episodes 1 and 2 from PBS. They're worth the time.
Good idea, thanks!

Episode 1 expires 01/24/21. Gonna watch now, hope it doesn't cut off at MN. Maybe I'm safe being in EST....
:thumbup: Good episode.

I refreshed the page afterwards. It now says "Expires: 01/10/24". :D
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Brand new show on SyFy:
Resident Alien

It follows a crash-landed alien named Harry who takes on the identity of a small-town Colorado doctor, slowly begins to wrestle with the moral dilemma of his secret mission on Earth.
:laughing-rolling:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:29 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:22 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:10 pm
It's a shame they're (SNL) still on a holiday break. When it returns there may be some good inauguration jokes, but the Capitol riot jokes will probably be stale.
C'mon, the Horn Guy? There's a Pence skit there somewhere.
They'll try and may even succeed with some, but it would have been better last Sat or tonight. Former PINO's unearned and over the top departure show should provide some good fodder.
That's a little stale now, too. Live tonight :clap: . That was a long winter break.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

This was pretty good.

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:19 am
This was pretty good.
:thumbup: . . . and pretty sad. Full cold open:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LqK8GiIMYw
Spoiler:
Only Tom Brady "Still Works", and this was aired 8 days before the Super Bowl.
Last night I fired up a bowl and tuned in to:

The Negotiator - SNL

:lol: 8-) except that I'm still seeing the Weed Gummies.

I liked the start of Weekend Update:

Weekend Update: Trump Acquitted in Second Impeachment - SNL

Later in WE was mention of:

Aunt Jemima No More; Pancake Brand Renamed Pearl Milling Company

Michael Che: "Pearl Milling is the name of the White lady that owned Aunt Jemima."

:laughing-rofl:
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Alex Moffit nails Tucker Carlson.

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Vrede too wrote:

PBS

... looks good. It's nice recalling the books I loved as a kid.
Did you catch who this is? She died in Sept aged 82, and this is her last TV appearance. I didn't notice at the time and just now stumbled on it on YT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSBA2D-s-ls
Spoiler:
Diana Rigg, doh!

1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Yes, I knew that. And Emma Peel was one of my favorites from yore. Dame Diana still looked good for her age, too.

O Really
Admiral

New shows:
"The Equalizer" - Queen Latifah plays civilian Jane Bond. Fairly entertaining, if the storylines stay good.

"Clarice" - Poor Clarice, PTSD'd from her original adventure, colleagues are jealous, boss doesn't like her, her shrink thinks she's not fit for duty, and yet she seems to be the only one able to find an answer. Might give it one more, but so far it's not promising.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:32 am
New shows:
"The Equalizer" - Queen Latifah plays civilian Jane Bond. Fairly entertaining, if the storylines stay good.

I shunned it due to tepid reviews, 4.2/10, and not being a Latifah fan, but I'll give it a try now.

"Clarice" - Poor Clarice, PTSD'd from her original adventure, colleagues are jealous, boss doesn't like her, her shrink thinks she's not fit for duty, and yet she seems to be the only one able to find an answer. Might give it one more, but so far it's not promising.

:thumbup: So far, so good. More true to the original than I might have expected.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:03 am

:thumbup: So far, so good. More true to the original than I might have expected.
[/quote]

Rebecca Breeds does have Jodie Foster's Clarice voice down - especially good for an Aussie - and if you don't look too close and don't wear your glasses, she's got the look. The story (so far)seems more Erin Brockovich though.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:47 am
O Really wrote:
Vrede too wrote:

PBS

... looks good. It's nice recalling the books I loved as a kid.
Did you catch who this is? She died in Sept aged 82, and this is her last TV appearance. I didn't notice at the time and just now stumbled on it on YT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSBA2D-s-ls
Spoiler:
Diana Rigg, doh!

Wouldn't have recognized her but had checked the actors before I started watching.
I'm up with all episodes and it has been consistently good. Beautiful countryside.

Have you seen the original series?
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:24 pm
Wouldn't have recognized her but had checked the actors before I started watching.
I'm up with all episodes and it has been consistently good. Beautiful countryside.

No, but I'll wait until the end of the current series. Wouldn't want one to detract from or muddle the other.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:24 pm

Yes, including when it was shown not all that long before the new one came out. But it took only one or two episodes to adjust to the new actors in the roles. They picked them very well. Mrs. Hall got younger, but otherwise no real difference. Here's the original characters..

O Really
Admiral

Two other PBS shows have caught our interest. Actually, they're basically the same show with different time/locale.

"Frankie Drake" - a story of a female private detective in Toronto in the 20's.
"Miss Scarlet and the Duke" - a story of a female private detective in London in 1880's.

Light entertainment, excellent costuming, not comedy, but with good humour. IMNVHO, "Frankie Drake" is the better of the two, but "Miss Scarlet" is only a 6-part series so it will be gone soon anyway.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

I wish they'd bring back those old test patterns you'd see after the station went off the air. Those things had all kinds of circles and lines and other visual nuance. I always wondered if tv repairmen back then only worked at night when the test patterns were on so they could calibrate those old televisions and whether their drinking made their efforts useless.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:59 pm
Two other PBS shows have caught our interest. Actually, they're basically the same show with different time/locale.

"Frankie Drake" - a story of a female private detective in Toronto in the 20's.
"Miss Scarlet and the Duke" - a story of a female private detective in London in 1880's.

Light entertainment, excellent costuming, not comedy, but with good humour. IMNVHO, "Frankie Drake" is the better of the two, but "Miss Scarlet" is only a 6-part series so it will be gone soon anyway.
I like the 20s, so I'll start with Frankie.
Interesting characters in the first 5 minutes.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

neoplacebo wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:42 pm
I wish they'd bring back those old test patterns you'd see after the station went off the air. Those things had all kinds of circles and lines and other visual nuance. I always wondered if tv repairmen back then only worked at night when the test patterns were on so they could calibrate those old televisions and whether their drinking made their efforts useless.
Just cast this from your phone to a 19" tv and it will be like you're a kid again.

https://youtu.be/PqO5R6lljEY