The Religion Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: The Religion Thread

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Ulysses wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:58 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:19 pm
The water in the Baptismal Font should be dyed red. If the priest had done that it would have more than made up for one wrong word. Stupid.
Really? I've not seen that many baptisms, but I've never seen one with water dyed red.

Is that the habit in your denomination?
It's the habit of Christian ritual to symbolically drink the blood of Jesus and eat his flesh. There's a Christian song titled "Washed in The Blood" and I just think it would be appropriate, as well as visually stimulating, to see converts being dunked into a font of blood. The best blood would be from China but low rent churches could also use cows blood to save money. Or pig blood to get in a good anti Jewish / anti Muslim statement at the same time. I don't know how they do it in your denomination of mandatory lobotomy and gratuitous ass kicking. Hominy don't play that.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

neoplacebo wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:36 am
Ulysses wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:58 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:19 pm
The water in the Baptismal Font should be dyed red. If the priest had done that it would have more than made up for one wrong word. Stupid.
Really? I've not seen that many baptisms, but I've never seen one with water dyed red.

Is that the habit in your denomination?
It's the habit of Christian ritual to symbolically drink the blood of Jesus and eat his flesh. There's a Christian song titled "Washed in The Blood" and I just think it would be appropriate, as well as visually stimulating, to see converts being dunked into a font of blood. The best blood would be from China but low rent churches could also use cows blood to save money. Or pig blood to get in a good anti Jewish / anti Muslim statement at the same time. I don't know how they do it in your denomination of mandatory lobotomy and gratuitous ass kicking. Hominy don't play that.
Only symbolically, and I believe it's only in the Catholic faith that drinks wine which is supposed to represent Jesus' blood. Most if not all Protestant faiths do not allow wine into the service.

Perhaps you were raised in some vile offshoot? If so, I don't blame you for being so... you...

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

I blame you for crawling out of CT and then going as far as you could. When will you be driving to Hawaii? And will you drive on to Japan after that? I don't have time for this puerile shit; I've only got today and tomorrow to arrange for the Red Cross to deliver vast quantities of blood to the churches around here. No time for symbolic offshoots such as yourself.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Ulysses wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:21 am

Only symbolically, and I believe it's only in the Catholic faith that drinks wine which is supposed to represent Jesus' blood. Most if not all Protestant faiths do not allow wine into the service.
Opps.

Wine
Many Protestant churches use wine for communion just as Catholics do. However, many denominations, such as United Methodists and Baptists, use unfermented grape juice instead of wine. The Church of Latter Day Saints (Mormons) drink water during communion. Abstaining from drinking wine during communion allows children, teenagers and recovering alcoholics to join in the ceremony as well.

History
The use of unfermented grape juice for communion dates back to the late 1800s when there was a strong movement against drinking alcohol and most Protestant churches of the time turned to the alternate beverage. Thomas Welch, a Methodist pastor who strongly objected to the use of wine in communion, invented what is known as modern grape juice. By applying Louis Pasteur’s pasteurization process to grapes, he was able to stop the grapes from fermenting and turning into wine. After a struggle, he was able to get his own church and many others to substitute this unfermented grape juice for wine, and his son, Charles Welch, developed the famous grape juice company with their name that thrives today.

https://classroom.synonym.com/protestan ... 85963.html

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Jesus' first miracle was turning water into wine. Hard act to follow......Welch was misguided and wrongheaded.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

OK I guess I went to a more refined - or less refined - church. They didn't hand out ANYTHING at services. Maybe wafers. But definitely no wine or even grape juice.

O Really
Admiral

It's a pretty icky ritual no matter the substance used. Drinking blood and engaging in cannibalism - even symbolically - is kinda far out there if you think about it - which the communion partakers obviously do not. Weirder if one really believes that TwoBuck Chuck is really going to turn into blood yet still tastes like cheap wine, but also weird if one just says "I'm going to pretend to drink blood."

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

neoplacebo wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:12 am
Jesus' first miracle was turning water into wine. Hard act to follow......Welch was misguided and wrongheaded.
Welch's miracle was turning wine into grape juice. No one invited him to parties.

None of that symbolic vampire and cannibal shit for me. My church hands out chocolate milkshakes and hits of blotter LSD.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

We're Seven Day Adventurists.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

I won't say what Protestant denomination I was raised in, in order to avoid the expected trashing from the BRD peanut gallery, but IMHO it was relatively refined compared to the primitive rituals of other churches.

The sermon I remember the most revolved around doing and saying good and kind things. Something we all could probably benefit from.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... ersion=NIV

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Awww, you po' widdle victim.
Ulysses wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:29 pm
(signature: obsessed :crybaby: )
Vrede means "Peace" in Dutch, whiny moron.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Ulysses wrote:
I won't say what Protestant denomination I was raised in, in order to avoid the expected trashing from the BRD peanut gallery, but IMHO it was relatively refined compared to the primitive rituals of other churches.

The sermon I remember the most revolved around doing and saying good and kind things. Something we all could probably benefit from.

Well, that narrows it down to a couple of choices, Friend.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Ulysses wrote:

You won't name it not in an effort to "avoid the expected trashing...." but in an effort to save that denomination the shame and degradation such a referral from you would cause them. Hell, they'd likely be able to sue you for all your stock, most of the cars, eight cats, and the largest koi on the place. I'd not say anything either if I were you.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

O Really wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:18 pm
Ulysses wrote:

Well, that narrows it down to a couple of choices, Friend.
Such as?

bannination
Captain

Unread post by bannination »

This is fun.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

bannination wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 5:25 pm

This is fun.
You're late to the party!

viewtopic.php?p=157604#p157604
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

Hmm.

Makes me wonder if I could save on taxes by turning my workshop into a church.

Probably been done before.

bannination
Captain

Unread post by bannination »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 5:39 pm
bannination wrote:

This is fun.

Oh man... 3 days late.... what a fail.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

neoplacebo wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:15 pm
Ulysses wrote:

You won't name it not in an effort to "avoid the expected trashing...." but in an effort to save that denomination the shame and degradation such a referral from you would cause them. Hell, they'd likely be able to sue you for all your stock, most of the cars, eight cats, and the largest koi on the place. I'd not say anything either if I were you.
No, I won't name it because crazies like you, Neoplacebo, would try to use it to demonize the church and me. I'm tired of your oh so stupid games, boy.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

bannination wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 5:45 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 5:39 pm
bannination wrote:

This is fun.

Oh man... 3 days late.... what a fail.
Not as big a fail as Greg Locke.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.